Low carb / Keto questiong

Options
FairyMiss
FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
********** OKay here is the deal, this question is for those who do low carb/ Keto diets. Any post or comments judging such eating plans, or preaching a 'better way" will be summarily ignored.***********

Now on to my problem, i had and off day sunday not even the whole day just one meal (okay just a chocolate thunder from down under every thing else was good). It ofcourse threw me out of Ketosis, knew it would, but i was well into it when i checked saturday. The problem is it is now friday, i have been careful with my carb intake and i am still not back in to ketosis. Now any time before when i have followed a program such as this, i could have a whole bad weekend and within 2 days on the straight and narrow i am back in ketosis.
Anyone have any ideas or insights on what can be the deal this time. I am also bouncing up in wht.

Replies

• Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    bump
  • freedomsue
    freedomsue Posts: 1
    Options
    It takes awhile to get the ketosis back. Is there anything else you are eating that could cause it to not get the ketosis back. It is a tricky thing I found out when I was doing the low car diet. I am back on it, but it does take awhile. Try walking or some sort of exercise to get your metabolism going again. That might help.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    the same thing happened to me. one dinner of carbs on sunday night and i was out of ketosis until today! I have found tho that my water intake really makes a difference on the ketones strips. The more water i drink the higher up that color on the stick gets! I have been lagging on the water lately.... good luck.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    been exercising 1 mostly 2 daily, and drink tons of water , and i has never taken me this long before
  • Shanzstar
    Options
    ugh I know its really annoying but is it showing up at all? even a trace amount and your in ketosis according to the atkins book.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    not even which is freaky for me. any previous time i can hit it a the drop of a hat
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    been exercising 1 mostly 2 daily, and drink tons of water , and i has never taken me this long before

Is there hidden sugars in something your eating? Sometimes that can make a difference.
  • Shanzstar
    Options
    geesh! there must a been a whole lot of sugar in whatever u ingested! lol Your body will go back to ketosis. once its done burning all that sugar off... good luck.
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    geesh! there must a been a whole lot of sugar in whatever u ingested! lol Your body will go back to ketosis. once its done burning all that sugar off... good luck.
    lol yeah there was quite a lot but it was a week ago.
  • FairyMiss
    Options

Is there hidden sugars in something your eating? Sometimes that can make a difference.
    been eating what i normally eat,
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Something is amiss here. When you have been in ketosis and then drop out, execss carbohydrate will be coverted to glycogen, hold onto water, etc. However, without additional carbohydrate intake, once you deplete that glycogen, you have no subsrtae left to complete the fatty acid cycle and you should be in ketosis. That should only take a couple of days particularly if you were exercising. Either your ketone strips are bad (they are really sensitive to humidity) or you have hidden carbohydrate in your diet.. There is no other explanation. I would go a couple days of pure meat and egg diet (remember eggs are ~ 1 gram of carb a piece) and buy some new ketone strips. Keep carbs At bare minimum.

Good luck
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    ******umdate**** finally in ketosis !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    ******update**** finally in ketosis !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • seagreenstarfish
    Options
    I see you made it into ketosis already! But I would like to point out that if your body uses all the ketones for energy, they won't show up in your urine. That may be what was happening. Also, hormonal cycles can have an effect on ketosis (they do for me!). The week before my period, I am slammed out of ketosis.

Anyhow, to get back in...I'd go mostly meat and eggs for a day.

Personally, I rarely measure my ketones at all (and I have lost 63 pounds on Atkins since July 2010, so far!). There are other signs that you can recognize (thirst, keto breath, urination) and know without using the sticks.
  • wheelieblade
    wheelieblade Posts: 323
    Options
    am considering doing this, can anyone give me any starter tips?
  • FairyMiss
    Options
    I see you made it into ketosis already! But I would like to point out that if your body uses all the ketones for energy, they won't show up in your urine. That may be what was happening. Also, hormonal cycles can have an effect on ketosis (they do for me!). The week before my period, I am slammed out of ketosis.

Anyhow, to get back in...I'd go mostly meat and eggs for a day.

Personally, I rarely measure my ketones at all (and I have lost 63 pounds on Atkins since July 2010, so far!). There are other signs that you can recognize (thirst, keto breath, urination) and know without using the sticks.

i never get the breath, least not that I notice.
  • FairyMiss
    Options

not to sound obnoxious but read the book. though these days you can probably get most the info on the web.
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options

not to sound obnoxious but read the book. though these days you can probably get most the info on the web.

Well sorry but you do sound a tad obnoxious. I am a low carb enthusiast but I had never heard of a keto diet before this and I have no idea what 'book' you are referring to.

Anyone else willing to provide some useful information?
  • EnufAlready
    EnufAlready Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thank you that was helpful