Evening Snacks

Options
The worst time of day for me is in the evening and I am always craving something sweet and something to munch on when eating TV lol What do you guys buy/cook which are low calorie to help the cravings? Usually by the evening I don't have many calories left so I need to be careful, this is definitely my downfall!

Replies

• rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    I will have some fruit or will have a treat (portion control) if I crave something sweet. Ignoring the craving leads to binges for me.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    have a diet root beer with a tablespoon of cream, like a float, or and apple and some peanut and almond butter. If you tend to always snack at nights make sure u bank some calories in anticipation.
  • AlexisMichele93
    AlexisMichele93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I will portion out a healthier snack earlier in the week because come evening I'm lazy! :) I love blackberries and they're sweet enough for me to munch on happily. I also like to make plain kettle corn or get some pretzels and depending on my craving I'll dress them up a bit, a drizzle of chocolate or caramel or this cheddar cheese sprinkle I found. I also really like nuts. It really just has to be something small that I can eat a decent size of (being small makes it draw out a bit for me as I still eat one at a time) without going too high in cals, sugar, or sodium. Many people buy little snack packs, trail mix or fiber one cookies or ghiradelli or something. It's easier to say "no don't get up and get another bag" than it is to say "no take your hand out of the family sized doritos" lol If you like cookies you can get the mini ones and then either cook them ahead or even separate the dough into 2-3 per baggie and freeze then make just the few cookies. The latter is again better for my self control, because if a plate it already made I'll make excuses and eat them all :D Hope one of these helped! I'm a tv snacker too, I actually had to cut back on tv itself a bit.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Have you considered turning off the TV?
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My FAVORITE sweet snack isn't really a munchie, its these special K protein shakes. Its French Vanilla and they usually knock my sweet tooth out for awhile.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    nickatine wrote: »
    have a diet root beer with a tablespoon of cream, like a float, or and apple and some peanut and almond butter. If you tend to always snack at nights make sure u bank some calories in anticipation.

That is the best idea EVER. I'm stealing this.
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I always try to save some calories for the evenings because I'm a habitual snacker too. Pop Secret 100 calorie Kettle corn microwave popcorn is a ton of food for very few calories...and it's salty and sweet...soooo good.
  • sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like apple slices and nut butter, a glass of chocolate almond milk to sip, 1 or 2 squares of 70% dark chocolate, or an individual container of greek yogurt. All come out to somewhere around 100 calories or so each.
  • mtnangel72
    mtnangel72 Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I try to bank some extra calories during the day specifically for this reason. I like dark chocolate or any of the Skinny Cow candies or ice creams.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Elaine1345 wrote: »
    The worst time of day for me is in the evening and I am always craving something sweet and something to munch on when eating TV lol What do you guys buy/cook which are low calorie to help the cravings? Usually by the evening I don't have many calories left so I need to be careful, this is definitely my downfall!

Eating your TV will not help.

Maybe you could try skipping breakfast so you have enough calories for an evening snack that will satisfy you ...
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love TV but its also a trigger for me to start binging.... I make myself some hot tea and find something to do with my hands while I watch, like drawing or something similar to distract me from feeling like I need to be constantly shoving something into my mouth while I stare at the television.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I really cut back on the amount of tv I watch, its also helped my cravings, If I brush my teeth then I won't eat either lol. I do try to leave a few cals for the end of the day though.
  • Elaine1345
    Options
    Hahaha eating TV nom nom nom, less calories than a chocolate bar though, right? :wink:

I love the ideas, I can't skip breakfast I can't function without breakfast :D But I will try the fruit, I did roast chickpeas one time they were nice I might do that again too. My husband doesn't like them, so more for me! lol
  • havenbaby
    havenbaby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is my biggest struggle as well. I try and eat fruit with a little whip cream and honestly I just have to not have certain things in the house (like candy, cookies) otherwise I will binge and blow my calories for the day :( Also, I am currently trying to cut down on my refined sugars in hopes that it makes my cravings not so intense...we will see!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I always leave several hundred calories for an evening snack. I usually have something like hard cooked eggs, cheese, maybe some veggies and dip or a 100 calorie snack bag of microwave popcorn if I still have carbs left to play with.
  • Elaine1345
    Options
    mmmm microwave popcorn now there's a good idea!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you normally have left?

It's not for everybody but I like coffee in the evening. I put a cup (8 oz.) of milk in mine as I like it about a 50/50 mix.

I also keep chocolate covered almonds on hand and will measure them out to exactly meeting my calorie goals sometimes.
  • jendpositive
    jendpositive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    just be careful with the microwave popcorn, i was reading the servings per bag wrong and what I thought was 100 calories was actually 300, wondered why I didn't shift a pound that week. The pop corn is now banished.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    just be careful with the microwave popcorn, i was reading the servings per bag wrong and what I thought was 100 calories was actually 300, wondered why I didn't shift a pound that week. The pop corn is now banished.

The nutrition info on microwave popcorn is confusing to read, isn't it? Why do we need to know the number of calories in 2 T of unpopped microwaveable popcorn? Are we going to tear open the bag and take out exactly 2 T to pop?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

The nutrition info on microwave popcorn is confusing to read, isn't it? Why do we need to know the number of calories in 2 T of unpopped microwaveable popcorn? Are we going to tear open the bag and take out exactly 2 T to pop?

That's why I buy the 100 calorie snack bags. They do all of the figuring out for me ;)