Sugar

Options
is sugar from fruits just as bad as refined sugar??

Replies

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a specific medical condition, sugar is not bad in the context of a healthy, balanced diet that achieves your nutritional and performance objectives.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It all has the same effects on your body, and there is no need to worry unless you have a medical reason to limit sugar.

Also, please use the search function, because there are a lot of these threads going on at the moment and they always start a huge debate.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Yes it is just as bad, which is to say it's not bad at all.*

*in reasonable amounts, yadda yadda, don't eat whole bags of sugar each day.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In.

colbert-popcorn.gif

I ate sugary foods in moderation, lost 121 pounds doing that and been maintaining now for 6 months, also I no longer have heart disease!!!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    KayleneP83 wrote: »

IMO, no. Fruit comes already packaged with fiber and nutrients. You can eat refined sugar with fiber and nutrients, but it comes with only one nutrient. So, outside the context of your total diet (which is the determining factor in health and weight), fruit wins.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Your body processes sugar and the natural sugars found in fruit in the same way. They have the same effect on the body. Neither is bad...even diabetics need some sugar. Eat a healthy well-balanced diet and you will be fine. If your are trying to lose with just maintain a calorie deficit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    It all has the same effects on your body, .

Can you explain? How could fruit and plain sugar have the same effects on your body? What effects do you mean?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Your body processes sugar and the natural sugars found in fruit in the same way. They have the same effect on the body.

?? Fiber and vitamins and minerals and antioxidants and sugars have the same effect as refined sugar? No. Digestion is different, nutrition is different, affect on blood glucose levels may be different.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Oh good. This thread again.

As a first step, you might want to demonstrate why, exactly, either one of them is "bad".
  • Lithinissi
    Lithinissi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :) Thank you.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Sugar in fruit is wrapped in a lovely fiber sandwich which slows digestion (good) and fruits also have vitamins.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Can you explain? How could fruit and plain sugar have the same effects on your body? What effects do you mean?

I mean your body processes it the same. And if eaten to excess, any sugar (or any other macronutrient) will make you gain weight.

If you are otherwise eating a balanced diet, counting calories, and meeting macros, sugar (natural or otherwise) will have no negative effects on your body.

Sorry if I worded it weird - it has been a long day.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Oh good. This thread again.

As a first step, you might want to demonstrate why, exactly, either one of them is "bad".

My thoughts exactly.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I mean your body processes it the same. And if eaten to excess, any sugar (or any other macronutrient) will make you gain weight.

If you are otherwise eating a balanced diet, counting calories, and meeting macros, sugar (natural or otherwise) will have no negative effects on your body.

While I agree with most of this response (whether sugar has a negative affect could vary), your body most assuredly does not process plain refined sugar and fruit the same.
  • Lithinissi
    Lithinissi Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to figure this all out. I love fruit but I'm going over in sugar according to fitnesspal. :'(
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Your body processes sugar and the natural sugars found in fruit in the same way. They have the same effect on the body.

?? Fiber and vitamins and minerals and antioxidants and sugars have the same effect as refined sugar? No. Digestion is different, nutrition is different, affect on blood glucose levels may be different.

We're not talking vitamins, minerals and atioxidants though. We're talking sugar. And fact is, sucrose = glucose + fructose and your body splits it into those two. Fruits contain glucose + fructose. The sugars are all the same in the end.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

While I agree with most of this response (whether sugar has a negative affect could vary), your body most assuredly does not process plain refined sugar and fruit the same.

Okay.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to argue with you over the metabolic pathway that each different sugar molecule goes through during metabolism. I will say that the end product and result is the same and the effect (none, barring a medical condition) will be the same.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Refined sugar [edited] is basically the same as sugar from fruit, if isolated. (In other words, sugar from cane or beets is basically the same as sugar from fruit, although there are slight differences that probably don't matter much to what you care about, like that fructose tends to be metabolized by the liver.)

However, an apple is NOT the same as some M&Ms, rather obviously. The apple (although not the sugar in the apple) has various micronutrients and fiber that are not in the M&Ms.

Similarly, an apple is NOT the same as a cookie. As with the M&Ms, the apple has more micronutrients and fiber (usually, depending on the cookie). Also, for what it's worth, the apple could quite possibly have MORE sugar than the cookie (I'm using a cookie recipe I have on MFP), but the cookie has more calories, because it comes with calories from other ingredients too, like butter (the biggest source) and flour.

As you can see, I hope, focusing on sugar rather than the foods themselves is typically a mistake.

I'd also say that neither a cookie nor M&Ms is bad, but you'd probably want to make sure you limit your consumption of them. Obviously, you also wouldn't want a diet made up disproportionately of apples (there are other important things apples cannot provide), but fewer people seem to do that than with the sweets.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Now come on, I thought we agreed to switch bad and good to "ideal" and "not ideal". Fruit sugar is an ideal sugar. Refined sugar is the devil. kidding. don't kill me.

Seriously though. Fruit is awesome.

My scientific reply.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

How about for once you don't go off at a tangent? The sugar from fruit is processed in the same way as table sugar. That's what was asked, not any release mechanisms involved.

Who asked if it was processed the same way? Processed by who/what?