The fight to reverse lifelong habits

Options
Today, i am overweight. I recently discovered that I haven't been eatingreal food for pretty much my entire life. I've also avoided cardio as much as possible. But because I now know of the life threatening diseases, that are associated with being overweight and unhealthy I I vow to create new habits. These new habits are for my future wife and for my future kids. .

Replies

• krmsotherhalf68
    krmsotherhalf68 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That's great news that you're taking the right steps to creating those new habits you spoke about. I've been an MFP member since last August and have dropped 88 lbs. thus far. I find that taking it one day at a time (just like Alcoholics Anonymous' motto) works great. I also find the support I receive from my MFP community of friends helps me stay focused and encouraged. Many of the stories you'll find here are inspiring.

Wishing you the best of luck. A*
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome. To change lifelong habits takes time. I suggest working on one at a time until established.

What one thing could you do in your personal and professional life that, if you did on a regular basis, would make a tremendous positive difference in your life?
    ~ Stephen R. Covey Quotes from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

https://www.entheos.com/quotes/by_topic/Self-mastery
  • ejsilver26
    ejsilver26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and am trying to get more active and get some of this "Santa Belly" off. Trying to ensure I'm there to meet my grandkids.
  • chartrand124
    Options
    Hello good to hear you want to change for the better. Theirs many great resources on MFP and I wish you the best of luck mate.
  • jazzandbill
    jazzandbill Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I can relate. And also determined to change those bad habits. I have been here for a week and the process has been eye opening. I started to search for healthier meals and little by little I have been changing my eating habits and surprisingly it taste good and it has kept my calories in take to what is required. U can add me.
  • kyleh206
    kyleh206 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've had life long bad eating habits too. I weighed 220 pounds in 6th grade. My parents would feed me anything, such as cupcakes, for breakfast. I have a baby and another on the way. I don't want them to struggle on how to eat. I want to teach them healthy habits and I want to be there for them as they go through sports.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Just take this one day at a time, and you'll be surprised at the results. My only advice is to never give up, just keep truckin' along. Best. B)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    When I am feeling strong I do well, when I am not I don't. So what I do is build in a baseline into my habits...so if I am very very weak, vulnerable, not thinking straight I will only fall so far. my baseline is 1/2 on the treadmill (no matter what) three squares of what I precooked in the freezer when I was strong...then whatever happens after that I won't beat myself up...that is my oath to myself.