Recommend a Book!

Options
Hey everyone,

Just coming on here to see if I can get any book recommendations for gaining muscle. I find it hard to gain muscle (or maybe it's just because muscle comes slowly and I'm not aware I'm average), but I'm just looking for any recommendations for books that worked for other people.

I'm not necessarily looking for new workouts or new exercises--I can Google that easily--but just books that talk about the overall "method" of gaining muscle, how to structure a workout, how to structure eating habits around a workout, etc. I could Google that as well, but sometimes I need to give my eyes a break from screens. And I prefer reading paper to reading screens anyway. Something to put the fun back in learning.

And I know this is in the Fitness and Exercise category of the forum, but, hey, if you guys know some great recipe books--nutrient-dense desserts or just some alternatives to the ol' salad and egg whites diet--I'm all ears on that too!

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If I had to pick just one, Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" would be it. For the lifting stuff, anyhow. Don't particularly agree with his diet recommendations.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Supple Leopard by Kelley Starrett
  • lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm definitely gonna check these out next chance I get. Keep 'em coming.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've heard that "new rules of lifting" is good for technique, but I'm not sure about the nutrition recommendations since I've never read it.

Also, give this a read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners
  • fstbusa
    fstbusa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    +1 for Becoming a Supple Leopard by Kelley Starrett
    Fat Loss Happens on Monday by Josh Hillis

If you like kettlebells: Simple and Sinister by Pavel Tsatsouline
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Supple Leopard
    Intervention by Dan John
    Easy Strength by Pavel Tsatsouline and Dan John