Digital vs analog scale

Options
Using a analog scale has been fairly consistent losing about 19 lbs in around a months and a half. 9 days ago got a digital scale ($30 at Fred Meyers) that was inconsistent, it would jump up 2lbs one day and down 3 the next. Or get on then off then on and it's a pound difference. Shows 2 - 4 lbs more than the analog but never the same. Sticking with the analog unless there's some good suggestions that match.

Just a little story.

Replies

• WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    my digital scale is very accurate. i had an analog scale that did what your digital did. LOL
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    How do you know the analog ones are correct and not the digital? Your body can naturally vary up to 5 pound daily anyway so that could have just been those normal vatitions.
  • dfranch
    dfranch Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've always found my digital to be more accurate than my old analog. A good digital scale shouldn't show different weights if you get off then back on. At least mind doesn't.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity - did the digital scale come with batteries? Have you tried different batteries, either way? I had an issue a while back with my digital scale - same problems you're describing - just needed new batteries.
  • effinch
    effinch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    True, the body will vary from day to day.
    Yes it did come with batteries and I'll get them changed then see what happens.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    One or the other might be accurate, it doesnt matter about format. Just use the same scale to chart your journey.
  • BiggyFuzz
    BiggyFuzz Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    i just bought a digital scale from Amazon; I need to be precise :)

It's a good $15 investment
  • effinch
    Options
    my digital scale is very accurate. i had an analog scale that did what your digital did. LOL

What scale do you have?
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    My digital is consistent to the tenth of a pound if I get on and back off.
  • effinch
    Options
    Gonna keep on logging with the analog.

What scales are y'all using?
  • krystlestar00
    krystlestar00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have the Taylor 7506 Glass Platform Lithium Electronic Bathroom Scale. i usually weigh a 5lb weight on it first then step on it. mine is pretty consistent with the weight staying the same if i step on and off a couple of times.
  • effinch
    Options
    I have the Taylor 7506 Glass Platform Lithium Electronic Bathroom Scale. i usually weigh a 5lb weight on it first then step on it. mine is pretty consistent with the weight staying the same if i step on and off a couple of times.

I believe I have the Taylor 7553. I'm going to try the weight thing, I have a 20lb weight that I'm going to use on both. Thanks
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was having the same problem with my digital scale every time I d get on it would give me a different number, even after getting on and off back to back. I had it in my tile bathroom then moved it to my vinyl floor living room and still inconsistent. I called the manufacturer and they told me to tap on each corners. It seems when I tapped on the 4 corners it giggled/wiggled so it really wasn't laying flat on my tile floor. I moved it around a bit until it didn't wiggle any more when tapped the corners. He also suggested I buy a plain 18x18 tile from home depot or Lowes ($1.00) and place my scale on it that way even if my tile floor wasn't leveled the scale would be by sitting completely on the smooth flat surface. Once I set it on the 18x18 tile I did the tap test made sure it was placed flat on there and after it calibrated I haven't had any problems since.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    When I first got my scale, I didn't read the directions and was shocked to see about 6 pounds more than I was expecting. Turns out you have to tare that particular scale each time it's moved. Now, just to be safe, I let it zero out before I step on it.
  • overin2015
    overin2015 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I have a thread on here about this very issue. My new digital scale is 6-10 pounds heavier than my analog scale which I was using before in tandem with another digital scale. At first I was bummed when I stepped on the new digital one but then I just decided I didn't care. My clothes are not any tighter and I am not showing signs of a 10 pound weight gain so either I was 204 and the new scale is wrong or I was 214 and I always was just didn't know it. I will keep using the digital because it is easier to read and track my loss even though I would love to think the smaller number is correct. Hope you find out which one is accurate. I am heard so many problems with digital scales being inconsistent.
  • effinch
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I put the scale on the bathroom counter and put a 25lb weight on it a couple times. And wow same reading all 4 times. So I put caulking on the bottom a nice flat porcelain tile I just bought and reads the same every time. A pound or two more than the analog but I'm happy with it. Yes reading the instructions is a plus!
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Could be a function of the quality of the scale.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I think the problems mostly lies on that we think its laying on a smooth flat surface and even if the floor looks leveled it might not be. Glad you found the solution @effinch