Cholesterol numbers moving the wrong way on low carb/ high protein diet

Options
124»

Replies

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    The one thing that really helps to remove cholesterol from your diet is nonsoluable fiber. Which you get from fruits and veggies. Which a "low carb/high protein" diet typically excludes because people tend to focus on protein, and fatty proteins at that.

Fiber, when eaten, acts like a pipe cleaner to the gut. The cholesterol actually binds to the fiber and gets passed too quickly for the body to reabsorb it. Yes, you can get fiber through supplements. However, if you don't drink enough water fiber supplements turn into cement for the gut. My recommendation (as a nurse) is to increase the amount of fruits, veggies and whole grains in your diet. Also, look at switching some of your fats to plant based fats.

It's actually SOLUBLE fiber that does what you describe in terms of lowering cholesterol. Non-soluble is good for many other things but it is the soluble type that binds with cholesterol in the digestive tract.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol/art-20045192

Oops! You're right. Teach me to pontificate. ;)
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Got me. I don't purposely eat a low carb/high protein diet, but often do incidentally to meet my protein macro within my given calorie range. I eat lots of lean meats, egg whites, whole grains, dark chocolate everyday. I admittedly don't eat that many veggies or fruits, maybe one or two servings a day. Somehow, my HDL is sky high and my LDL normal. My total cholesterol is normal. I was surprised too.

I also do cardio 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Listen to your Doctor and not random people on the interwebs.

Doctors always want to put people on statins meds. Statins are known to be dangerous. Cholesterol can be changed with diet and exercise.

Therefore doctors are dangerous. Logic. :wtf:
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    Robertus wrote: »
    How much dietary cholesterol are you eating?

giphy.gif

31157-Sweet-Dee-NO-gif--Its-Always-S-EYGJ.gif

Eating cholesterol does NOT affect serum cholesterol.
    I know there are people who say this, but there are also those who with expertise who strongly dispute this. There are obviously other factors. What are your best scientific sources to support your view?
    The real question should be in "which way" is cholesterol affected. I am honestly surprised. People here are talking about cholesterol... yet "NO ONE" has mentioned the ratio of HDL to LDL. It appears that they are assuming "high cholesterol" is bad.

YOu have to look at multiple indicators not just one. The formula I proposed above takes in to account triglycerides, HDL, and insulin in to 1 formula.

If you stand on the scale and you weigh more than before, does that mean you're getting fat? To assume so is kind of ridiculous. YOu have to look at body fat as well, not just 1 indicator.
    So, if I understand you correctly, you do think that dietary cholesterol affects blood cholesterol and want to further specify the precise nature of its effects, correct? If so, what is the best evidence for this? Thanks in advance!

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    OK, got it. Thanks. I am just beginning to learn about this stuff.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    OK, got it. Thanks. I am just beginning to learn about this stuff.

*shudder*