Busy Schedules: How do you fit your fitness in?

Options
las07s
las07s Posts: 150 Member
Hello, everyone! I wasn't sure whether I should put this under "getting started", but I am looking for helpful fitness tips! :smiley: I need some workable solutions that I can use, so I am seeking out the MFP members with pretty demanding schedules. If you fit that description, please take a look at my schedule and advise me on what kind of exercise I can do, how long it takes you, and where I should fit it in. I know a lot of you started out from 0 to hero, so tell me busy friends... What worked for you?

A little about me: I am a full-time (over-time) employee currently completing a Ph.D. in Biostatistics (at 2/3 time). I have a family, a house, and 2 dogs. :wink:

A singular note: I have found through trial and error that I need 5 hours sleep to be reasonably functional throughout the day. This will (theoretically) give me 45 minutes of unused time, unless you somehow get me multitasking.

Thus, Monday through Friday are my trouble days. Saturday and Sunday I tend to find an hour or two.
Up/Breakfast/Dogs/Ready/Out the door: 6:00 am - 6:30 am
Drive to work: 6:30 am - 7:00 am
Work: 7:00 am - 9:00 am
Travel to Campus by Car/Find parking: 9:00 am - 9:20 am
Walk (0.6 miles): 9:20 am - 9:27 am
Class #1: 9:30 am - 10:45 am
Work remotely from campus/Eat lunch: 10:45 am - 12:30 pm
Class #2: 12:30 pm - 1:45 pm
Walk (0.6 miles): 1:45 pm - 1:52 pm
Travel to Work by Car, Plop Down in Office: 1:52 pm - 2:00 pm
Work: 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Break/Take a Walk with Coworkers (~1 mile): 4:00 pm - 4:15 pm
Work: 4:15 pm - 5:00 pm (hopefully!)
Drive home: 5:00 pm - 5:45 pm
Dogs/dinner/chores: 5:45 pm - 7:00 pm
Study/Homework: 7:00 pm - 11:30 pm
Rest/Family time/Shower: 11:30 pm - 12:00 am
Sleep (almost instantly lol): 12:00 am - 12:10 pm

Replies

• MamaJ1974
    MamaJ1974 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You're super busy! I love that you've already incorporated some walking in your day. I solved my issues by getting up early -- it sounds like that might not be the best solution for you, though. If your studying involves a lot of reading, maybe there's a way you could do part of it while on a treadmill or a stationary bike?
  • las07s
    Options
    My homework tends to include a lot of programming and proofs of statistical theories. Although, you are correct! If I could focus on Bayesian inference and avoid falling off the treadmill, I could hit the gym for maybe 30 minutes if I have enough reading to do. Nifty thought!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    - you're already walking, so that's good
    - do you really need to take an almost 2 hour lunch every day?
    - do you really do 4.5 hours of homework every night (I know I sure as hell didn't when I was a student)?

For myself, during the warmer months I'm usually up and out the door on my bike by 5:00 AM...otherwise I use my lunch break at work to ride and I will just eat my brown bagged lunch at my desk.

Two nights per week I go to the gym directly from the office to lift weights. On Saturday I try to get up and off to the gym and back home before the wife and kids are even up...but I work with a coach once per month and I workout mid mornings on those Saturdays. On Sundays I get up early for my long ride...or I ride with my coach occasionally mid mornings.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You are a busy bee, that's for sure!

I found that working different exercises into my current routine was best. I do lunges when cooking any meal (seriously, not a normal step to be had) and do squats, wall sits, etc while I'm waiting a few minutes to stir something etc. If I'm really feeling it, I'll throw in some push ups or burpees haha.

I was a student until last year and I used to take my readings to the gym with me and put them on either the treadmill or bike and walk/peddle while I read. It doesn't have to be super vigorous; if nothing else, it's more movement.

The reality is, you don't HAVE to do a formal workout every day, so don't beat yourself up if you need to be a weekend warrior, just make those workouts as effective as possible.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    HIIT or the seven minute exercise routine.
    Parking farther from the entrance.
    Walking/cycling to work and between classes.
    Taking the stairs.
    Walking the dogs.
    Standing desk for study.

I suggest incorporating exercise in to your schedule instead of treating it as a separate activity.
  • las07s
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    - you're already walking, so that's good
    - do you really need to take an almost 2 hour lunch every day?
    - do you really do 4.5 hours of homework every night (I know I sure as hell didn't when I was a student)?

For myself, during the warmer months I'm usually up and out the door on my bike by 5:00 AM...otherwise I use my lunch break at work to ride and I will just eat my brown bagged lunch at my desk.

Two nights per week I go to the gym directly from the office to lift weights. On Saturday I try to get up and off to the gym and back home before the wife and kids are even up...but I work with a coach once per month and I workout mid mornings on those Saturdays. On Sundays I get up early for my long ride...or I ride with my coach occasionally mid mornings.

I technically do not allot myself a lunch so that I can leave work at 5:00 pm each day. That two hour lunch is not a lunch at all, but scheduled working hours. I grab a bite between keystrokes as I am programming. :neutral_face:

I wish I could say that I don't have to study four hours a night and close to eight hours each day on the weekend, but I am not the world's smartest biostatistician to be, so yes. I pound statistical theory and programming into my brains religiously between the hours of 7:00 pm and 11:30 pm.

• XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Leave chores for the weekend. And try to prep meals for dinner in advance. This is what I do, otherwise I would not be able to go to the gym.
    7-8am drive to work
    8-5pm at work
    5-6 drive home get 2 yr old and 8 yr old from daycare
    6:05-7 or 730 go to gym
    730 - 9pm, dinner, showers, review 8 yr olds homework
    930-11, shower my self, get things ready for next day, sometimes do chores, then chill with my fiance.

Its a lot of work but the struggle is worth it in my opinion.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    It is a super busy schedule, so you have to decide how important exercise is to you and why you are doing it. If it's just about weight loss, I would tell you to keep doing the walking and focus more on calorie intake. If you are looking at options for improving your health, I would say continue to walk as much as you can (maybe park a little farther away).

As far as studying for 4.5 hours every night, I'm sure you take a few breaks there right? If you take 5 minutes every hour and do push ups, planks, yoga moves, etc, you can get in a solid 25-30 minutes of exercise that will help strengthen your core and also probably make you feel better after sitting for so long.
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have found that the only time of the day I don't have an excuse not to workout is at 445 AM. The only excuse at that time of morning is that I want to sleep and that's not good enough. After work, I want to spend time with my son, cook dinner and watch my shows. I'm up at 445 AM, Gym by 5:15AM, back home by 6:30 and I start getting ready for work.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oooh, someone as busy as me! Hi! I work 9-10 hour days (with every other Friday off) and a 60 minute round trip commute, take six 3 credit classes each year (8 week terms) and am married with one child at home and two fur babies. Your class schedule is exactly why I switched to online schooling two years ago. I was having great difficulty with the timing of the classes and all of the extra time it was taking me to go to and from campus and then working later to compensate.

You're getting in some walking during the day, which is excellent. It's one of the things I started doing a few years ago, too, and it's made a difference. A co-worker and I walk twice each day for about 1/2 mile each walk. I run for my cardio a few days each week and I've also made use of the company gym to do strength training. Depending on the time of year and the weather (I live in Tucson so summer days are really hot) I run every other day or so either when I first wake up (5:30ish) or immediately after I get home from work. On the days I don't run, I hit the gym for an hour of lifting weights. Then I go home, make dinner, do homework and hit the sack around 10:00pm.

Don't underestimate the importance enough sleep has on your ability to lose weight. Do a little research on the topic when you have time. Honestly, I think you'd be better served continuing the walking you are already doing and getting extra sleep rather than trying to find time to do cardio during the week. On the weekends you could fit in weight lifting or whatever cardio you'd like to do.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I thought of some more.

Weights on your wrists or ankles when walking the dogs.
    Walk backwards.
    More ways to change up your walking routine.

BTW, don't do these all at once! Pick one, incorporate it, then add another when you get bored.
  • las07s
    Options
    Mayra726 wrote: »
    Leave chores for the weekend. And try to prep meals for dinner in advance. This is what I do, otherwise I would not be able to go to the gym.
    7-8am drive to work
    8-5pm at work
    930-11, shower my self, get things ready for next day, sometimes do chores, then chill with my fiance.

I have given thought to prepping dinner ahead of time, but I eat fish and roast veggies most nights, and they don't taste the same as leftovers. I already prep breakfast and lunch for the weeks on Sunday evenings. You have a point though... maybe I just need to bite the bullet. :neutral_face: and eat pre-cooked fish and veggies. Such a sad loss though.
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    OR, just squeeze in a workout before dinner or after dinner at home. Like insanity, jillian michaels 30 day shred.
  • las07s
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I thought of some more.

Weights on your wrists or ankles when walking the dogs.
    Walk backwards.
    More ways to change up your walking routine.

BTW, don't do these all at once! Pick one, incorporate it, then add another when you get bored.

I free range them to play in our yard while I get ready. They have that half hour to romp around before I head to work. I find time to walk with them on Saturday and Sunday mornings, otherwise. It makes me feel like a bad mom, but I am just looking forward to graduation day!

I bet I could do the weights on my wrists and ankles during my daily 1 mile though! That would burn more calories for sure! You are on, ma'am. Thanks for the great idea.
  • las07s
    Options
    OR, just squeeze in a workout before dinner or after dinner at home. Like insanity, jillian michaels 30 day shred.

Nice! Are those available online or are the for sale only?
  • las07s
    Options
    I'm making a list of all these golden nuggets. Thank you all for your kindness and support. I have to get back to work, though. They monitor my machine for nonsense such as this :) All of you have a great day!
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    During the weekend when you have more time knock out your heavy chores for the week (laundry, cleaning etc..) and maybe make ready to eat dinners to consume during the busy week. This should help give you an extra hour or so during the busy work week to get it in.
  • CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    las07s wrote: »
    7-8am drive to work
    8-5pm at work

I have given thought to prepping dinner ahead of time, but I eat fish and roast veggies most nights, and they don't taste the same as leftovers. I already prep breakfast and lunch for the weeks on Sunday evenings. You have a point though... maybe I just need to bite the bullet. :neutral_face: and eat pre-cooked fish and veggies. Such a sad loss though.

You don't have to actually COOK them in advance, but you can certainly have a complete dinner prepped. X number of portions of protein, plus washed/cut/ready to go veggies all packed together will save you a bit of time every night. If you can save 15 minutes, you could do the 7 minute circuit twice at home, and totally have a solid workout.

Also, and this is silly so feel free to laugh, as you do chores, you can work in exercises. Do squats as you empty the dishwasher, walking lunges while vaccuming, calf raises as you cook dinner. You can also keep a lighter set of dumbells around for micro-breaks during studying, when you do a dozen bicep curls/tricep kickbacks/shoulder raises/etc.
  • Byrekyla
    Byrekyla Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I work 2 weeks on 1 off in the oilfield. 17-18 hours per day. I basically throw planning out the window and try to maintain during the 2 weeks, and eat well / excercise during my week off. Working that many hours, it's impossible to stay really caught up on the fitness schedule.
  • aam117
    aam117 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Some great ideas from others. Being busy or working an abnormal schedule can certainly make eating healthy and working out challenging. You mention having a family...any chance you can enlist them to assist with chores and dinner after work, even if it's just two days out of the week, in order to squeeze in a workout there? Also, how much longer before you graduate? Fortunately the classes for my masters program didn't require that much study time (although it would have if I was doing anything remotely involving programming!), but this thesis-writing stuff is a bit of a time suck. Hang in there, keep fitting in the walking and other stuff you're already doing, and try to find some time during your busy week to have some "you" time or gym time. :)