ISO freezer friendly make ahead meals

Options
SunflowerCat74
SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
I've got a surgery coming up and won't be able to use a knife/cook for approximately 3 weeks. People will be bringing meals, but I'm not sure they'll be all that healthy. I need some options for breakfast/lunch that are low cal and/or protein rich that I can just pop in the microwave.
I'm planning on doing mini veggie & ham frittatas, but am stuck for other ideas. Would love to hear some of your ideas.

Replies

• mrsulloa
    mrsulloa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi. I find most old school casserole recipes to freeze well, unfortunately they are full of cheese and pasta most often. However, changing out pasta or potato for cauliflower or quinoa can make all the difference. Roasting veggies and portioning them can help add something healthy to the unhealthy dishes your friends may bring. Keep minute brown rice on hand to add to your roasted veggies and even a store bought chicken or turkey breast. I also look in the frozen tv dinner section of my grocery store as inspiration and make healthy versions on my own. Best of luck.
  • yarnaholicamy
    yarnaholicamy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend "make-ahead freezer crockpot meals". I've been doing this for a long time and it's a great way to be super efficient with time, and money. It's a process where you gather your ingredients for many meals, put them into freezer ziploc bags, and freeze. When you're going to cook them, you thaw in the fridge the day before, then dump into a crockpot. 6-8 hours later, you've got dinner! It does take a little planning ahead to make the most success. When I cook this way I prepare 8-10 freezer bags worth of food, which translates into about 40 servings of food when cooked. If you make these ahead of your surgery, you'll be happy to have delicious, hot food when you want it. Here's a website with recipes and suggestions on how to get started: newleafwellness.biz/2015/01/05/make-ahead-crockpot-meals-only-4-40-per-meal/
  • SunflowerCat74
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely do the roasted veggies/brown rice as I'm mostly worried about lunches. (My husband will just offer to pick up take out...ugh!) I'll check out that make ahead crock pot site too for ideas.

I did some ground turkey taco meat w/black beans and salsa. I froze them in single serving containers. I also made some yummy egg muffins with turkey sausage, peppers & quinoa. I made a ton of meatballs (full of grated veggies) & froze them too.

Before my last surgery I did make quite a few freezer meals like burritos, casseroles, lasagna, etc...but I'm supposed to keep my calories under 1000, so most of those recipes are out.

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Soups/chili. All of the (usually vegan) soups I make freeze well. Some pureed soups may separate a bit but just stir them up and they're fine.
    For breakfast, breakfast burritos.
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Search "Wildtree Freezer Meals". you don't have to use their products, just substitute your own spices and oils.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    "dump" meals are awesome. A little bit of front prep, but them you just dump the freezer bag in a skillet/crockpot/oven dish and cook.

My fav:

Breadless chicken Parm

In a large zip top bag, put chicken breast & cover generously with jar pasta sauce. In another small bag, portion out shredded motz cheese (I like 1/8c per chicken breast, but use however much you would like). Close the large zip top bag with the chicken and add it to another, clean zip top bag. Add the smaller zip bag with the cheese and seal. That way everything is in one spot when you go to cook.

Write the weight of each item on the outside of the second bag, along with cooking instructions (cook in oven, uncovered on 400f until *almost* done - about 45 minutes, depending on your chicken breasts), top with the shredded cheese and return to oven until melted, approx 10-15minutes.

Serve with a bag of frozen steam-in-the-bag broccolli.

Alternatively, just freeze lots of portioned meat in marinades and serve with frozen veggies.

Almost all of our meals consist of a marinated meat (I always add the marinade to the zip bag before I freeze in individual portions) and a steamed veggie. That's it. Super simple, no chopping or cutting required and very minimal effort.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! ....but I'm supposed to keep my calories under 1000, ...
    Not sure what kind of surgery it is, or how long the convalescence, but you may want to check with the surgeon or hospitalist to see if being under 1000 calories during such a stressful time for your body is appropriate. Wishing you a speedy recovery and good, healthy eating after!
  • SunflowerCat74
    Options
    @gerrielips I'm having the second phase of my breast reconstruction (stupid cancer!) and won't be able to life anything more than 5lbs for a month as they cut both my pecs and my lattimus dorsi muscles. No gym for 6 weeks and will have zero upper body strength left by the end of it. I can walk, so that's good. I checked with my doc and he's the one who suggested the 1000k for the first few weeks. (I won't even be able to manage simple tasts like washing my hair or folding laundry, so I'll be very sedentary.) I gained 20lbs after the first surgery, because normally I am so active and cook fairly healthy. I hate being at mercy of others when it comes to meals though I am grateful for them feeding my family!
  • kayna1225
    kayna1225 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love doing crockpot freezer meals!
    easiest maybe shredded chicken
    or like skinnytaste picadillo is delicious and I cook it prior to freezing so I can pull it out for my lunches(good on rice, quesadillas-yesterday I had them in a zucchini boat) soups are always yummy for me-its still really cold in CT
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Soups, stews and chili freeze well and there are many protein rich vegetarian options.
    Stir fry or curry with rice
    Roasted meat in gravy or broth.

Good luck on your recovery.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is great in the micro wave with toast or bagel and avacado slices
    frozen waffles (grain or whole wheat with strwberries or blue berries
    premade hummus with tomato and lettuce
    weight watcher breakfast are pretty good.
    Good luck!!
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Egg McMuffins at home Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray Break 1 egg in each Salt & Pepper Bake 15-20 minutes on 350 Refrigerate. To make sandwiches use deli flats, pre-cooked turkey sausage or bacon and 2% cheese if you want cheese added . I use low calorie English muffin , low fat cheese, spinach and green chile. Can freeze.
  • lilmisscrabby
    lilmisscrabby Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I freeze soups , stew , just about anything that can be frozen in big muffin tins and then you put them in gallon bags. Then you have single serve portions
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Also if you like hummus you can make it and freeze it by scoopful on cookie sheet. Once frozen just pop them into a bag. doesn't take long to dethaw . Then you have a quick spread for sandwiches or dip for veggies.
  • SunflowerCat74
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! Looks like I'm going to be cooking up a storm this weekend!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    1200 cals would be easier to manage & help build your strength. But what do I know.Keep it simple. Make ground beef patties,cook then freeze. A side dish to go with..... salad? & cheeseburgers,lunch or dinner is done.Check out the Recipe thread.Hope all goes well.
  • SunflowerCat74
    Options
    I think it will be very difficult to keep it at 1000. Yes, 1200 is more realistic, though I'm thinking I'll have a hard time keeping it under 1400! Lots of veggies, soup, salad and more veggies. I'll probably just stock up on steam able bags of frozen veggies, poach a crap ton of chicken for freezing and eat that. Let's hope my drug induced zombie state keeps cravings for yummy food at bay.
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options