Do you count your "exercise calories"?

Options
So, haven't been doing this for long, but I have been inputting my exercise into MFP daily. This of course, adds calories that I can then consume. I'm assuming it overshoots the calorie range on most things (c'mon, Apple Watch and get here already!)

In any event, my normal day consists of a protein shake & Amazing Greens (around 220 calories/shake) for breakfast and lunch. Probably a banana mid-morning to curb leg cramps and a navel orange mid-afternoon before the gym.

Dinner is generally whatever I want, as long as it fits within my allotted leftover calories (1500), though I've been trying to eat fairly healthy/clean, apart from Sunday night's pizza episode.

I've been following the same eating for about a month. Added exercise in about a week and a half ago and have been going pretty hard for me (at least an hour a day of strength or cardio, depending on the day, sometimes more). I've actually managed to gain 4 lbs since I started moving my butt.

Should I just not count the "exercise calories" and see if that helps?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You should eat back 50% - 75% of your exercise calories to start with and judge by weight loss over a decent period - say 6-8 weeks then adjust

You should watch your proteins and fats .. achieve your minimum at least and make sure your minimums are set properly (eg 0.8-1g protein per lb LBM and 0.35g fat per lb bodyweight)

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. i personally do not log my exercise and do not eat back my exercise cals.
  • Amy512tx
    Amy512tx Posts: 6
    Options
    I have a polar heart rate monitor so I get a good idea of how many calories I've burned during a workout. Once I got the heart rate monitor I realized that the gym/mfp was off by a good bit.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    everyone is different. i personally do not log my exercise and do not eat back my exercise cals.

but everyone is the same to be honest .. it's just the approach they take that may differ

and this approach is fine if you are following either a cut from TDEE or are inaccurate with your calorie logging ... as long as you are achieving your stated weight loss weekly goal over time (6-8 weeks) and meeting your nutritional requirements you should be fine with any approach
  • Plumbkinpie
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories simply because MFP overestimates it and I don't want to hinder myself. I don't tend to to any extreme exercise anyway, I'd only gain 300-500 cals back.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    yiscaht wrote: »
    So, haven't been doing this for long, but I have been inputting my exercise into MFP daily. This of course, adds calories that I can then consume. I'm assuming it overshoots the calorie range on most things (c'mon, Apple Watch and get here already!)

My sentiments exactly! April 10th

Yes - I eat back my exercise calories. Not all the time and not all of them all the time because sometimes I'm just too active. lol
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories, but I think my calorie allowance is pretty generous, 1600 calories per day. I honestly don't think I need more than that. Very occasionally I will eat a few of my exercise calories, but not regularly. I think my logging is pretty accurate, but it's good to have the safety net of the exercise calories.
  • miss_rye_
    miss_rye_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I figured out my numbers based on a weekly average of work outs/calories burned, so I just eat that number every day, if I work out or not.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I do input my exercise and eat a portion of my exercise calories.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I only put my exercise in if I've overeaten and want to avoid the red numbers.
    Mostly I'm pretty good but I've had a few days recently where I've not logged as I go, and gone over my limit. On those days the extra 100-150 calories I earn from exercise makes me feel less guilty.
  • ShandaLeaS
    ShandaLeaS Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    No I dont
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP as designed, yes you eat back your calories. You enter in your info, and weight loss goals and MFP spits out a calorie allowance assuming you will do no exercise. By eating back your exercise cals you are properly fueling your body while still hitting the deficit MFP gave you to lose the weight per your goals.

Example: Lets say the person has a maintenance of 2000 cals, and puts in a 1lb per week loss. MFP spits out the person should eat 1750 to lose that 1lb per week.

Lets say that person goes out for a run and burns 300 cals. Now maintenance is 2300 calories, not 2000, so now that person can eat 2050 to stay in that exact same deficit.

2000cals - 250 MFP cals = 1750 = a 250 cal deficit. 1lb per week loss for individual

2000cals + 300 exercise cals = a maintenance of 2300, so now 2300 - 250 MFP cals = 250 cal deficit for 1lb per week loss for individual.

Keep in mind that MFP can overexaggerate, so many start out by eating back 50% and adjusting from there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1
  • yiscaht
    yiscaht Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    You should watch your proteins and fats .. achieve your minimum at least and make sure your minimums are set properly (eg 0.8-1g protein per lb LBM and 0.35g fat per lb bodyweight)
    I'm going to be a total newbie ... how do I ensure my minimums are set properly? Does the default in MFP reflect those totals?

• amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    If you are using MFP as designed, yes you eat back your calories. You enter in your info, and weight loss goals and MFP spits out a calorie allowance assuming you will do no exercise. By eating back your exercise cals you are properly fueling your body while still hitting the deficit MFP gave you to lose the weight per your goals.

Example: Lets say the person has a maintenance of 2000 cals, and puts in a 1lb per week loss. MFP spits out the person should eat 1750 to lose that 1lb per week.

Lets say that person goes out for a run and burns 300 cals. Now maintenance is 2300 calories, not 2000, so now that person can eat 2050 to stay in that exact same deficit.

2000cals - 250 MFP cals = 1750 = a 250 cal deficit. 1lb per week loss for individual

2000cals + 300 exercise cals = a maintenance of 2300, so now 2300 - 250 MFP cals = 250 cal deficit for 1lb per week loss for individual.

Keep in mind that MFP can overexaggerate, so many start out by eating back 50% and adjusting from there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/818082/exercise-calories-again-wtf/p1

Yep, this!

I've lost 79 pounds so far, and have eaten back a good majority of my exercise calories.

Anytime in the past when I haven't eaten them back, I'd just end up hungry and just give up, then gain it all back.

MFP is set up with the NEAT method. But yes, if you don't have a hrm, stick to around half of what MFP tells you, it is grossly overestimated.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories simply because MFP overestimates it and I don't want to hinder myself. I don't tend to to any extreme exercise anyway, I'd only gain 300-500 cals back.

Google skinny fat. MFP gives you these calories for a reason.

Certainly 50% of your exercise calories would be a closer estimate than zero.

As you get closer to goal your body has less reserves to draw from. Maintaining lean muscle while losing mostly fat is healthy weight loss. But healthy weight loss is a moderate deficit. Increasing your original deficit by 300-500 calories everyday isn't moderate and isn't enough to fuel existing muscle.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    yiscaht wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm going to be a total newbie ... how do I ensure my minimums are set properly? Does the default in MFP reflect those totals?

No - MFP uses a more generalized approach. People with medical issues will have different needs. Vegetarians, vegans, lots of different types of diets out there.

You need to personalize these macro goals if that's what you decide.
  • AlexisMichele93
    AlexisMichele93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have my goal set to 1lb/week. At 5"8 and 205 lbs I was given about 1700 calories. I work out for about an hour 3-4 days a week but it's nothing extreme. I'll bike a little and lift some weights and do the planking challenge. I estimate, without an HRM and being slightly suspicious of the machines that count your calories, that I burn about 200-300, probably closer to 200. So light exercise. That bumps my deficit to about 800, give or take, and is closer to 1.5 lbs/week. Is this acceptable or should I eat back mine as well? I have 40 lbs to lose and then was going to reexamine to see about upping my strength training and such for better toning, but I do want to start lightly building muscle now as I lose the weight. I've felt comfortable with my diet and exercise routine so far and have only logged exercise I was unsure about (horseback riding). I'm only a few weeks in so still learning. :)
  • jryanr
    jryanr Posts: 5
    Options
    Depends on the exercise. When I'm doing distance running, I can burn 800 to 1600 on a run so that would be a problem if I didn't eat extra.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If I eat back all my exercise calories, I stop losing, and I'm already set on sedentary (and not lying around in bed, certainly...I run all around the place with my work-and-kids-and-house-cleaning day just like any normal person).

If I'm having a really hungry day, I'll honor that and eat back some of my exercise calories, and since it's only once in a while I am still losing, but when I was eating them all back for a while (this was several months ago), I bumped up and stayed up. I believe MFP overestimates, although of course you can do your own calculations and enter them as a new exercise if you'd like.

When I do eat my calories back, I only eat back up to about half of them.

Everyone is different. I have seen people who eat back all their exercise calories and continue to lose (if losing is their goal). So you will probably need to experiment and find your sweet spot.
  • mhanispeedy
    mhanispeedy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Answer this
    Claories burned : 780
    Calories intake : 1500