Advice for a Complete Beginner?

Options
I need to start exercising regularly, but I have no idea where to begin. I have never really exercised, and didn't even have a PE class in school since 5th grade...... I am 25 now...... Background info: I am 243 and would like to get down to at least 160 as a starting point (that's where I was at before I started majorly gaining weight). I'm kind of apprehensive about just trying anything because I have a bad lower back and very stiff/achy joints. I know this will get better with time and exercise but it's a major factor in my lack of motivation to get started. Also I have a thyroid issue (every symptoms of hypothyroidism but am still going through testing and waiting for my endocrinologist appt) and fibromyalgia. I don't want my lack of energy and aches/pain to be an excuse, I just need some type of low impact workout to get me in the routine of exercising.
P.s. Feel free to friend me :)

Replies

• JohnBarth
    JohnBarth Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do to start is get a good scale to measure your food and log everything you eat, good or bad. Accurate measurement of your food is going to go miles and miles toward your progress. When you figure out where you're at, you'll be able to set a plan of where you want to be.

For exercise, start walking more. On your feet and moving is a great start. As soon as you're able, incorporate some form of resistance training into your plans.

At the end of the day, you need to consume less calories than you burn. Accurately logging calories consumed can give you a base of what your expected burn will be based on your activity level. Move more+consume less=weight loss!
  • caty2358
    caty2358 Posts: 12
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    Move more+consume less=weight loss!

Thank you for the advice. I've been consistently logging my food for about 2 weeks and have had some bad days and some good, I've lost 7 lbs. I just want to make sure I exercise more on top of eating better. Not just for weight loss but so my body can be in better condition. If I can strengthen my muscles maybe they won't hurt as much? Especially my back. I bend over about 3 times to pick something up and I'm in pain the rest of the day. :/

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    JB had a great suggestion with walking. Just moving around is enough to start. It was for me. Slowly over months I was able to do more than a few minutes on an elliptical machine. This is not a race. Logging is the best thing you can do - it will encourage you to do more.

Specifically for your back, I would lift things just like I was lifting a heavy box. Bend at the knees not at the waist. Assuming your knees are OK. It will feel strange for a while.

Exercise - be aware of how you feel during any exercise. If it hurts when you do something, don't do it.

We have several fair sized dogs that really go through chow so I judge my weight in terms of 20 lb bags of dog food. At the beginning I was carrying the equivalent of more than 3 bags. Carry that much around all the time, every minute? Impossible. Well, that's what I was doing. It was real exercise just getting through the day. Consider what you are carrying now and you may be stronger than you perceive.

When I started using the machines at the gym I discovered the first few times are much more difficult. Eventually I developed muscle memory to move with the machine and it became easier.
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Look at DVDs on Totalfitness DVDs to preview workouts that may appeal to you.
    Walk Away the Pounds is a good place to start, so is weight lifting. I prefer low impact, high intensity workouts myself and have an extensive DVD collection. The BarreAmped series is another great low impact series. Best of luck, you don't have to go crazy, you just have to find something that works for you!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Throwing away the term "exercise" for the moment, do you currently have any physical activities (indoor or outdoor) that you enjoy, either now or in the past? I always prefer to start from there, rather than recommend the stuff that I like...
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Walking, even if just for 5-10 minutes at a time, is a good place to start. Gradually increase time/distance. The elliptical and bike are low impact machines you can try when you've built up some resistance. But for starters, walking is a great place to begin. And it's free!
  • Elaine1345
    Options
    Hi! Well done you're doing brilliant - half a stone off already woot!!!

I'm glad you raised this question because I have been wondering myself. I don't have the problems you have but I do have problems with my knees and have been seeing doctors/physios etc. I definitely notice a difference with my knees the more weight I lose, I guess when you think about it all our body weight is resting on top of our knees and our backs take a lot of our weight too especially when bending down etc. Obviously this isn't medical advice but I would guess your aches might improve the more pounds you lose and physically active you are, maybe you should have a chat with your doctor. :)

I am sticking with walking at the moment and hope to push myself when I feel ready into jogging and then, all being well, maybe the odd run. :) I did try Zumba, but I felt like my knees were about to snap so that was no good for me at all. Good luck and keep strong!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I had some back issues (along with a bad knee) and I started a water aerobics class. It improved my mobility and back well enough that I was able to start walking in addition.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    walking to start (10 or 15 mins wahtever you can manage), what you can manage. If you are really heavy then water aerobics or swimming supports your body weight. Look for soemthing youd enjoy.

Once you feel ready to move on why not have a look at this free fitness blender low impact workout.
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/low-impact-cardio-workout-for-beginners

Exercise is nothing to be afraid of you arent in a race with anyone, just trying to improve yourself. You can make progress quite quickly as well.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I started I was about 275. I had plantars fasciitis in both feet. I could stand for maybe twenty minutes at a stretch.

Because of the greater risk of injury at your weight, I think walking is best. That's what I did my first few months. Walking is about the best exercise for a bad back, too.

Core exercises are next. If you find a yoga class that caters to larger clients, you might find you enjoy it a lot. I know I do.

Start out really small and really slow. But be consistent. Work up gradually, and you'll be amazed at how much more you can do in a few months.

I'm running now, LOL.
  • Cave_Goose
    Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Get the free Couch to 5K (C25K) app by Zen Labs. In 8 weeks, not only will you be able to run 3miles, you'll have lost a bunch of weight. I lost 30lbs. My wife lost 21lbs.

The program starts out with you walking for 90 seconds, then running for 30 seconds. Over time, the ratio changes until you run more and walk less. At one point, we went back and repeated a week because we didn't think we were ready to advance to the next level.

The icing on the cake was registering for a 5k race and actually finishing it.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    caty2358 wrote: »
    I need to start exercising regularly, but I have no idea where to begin. .... I don't want my lack of energy and aches/pain to be an excuse, I just need some type of low impact workout to get me in the routine of exercising.
    P.s. Feel free to friend me :)

You already have the right idea (in bold). Just keep working your way up by adding more and more every day. Develop the HABIT. Once you hit over 30 minutes a day consistently, that is when the addiction starts.

Stretching, yoga, weight lifting are all low impact. For starting out you can do "body weight" exercises instead of lifting. Plenty of those out on the internet or books at the library.

I like "Core Performance" from the library. It includes alot of exercises for balance, body rehab / prehab, strength, flexibility, etc
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone - Walk Away the Pounds (YouTube) - newer DVDs Walk at Home or Just Walk series.

No equipment is required, there is no choreography so you can go at your own pace. Do 5 or 10 minutes at a time & build up. Newer DVDs have chapters...so you can skip and make them shorter. These are "mostly" low impact. But the moves are so simple you can sub in low impact all the time.

Video clips & reviews here: http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/leslie-sansone

Jessica Smith has a YouTube channel. She has several "walking" style workouts there. She's very motivating. Here's a beginner one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5SeMKN8Bus
  • caty2358
    caty2358 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I think I'm going to try walking around my block. My feet give me issues sometimes but I think as long as I stop before it gets bad I should be fine to walk again the next day. Also maybe beginner yoga? I think some stretching will help. It's just a little daunting with my back issue because it still acts up even when doing all the recommended tips on how to not put stress on it. My right knee is a little messed up too from compensating when my back goes out. Hopefully that all gets better with time though.