5k walkers - add me to help support me or join in my quest!

Options
I've committed myself to a 6 week training plan with the intention of being able to walk 5k easily and *possibly* moving onto a 5k jogging plan.
There is a local race for life 5k in July and I am using this as my target even if I don't compete - it's mainly to give me an exercise focus. Currently I walk when I can, but am quite lazy about it as it's generally all or nothing with me; I'll walk 8 miles one day then do nothing for a few. I struggle to run even the smallest distance and have never been successful with interval training - YET! :wink:
If you want to befriend me on MFP and either support or join me, please feel free! :blush:

Replies

• jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I have a 5k goal in mind too end of may, preferrably jogging., however my knees are not agreeing with me. i work out already 3-4 times a week so i am in a routine. i would defnitely say establish a routine. if you can walk 8 miles one day, not sure you need to 'train' for 3.1 miles. you can already do it!!! thats good. if you wanna jog - i would suggest starting w/ job .25 mile then walk .25 then jog .5 , then walk .5 etc. it works
  • phanmale13
    phanmale13 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Maybe "training" was the wrong choice of words, I can maintain walking at a steady brisk pace - on a level. Where I struggle is when I add terrain, which apparently the July course contains.

It's mainly getting back into the routine - on weekdays I leave for work at 8am and return home at around 6.30pm (I'm off this week). I'm entitled to an hour lunch break but very rarely take it as I get so busy and by the time I get home, I just want something to eat and bed! Planning a walk during my working day will give me something to focus on and easier to maintain. If I find it too easy, I will start the interval training again, but yesterday I started my walk up hill (I live at the bottom) and I really struggled to maintain pace before I reached the top.