I'm ADDICTED ...

Options
I tried...and tried...like 60 times....to stop counting calories...and it ain't happening...

I just can't stop thinking about it. Well I can, when I actually do it, but as soon as I try to stop, it dominates my thoughts. I automatically add it up in my head when I don't count on the app.

Is that bad?...

Have any of you stopped? If you have, how the heck did you do it?!?!?!

Should I stop? Or just not worry about it?

Replies

• gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I've gone through periods where I don't count, and it certainly stays on my mind even when I'm not doing it actively. I don't think it's bad, necessarily, as long as you're still eating enough to live and support your maintenance weight. It's probably a good thing overall, really. Ideally, we're also supposed to get out of this with the tools to avoid rebound weight gain -- and I would expect that being aware of the food we eat even when not in loss-mode is how we do that.
  • JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hello, your name is Leana, and you're addicted to calorie logging.

I guess I can think of about a billion things that would be worse. :-)
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    What is making you want to stop? Just because you're working on maintaining doesn't mean you have to quit doing what you did to get where you currently are. Being conscientious of the calories you're consuming is good for a healthy lifestyle.
  • IGotThis1992
    IGotThis1992 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I don't think its bad to wonder about how many calories you eat. We all should care what goes in our bodies! But, you shouldn't obsess over it. It if gets in the way of living, maybe you should stop. I was the same way and still struggle with those feelings. I would keep counting but understand that you are human! Just try to keep it under the allotted number and your golden!
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Hello, your name is Leana,

How'd you guess?? :mrgreen:
  • krystlestar00
    krystlestar00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Did you just reach your goal or have you been at goal and been maintaining? If you just reached goal, keeping track during maintenance can help to keep gain in check.
  • Leana088
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    What is making you want to stop?

"Normal people" that don't count and are stick thin...

• Leana088
    Options
    Did you just reach your goal or have you been at goal and been maintaining? If you just reached goal, keeping track during maintenance can help to keep gain in check.

Sort of, I'm cutting and bulking. So I'm done losing actual weight, I just want to work on my physique.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »

That's a naturally high metabolism those people have. For everyone else that is 'normal', they still watch what they eat. They just don't announce it for everyone to know.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

That's a naturally high metabolism those people have. For everyone else that is 'normal', they still watch what they eat. They just don't announce it for everyone to know.

Well I live with an I thought was high metabolism cousin. When you watch what and how much they eat you will notice that they might just eat less in general. My cousin is full in 2 slices of medium dominos pizza.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I tried...and tried...like 60 times....to stop counting calories...and it ain't happening...I just can't stop thinking about it. Well I can, when I actually do it, but as soon as I try to stop, it dominates my thoughts. I automatically add it up in my head when I don't count on the app. Is that bad?... Have any of you stopped? If you have, how the heck did you do it?!?!?! Should I stop? Or just not worry about it?

Sounds like a blessing not a curse….I love the fact that in maintenance I am still “aware” of calorie content. I no longer pop food into my mouth without thinking of portion size etc. Hope I never stop.

73641431.png

• adcini
    adcini Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say that it's bad, I'd just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't become something unhealthy. Being aware of how many calories you're eating is a great life skill many people struggle with, but try not to let it run your life! As for the 'normal' people comment, who cares? You've got healthy eating habits, which is a far more useful skill then being slim due to genetics.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Well I am not actively logging at the moment and just doing it in my head as well. I think that is just how it is.
  • lovegrace21
    lovegrace21 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Really depends on your mindset. For some (including myself for many years) did it obsessively to a point where it interfered with my quality of life. For others, it's just a way of keeping yourself in check.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It's kinda like being "ADDICTED" to balancing the checkbook ...

(It ain't an addiction, just an accounting)