Unhealthy not eating...

Options
I find that when I really want something unhealthy to eat instead of picking something healthy to satisfy my cravings I'll just not eat. I'd rather not eat at all then eat something I don't really want. Like right now. My stomach is growling and I'm hungry but the only healthy things I have are oatmeal or greek yogurt. none of these things are appealing to me at the moment so Id rather just not eat anything. I know that this will lead to binging because in a couple of hours Im going to be so hungry that I'll just give in and eat crap. Any ideas on how I can keep myself from doing this?

Replies

• ♥Lexi♥
    ♥Lexi♥ Posts: 126
    Options
    EAT!
    First off, you need to eat filling healthy foods. If you want, you can try to eat a larger portion for breakfast and eat a smaller meal for lunch and dinner.
    You may also consider speaking to a nutritionist.
    Good luck!
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    This may seem a bit over simplistic, but it's really important to keep a variety of healthy foods in stock at all times. Right now, if all you have on have is oatmeal and greek yogurt, then that's what you need to eat! Do you have any cinnamon, fruit or peanut butter on hand to add to either one to make them more appealing to you?
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    part of learning to be successful is learning to eat to live... no longer living to eat *S*
    the oatmeal OR the greek yogurt, maybe with a lil fruit.. are great options for fuel *S*

good luck in your journey
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    EAT!!

I do know what you mean about the cravings, but if you don't know what you want then you should eat what you have. If you want something specific then you should eat that.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Stock up on Healthy foods around the house. By not eating your hurting your weight lose goal more then eating the wrong type of foods. Your metabolism is slowing down and that will make it harder to lose weight.

I know where your coming from. My husband loves chips and we always have them on hand. I am trying to lose weight so I DO have the house stocked with healthy alternatives, and I can go eat a healthy snack but still want the chips. So i do a barter system. i eat the proportion size of the unhealthy food along with a healthy one, a glass of water. I also tell myself i have to try to burn half of the calories of the unhealthy food I eat.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Eat a small amount of the unhealthy food! Learn proper portion control because you WILL face these foods your entire weight loss journey. Yes take away your weakest food (like ice cream for me) but if you want a reese's cup, have 1 and freeze the other. Will you make mistakes? absolutly!

Everyone else is right also, you need to allow more variety in your house to make the weight loss easier. The less variety the more likely you are to fail. I went fruit shopping yesterday and ended up with 3 different types of melons, oranges, mangos, and apples, we already have grapes at home. I bought lower cal, thinner sliced bread because I still like bread, I have oatmeal on a regular basis and yes I sweeten it, I cant stand greek yogurt, or yogurt with fruit chunks (texture thing) so the yogurt I eat isnt the best out there, with the lowest sugar, but I enjoy it and eat it in portion control. I cook my chicken in bulk so I have extra that all I have to do is reheat.

Please feel free to look at my diary, its possible to lose weight and not deprive yourself.

Also, you may want to look at your goals, if you are set at 1200 cals a day and ALWAYS hungry, change your goals so you have a slightly higher caloric intake and gently reduce to 1200.
  • grandmanita
    grandmanita Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Eat the oatmeal if not for flavor then for fuel, so that you won't binge later. When you have an option, take it, those are the sensible choices that will get you to your goal.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    add a tbspn of peanut butter or almond butter to the greek yoghurt. It is awesome tastes like a treat and is good for you!:smile:
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I def think that the problem is not having enough choices in the house. Money has been really tight the last couple months and Ive been living on the bare minimum when it comes to food. I usually eat at my moms a couple nights a week bc I get sick of having the same things all the time. I spent $50 at red lobster the other night which could have been spent on groceries but it was my moms birthday and I wanted to treat her. I guess Im finding that this lifestyle change means I need to budget better too. who woulda thunk it?!
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    I'd rather eat unhealthy than starve myself.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you are really finding this a problem, seriously just ban stuff. If it's not good for you it's not good for anyone else. Bring in all low-calorie alternatives. If you don't allow food in the house which you consider an "unhealthy binge" then you can't slip up. Have instead the ingredients to do super quick home-baked cookies, muffins etc - MUCH cheaper than shop-bought and you can control what goes in. I make 12 muffins for under 100 calories each even with chocolate or blueberry, they take about 20 minutes to make in total, or less. Compare that to Starbucks muffins for 400+ calories, not too dissimilar to supermarket brand, and you can binge away to your heart's delight!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's a mind set thing. If you always think of food as unhealthy=taste good and healthy=tasteless you will never retrained your body to enjoy eating in a way that's good for you.
    If you don't like oatmeal or greek yogurt, but tolerate it because it's "good for you" then perhaps you should find some healthier foods that you enjoy eating. You won't lose if you are eating regular, good meal and making good choices in snacks.

I love french fries and when I changed my eating habits I decided I didn't want to give them up. What I could do was give up fast food french fries. I make oven fries and plan my daily meals around having my french fries. I also plan and try to keep on hand foods I can eat when certain craving hit whether it be sweet, creamy or salty. Don't set yourself up to fail, plan as much as possible.

ETA: I took a peek at your diary and I noticed you are eating a lot of prepackages food. They are killer if you are on a budget. Also I would recommend monitoring your sugar because I'm pretty certain you are going way over. Pre packaged foods are often full of salt and sugar. Not only that they make it difficult to eat a more balanced diet because the taste buds get trained to desire that salt and sugar intake. This is part of what makes it difficult for some to drink plain water that lacks that sugar spike. Additionally if you know you are going out to eat at a restaurant, plan for that and go a little lighter with your calories during the day. It will help you not go over on your sodium and sugar levels.

Feel free to friend me if you like
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Lots of wise words here.

My advice is to eat WHAT you like. You just have to account for it in your meal plan. And if there are foods that are binge-inducing, DO NOT HAVE THEM IN THE HOUSE.

I think it's great what you did for your mom - that's a caring daughter. You have to take a hit in your budget, and that's too bad, but overall, you can be glad you did it and proud as well.

If you seriously think you cannot stand another moment of eating "just" greek yogurt or oatmeal - well, then, don't stand for it. Eat something else. But - do some stuff along with it. Tell yourself you can have a small portion of "X" (whatever "X" is) after you take a tall drink of water, you go for a walk for 15 minutes, and then have another glass of water. That way, you *ARE* eating more of what you want, but you are pacing it with other alternatives.

You might just be bored or anxious or stressed or lonely or angry or whatever. Food's a great comfort at times, but it's not your best friends: best friends don't sabotage you.

So be glad of the good things you've done, indulge a little in what you want, and remember that your goal is to get healthy one step at a time.

Don't give up. You're on the way.

AND KEEP POSTING AND STAY IN TOUCH WITH PEOPLE! <OK, "Dad" voice off>
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If you are really finding this a problem, seriously just ban stuff. If it's not good for you it's not good for anyone else. Bring in all low-calorie alternatives. If you don't allow food in the house which you consider an "unhealthy binge" then you can't slip up. Have instead the ingredients to do super quick home-baked cookies, muffins etc - MUCH cheaper than shop-bought and you can control what goes in. I make 12 muffins for under 100 calories each even with chocolate or blueberry, they take about 20 minutes to make in total, or less. Compare that to Starbucks muffins for 400+ calories, not too dissimilar to supermarket brand, and you can binge away to your heart's delight!

Brilliant advice. I don't buy things that are unhealthy, that I cannot eat in moderation. E.g. I could never buy a tub of Ben and Jerry's ice cream, because I'd just eat it instead of a fruit salad. I do however buy things like cheese to put in a salad, because I can moderate myself with cheese and still enjoy it!
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    Stock up on Healthy foods around the house. By not eating your hurting your weight lose goal more then eating the wrong type of foods. Your metabolism is slowing down and that will make it harder to lose weight.

I know where your coming from. My husband loves chips and we always have them on hand. I am trying to lose weight so I DO have the house stocked with healthy alternatives, and I can go eat a healthy snack but still want the chips. So i do a barter system. i eat the proportion size of the unhealthy food along with a healthy one, a glass of water. I also tell myself i have to try to burn half of the calories of the unhealthy food I eat.

My suggestion to you is have your chips... GET THE KELLOGGS SPECIAL K CRACKER CHIPS!!!! They are simply FANTASTIC!! They are what keep me happy when I need a few chips!!! Blessings for continued success!!!!
  • goldninja
    goldninja Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This all depends on what the craving is. If you are looking for something sweet, it's ok to have something sweet. The problem is portion control. Following that 60g or 1/2 cup of a portion on the ice cream container for 100 calories is hard, but it definately puts a dent in the sweet craving. For a salty craving choose popcorn or pretzels over chips or dips. If you just want a greasy burger, Get one but cut it in half. This is definately not for everyday cravings, just the major ones that keep you from eating at all.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    if possible, throw away the bad stuff that you are craving. it is very empowering proof of your self control to grind it into the disposal or something similar
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    You are the only one who can choose what you will or will not eat. Make decisions about such things before you get hungry, buy good foods that you will eat when you are hungry. If oatmeal and yogurt don't fill the bill for you, then buy other things that will.

You are attempting to make changes that will affect the rest of your life. That's not easy, you should expect some challenges, but this business of binging is inconsistent with those decisions and you should consider why you set yourself up this way. You are not helpless against cravings and hunger pangs. If there's nothing but oatmeal and yogurt and you're hungry you have a few choices. A) Go buy something healthy that does appeal to you. B) Eat something healthy that does not appeal to you so that you can satisfy your body's need for food and promise yourself to make better shopping choices next time. C) Disregard your previous promises to yourself and eat whatever you want and feel bad about it later.

Personally I would choose A or B, if you choose C don't compound the error by insisting there was no A or B.
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    Ok...posting another reply...lol The other thing I MUST have on hand are the Kellogg's Fiberplus Antioxidants Chewy Bars... My favorite are the Chocolate Chip ones..but others swear by the others too.... but they are a much healthier choice than a lot of other items.... I limit myself to one a day...usually 1/2 in am as a snack...and the other half when I am having a 'chocolate attack' around 8pm!!!! Good luck!!!
  • ccaym
    ccaym Posts: 86
    Options
    If you are really finding this a problem, seriously just ban stuff. If it's not good for you it's not good for anyone else. Bring in all low-calorie alternatives. If you don't allow food in the house which you consider an "unhealthy binge" then you can't slip up. Have instead the ingredients to do super quick home-baked cookies, muffins etc - MUCH cheaper than shop-bought and you can control what goes in.

Yes, this! I have been in your situation where there is nothing I want to eat, and I don't have the time or mtovation to prepare something. I will end up eating food that might be not be junk, but still does not fit into my eating plan. I feel you...it's frustrating! I eat so much better when I take the time to prepare food in advance. You could try spending 30 minutes on food prep three times a week...chop veggies, make healthy dips & spreads, bake wholesome muffins etc.

You can do this. You have everything it takes! Hang in there.