Which gym machine is best for me to burn the most calories?

Options
jenniator
jenniator Posts: 475 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey everyone. Normally I use the elliptical for 1 hour. I put in my weight and age and it says I burn around 720 calories each time it says. I really like the elliptical and it's my favorite machine. Today I decided to try a rotation of 4 machines to see if I enjoyed any of them and what the calorie burn rate would say. I tried the elliptical, stair climber with moving arms, bicycle, and treadmill each for around 15 minutes. I wanted to try the rower as well, but they were taken the whole hour.

I entered my age and weight into all the machines. Also sorry that the text of the pictures are in Dutch.

The first machine I did was the elliptical for 15:01 minutes and it said I burned 180 calories.
wlamd84raz7h.jpg

The second machine was the stair climber with moving arms for 15:02 minutes and it says I burned 135 calories.
7559m6kh1tc0.jpg

The third machine I did was the bicycle for 15:31 minutes and it said I burned 142 calories.
wykvb4hq84hg.jpg

The fourth machine was the treadmill for 16:38 minutes and it says I burned 130 calories.
gu3etp8225h8.jpg

I enjoyed the elliptical the most and thought the stair climber with moving arms was alright, but I rather use the elliptical. The bicycle was challenging since I am not use to moving my legs so fast and it did wear me out pretty quickly. The treadmill is the machine I absolutely dislike since I hate running and it also showed that it burned the least calories.

So I was wondering if anyone know which machine burns the most? The calorie monitor says the elliptical burned the most, but I'm not sure since I heard elliptical calorie burns are not accurate. I know I won't burn much on the treadmill since I can't jog for long periods of time and I don't enjoy it.

Replies

• BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like the elliptical too. I would continue to use whichever you think makes you work the hardest. The harder it is to complete your workout, the harder you're working, the more calories you're burning.
  • Kimmer03
    Kimmer03 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would imagine that the more variety, the better. Think of it as circuit training or interval training which burns the most calories. :smile:
  • apratsunrthd
    apratsunrthd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals are great, treadmills are great, rowing machines are great. But the one and only right answer is: the one you'll use. If you find that you hate or get bored with a machine, you'll find more excuses not to get on it. Pick a machine you enjoy (or go outside and move) and work hard and you'll burn calories. I'd personally rather run for 3 hours than spend more than an hour on an elliptical. Calories per hour isn't the main concern.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I enjoy running, but there is a machine at my gym called an Arc Trainer. It's like the b*stard love child of the elliptical and treadmill. No arm things and you can set a slope like the treadmill, but it has resistance on it like an elliptical. It burns more calories for me than anything outside of running.
  • joelschneider45066
    joelschneider45066 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I missed it - but do you use a HRM during your workout too or do you just take the "standard" answer from the machine based on your age and weight ? I LOVE my Elliptical, but have found that unless I use my HRM while on it, the machine greatly underestimates my calorie burn. I used a Polar originally, however after much testing I have started to use my Fitbit Charge instead. For me on my elliptical I average about 100 calories per 6 to 6 1/2 minutes very consistently. I average about 30-40 minutes each day on it, therefore I typically burn about 500-750 calories.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I think its most important to use the one that you like the best, because you're less likely to talk yourself out of it and from what you've wrote, feel you've been more successful in calorie burn.

When I use the treadmill (I do very fast interval walking, I cannot run yet due to recent foot surgery), I've found that covering the timer with a towel and putting a tv show I like on my phone makes it go much faster than just listening to music. So if you do try the treadmill now and then, maybe try that to help you enjoy it more?
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Someone else said it- I think the one you use and will enjoy the most is the best. Also, take those calorie estimates with a grain of salt. You would get a better estimate using a heart rate monitor but, if that's not possible, I personally would log half of whatever the machine tells me because, in my experience, that's a little closer to reality on most of them.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    In terms of cardio machine I'd suggest its the rower because its an all body exercise. You do have to spend more time on your technique though to get it right. I find it challenging as ebery stroke is importnat as you chase times.

For calorie burns cardio machines also depend on the effort you put in, in terms of intensity and duration. Thats what really determines burn rate how hard and for how long.

At my gym the average is 5 minutes which is neither here nor there unless you do Hiit.
    http://www.rowingmachineking.com/will-a-rowing-machine-help-me-lose-weight/

Theres also a comparison of cardio machines here: Use the one you enjoy the most and can stick with.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-greenfield/best-cardio-machines_b_1035202.html
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would think elliptical is over estimating calories, especially if you hold the handles. For me, running at 6.5-7.0 miles an hour burns about 11-13 calories a minute. My heart rate is fairly high, in the 170-180 range. Bicycling also burns a lot of calories for me, too.

• letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I think the bike burns most out of the four if you turn the resistance up and really push as it focuses on your largest muscle groups. If you feel your legs are going too fast you must not have turned the resistance up. The machine that feels the hardest or most like effort will burn the most.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone! :) I don't have a HRM since I mainly use the elliptical and I heard they are not good at calculating on the elliptical. I will have to try the rower again, I did once before but I couldn't get the right posture. When I first started using the elliptical 3 weeks ago, it was very exhausting for me and I had to push hard just to get to 30 minutes. Since I been using it 4 times a week, I'm able to go for a hour and it's not as difficult as when I first started. But it still is exhausting for me and I sweat so much. I think it's the same with the bike, that it's so difficult since I'm not use to it. :) I think I will stick with the elliptical since I really enjoy it :D It's the only gym machine I really like and don't mind doing each day. I might switch things up sometimes using the bike or rower occasionally.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    The best advice that I've read is to use the one you enjoy doing the most. It'll mean that you're more likely to spend longer on it, which will negate any slight differences in calories burned per machine.

I'm a big fan of the elliptical myself, although I like the rowing machine too.
  • jenniator
    Options
    Driagnor wrote: »
    The best advice that I've read is to use the one you enjoy doing the most. It'll mean that you're more likely to spend longer on it, which will negate any slight differences in calories burned per machine.

I'm a big fan of the elliptical myself, although I like the rowing machine too.

You're absolutely right! :D When I went to the gym a few years ago, I was mostly using the treadmill and I would skip days a lot since I couldn't stand the thought of going on the treadmill for a hour. Then I started not going at all. Believe it or not, I never tried the elliptical until recently since I was terrified of it ha ha. :P But now I enjoy it and actually look forward going to the gym. But your right, it's all about finding what's right for you.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    for me, its jogging on the treadmill, hands down most calorie burner.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your level of effort and duration is going to determine your burn, not the particular machine.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP, I've tried a lot of machines but at the end of the day, I love my elliptical trainer too! I have knee problems, so the treadmill is out, and the stationary bikes have always bored me silly. I don't actually pay too much the calorie readouts, I just pay attention to my resistance settings and track how I feel- can I talk, can I sing along with my music (I work out at home so there's no one to annoy). A fitbit/HR monitor is on my want list, but for now this works for me.

I do wish I had a rower to try though. It looks intriguing.
  • jenniator
    Options
    I'm with you OP, I've tried a lot of machines but at the end of the day, I love my elliptical trainer too! I have knee problems, so the treadmill is out, and the stationary bikes have always bored me silly. I don't actually pay too much the calorie readouts, I just pay attention to my resistance settings and track how I feel- can I talk, can I sing along with my music (I work out at home so there's no one to annoy). A fitbit/HR monitor is on my want list, but for now this works for me.

I do wish I had a rower to try though. It looks intriguing.

I am glad I tried other machines, but the elliptical trainer is the one that works for me :D I'm glad other people like it as well. I actually injured my knee 6 months ago and it has healed up, but it still has a little bit of problems. So the elliptical is also the easiest on it which I'm so happy about. I just never could get into liking treadmills. I think the stationary bikes are not too bad for 15-20 minutes, but they can get boring. I absolutely love the elliptical at our gym especially since it's by a window and I can watch things going on outside which really help past the time. I do like the idea of getting a fitbit, but I heard they don't work well to calculate calorie burn on elliptical.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I enjoy running, but there is a machine at my gym called an Arc Trainer. It's like the b*stard love child of the elliptical and treadmill.

Best description I've ever heard, LOL.

As for calorie burn, have you tried HIIT - High Intensity Interval Training? You get a better calorie burn for a shorter amount of time. You can find HIIT exercises for any machine. The elliptical you use looks exactly like the one at my gym, and there are several pre-set exercises for HIIT. I like to do the 1-2 intervals.

Does your gym offer classes? You might want to look into Spin or Zumba. Both burn a lot of calories.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    letjog wrote: »
    I think the bike burns most out of the four if you turn the resistance up and really push as it focuses on your largest muscle groups. If you feel your legs are going too fast you must not have turned the resistance up. The machine that feels the hardest or most like effort will burn the most.

Not really because you are only using your lower body, the rower uses all your body.
    http://www.concept2.co.uk/indoor-rowers/training/muscles-used
    Its still dependent on effort and duration of the user though, whatever the machine.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I hate rowing, but I love what it does for my body. I've lost several inches since starting seriously about a month ago without a significant change in weight (I am in maintenance). It sucks because I can't watch things on my phone to distract myself and even if I did, you have to focus on your form or not slacking about it. I do about 15km a week, 5km every other day. I had to invest though in some light lifting gloves for this because I was getting lots of blisters and callouses from the bar on my hands.

I alternate this with incline treadmill that burns about the same number of calories for me.