Always over my Fats/Proteins...

KelGen02
KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
because the majority of my foods are nuts, egg-whites, chicken, evoo, I am always over either my fats or my protein macro or both... I am not a breakfast eater so I am drinking a shake in the morning, usually have nuts as an afternoon snack, I usually have a salad for lunch then baked sweet potato with evoo and avocado or egg-white omelet for dinner... I am within my daily calories but those fat/protein macros are forever in the red... Is it really that bad if they are considered healthy fats? I seem to be losing the weight but I know that some say you MUST stay within your macros to sustain. I can eliminate the string cheese (which was a recommended snack on the shake meal plan) but i am still over... any suggestions on snacks or toppings for my sweet potatoes that will help me stay with in my macros would be greatly appreciated. (Oh and I eat the nuts, egg-whites etc because they were recommended by my doctor to help with my cholesterol which has been proven as it has gotten better w/out meds)

Appreciate the suggestions..... Happy Tuesday! B)

Replies

• dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Mfp sets the proteins and fats low. Depending on the type of diet you are on, you will need to adjust your macros to allow for more proteins and fats, and less carbs.

Some things are a minimum goal to reach. Proteins, vitamins, iron and fiber are all good to go in the red on.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    What are your macro goals set at?
  • ketoindy
    ketoindy Posts: 3
    Well, I know for ketogenic diets (high fats, moderate protein, low carbs) the macros are vaguely important to the extent of making sure you stay in Ketosis (preferably Nutritional Ketosis), but I'm not aware of why it would matter elsewhere, and even there it doesn't need to be exact on as long as your body handles it properly. If you are getting good fats (staying away from Trans fats and Omega-6), your health is improving, and you are loosing the weight, I really wouldn't worry about it. Everyone's body is a bit different, and whatever you are doing is working for you. MFP is not providing you a personal nutritionist that has examined what you personally need after all, you don't have to follow it's recommendations.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    There's no specific macros that you need to meet and having somewhat lower carbs and higher protein and fats than the MFP default (if that's what you are using) is not a bad thing in and of itself. In fact, many people intentionally increase protein and fat and lower carbs, as the protein goal in particular may be low, especially at lower calorie ranges.

One thing that matters is total calories, carbs, fats, and protein, and another are the specific foods you are eating--are you getting enough nutrients.

That's for health, not weight loss.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    For the most part, the proteins and fat goals that MFP give you are really low. Most people look at them as the minimum goal you should hit, not the maximum goal you should hit (unless you have medical conditions dictating otherwise). If you have no medical conditions that would limit your fat or protein intake, it's ok to go over on those macros.

Like a PP mentioned, calories are the most important when it comes to weight loss. The macros you get will impact your body composition, satiety, and performance in any workouts you may do.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »

I let the system provide me what the calories/macros should look like based on my weight and how much I want to lose. Like I said I stay within my calories but those red FAT/PROTEIN totals are screaming at me every day... LOL My dr said plant food is my best choice to lower my cholesterol since I can't take the meds. MFP has me at 40 for fat and 61 for protein... 1210 calories...
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    If you're staying within your calorie goals (and also getting adequate veggies/fruits/fiber), then there is no upper limit on protein or fat. Ignore the red numbers!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    KelGen02 wrote: »

I let the system provide me what the calories/macros should look like based on my weight and how much I want to lose. Like I said I stay within my calories but those red FAT/PROTEIN totals are screaming at me every day... LOL My dr said plant food is my best choice to lower my cholesterol since I can't take the meds. MFP has me at 40 for fat and 61 for protein... 1210 calories...

Those are super low numbers. All of them - calories, fat, and protein. Going over 60 g of protein every day is just you doing yourself a favor.
  • fraseria
    fraseria Posts: 16
    Don't sweat going in the red on protein. Protein is good. I'm always in the red too.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    KelGen02 wrote: »

Just change the goals to something that better suits your needs. You can edit them manually by clicking the Goals link on the Home tab.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Change your settings to fit your lifestyle.
  • I'm always over on protein and fiber but usually low on fats.
  • Tracey50slife
    Tracey50slife Posts: 2 Member
    Maybe drop that morning shake? I bet it is high in protein and fat???