I finally drank 8 8oz glasses of water in one day

Options
i am 37 yrs old and always been 350+. I am currently about 9 lbs down in about 2-3 weeks but i do say i thought drinking a ton of water would make me retain and skew my weight loss but last night the most amazing thing happened. i drank all the 8 glasses of water and got up this morning and lost 0.8lbs. i also want to thank all the people that said get a food scale it was the best investment after what i thought was a portion really wasnt a true portion i was mordifed by how many calories i was adding by not measuring.

Replies

• determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Ironically, drinking extra water helps you NOT retain water. Don't be afraid to drink what you need for that reason! :)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Yeah I felt the same way when I bought my food scale.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    YAHOO!!! Way to go! That's a fantastic result! Working hard to take care of yourself really pays off! Keep up that water intake!
  • summers09jo
    summers09jo Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I struggle with drinking water too but reading this now I will deffo start and try and drink the 2 litres a day!
  • cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    great job! I need to increase my water intake!
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    That's great news. Slow and steady! Congrats on a great start!
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    B)cheering_minions.gif
  • mocadet95
    mocadet95 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! I am terrible at drinking water I used to only be able to drink 2 cups to 3 cups a day, but my kidneys are already damaged from surgeries and then last year I began having problems with kidney stones so it was crucial for me to begin eating right and drinking enough. It's so hard especially when I have only been drinking 2 cups a day for years! I found it easier to do when I got a cute little cup to carry around while I go to my college classes it helps motivate me to drink more. !! Keep going! Water is so beneficial and crucial part of weight loss.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Newsflash: you didn't have to.

Drink when you're thirsty, not to make some silly arbitrary and worthless quota of ounces/cups.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Here is an article debunking the 8 glasses/day myth:
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
  • determined_14
    determined_14 Posts: 258 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Drink when you're thirsty, not to make some silly arbitrary and worthless quota of ounces/cups.

Yeah, I wanted to say something about this too. Apparently I have way more confidence in the human body knowing what it needs than a lot of people, because I see stuff all the time about "if you're thirsty, it's already too late!" and "_% of us are dehydrated." Nonsense! What is thirst for if its not the body's way of saying, "Hey, get a drink."? (Though I do think some of us have gone without drinking much for long enough that we might need some external reminders to drink a little extra. Just like some of us have hunger signals that don't work very well and have to be retrained.)
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It sounds like you are off to a great start!

If you have a hard time with plain water, try drinking herbal tea...without sugar, of course!
  • amitkatz0
    amitkatz0 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Drinking a lot of water is good, but don't get too excited about that shift on the scale. Your body will normally fluctuate within 2-5 lbs. If you weigh yourself tomorrow and you found that you went up 2 lbs are you going to stop drinking water? Don't focus on micro goals, take a broad view.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

If I only drink when I'm thirsty I'll only drink like 1 glass of water all day lol. I have to make myself drink water to actually feel thirsty and will drink even if I don't notice thirst in order to prevent dehydration. I need at least ~100oz of water for this purpose.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

It is a myth--many of us need a lot more. I find that 10 cups a day is my minimum. If I am working out hard or the weather is warm, being closer to 14 is better.

Judge by how you feel and the color of your urine.
  • teamster83
    teamster83 Posts: 20 Member
    Options

It is a myth--many of us need a lot more. I find that 10 cups a day is my minimum. If I am working out hard or the weather is warm, being closer to 14 is better.

well thank fot the ones that gave encouragement and I can see we have ones that gotta troll and ruin tho conversation. I won't be making anymore post.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    teamster83 wrote: »

well thank fot the ones that gave encouragement and I can see we have ones that gotta troll and ruin tho conversation. I won't be making anymore post.

It's the internet, not everyone is going to agree with you, and you don't have to agree with what everyone says. You should really spend more time on the forums, you will learn a lot, and you'll find that the "mean" ones are really good at debunking bad information and listening to them will prevent you from wasting a lot of time peeing into the wind.

That being said, I agree that some people need less water and some need more depending on activity levels, etc. If you are hydrated, your urine will be pale yellow/clear. All liquids can count toward your water goal, so if you get burned out on plain water, add in teas, diet soda, and flavored waters to help meet your hydration requirements. I prefer not to drink my calories, but if your liquid has calories, you should factor them into your daily goals.

Also +1 on the weight fluctuations comment. Don't be discouraged if tomorrow the scale is a bit higher. You want to look for a downward trend over time.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options

You think THAT was trolling? :neutral_face:

People just said their opinion is all, this is a discussion forum that is what it's for...
  • teamster83
    teamster83 Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am not going to respond to your comment. A freaking thank you has to turn into a freaking pissing contest geez. Everyone is a expert
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Disagreeing or pointing out an error/correcting misconceptions is NOT trolling.