Brussel Sprouts

Options

Replies

• eseviour1981
    Options
    Render down some bacon and remove it from the pan. Add the halved brussel sprouts to the bacon fat and saute for a few minutes, then simmer in either water or vegetable/chicken stock, depending on your preferences, for around 10 minutes, or until as soft as you like them. If the stock hasn't all been absorbed, pour out the remainder, then add back the bacon and let everything crisp up a little before finishing with parmesan cheese.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I toss the sprouts (after halving and cutting off the stems) with honey, balsamic vinegar, a touch of oil, a dash of salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes at 375 degrees.

Delicious.

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Thinly sliced, sauteed in coconut oil, and seasoned with Thai seasoning salt.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I saute some sliced purple onions and boil the Brussels sprouts for three minutes. (I cut them in half if they're big.) Drain the sprouts, add to the onion, a little salt, some balsamic vinegar and that's how we eat 'em!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I just drizzle mine with some olive oil and roast them...I like to just cut off the little stem and roast them whole, but they go faster if you halve them.

I do the same, and sprinkle generously with kosher salt, until they start to caramelize
  • wwells13
    wwells13 Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Half your Brussels sprouts and place cut side down in cast iron skillet until browned. Add butter to taste and bacon bits (2 tbs). Place in pre heated 350 degree oven until lightly browned and tender. Add some hot sauce and mix up. Ready to go. Enjoy!! A complete meal in one skillet.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    My fav way to make them is roasted as mentioned above. I also like to shred them and add them to soups and beans when I heat them up.
  • amundson62
    Options
    The suggestions above are all very good, but here is a recipe my whole family really enjoys.

Maple Roasted Brussel Sprouts

1 lb brussel sprouts -- cut off the stem and cut in half
    10-12 cloves of garlic -- peeled and halved (adjust to your liking)
    2 Tabs Olive Oil
    2 Tabs Maple syrup (probably best with the real thing)
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper

Whisk oil, maple syrup, salt and pepper together. Toss in the brussel sprouts and garlic and toss well to coat everything. Spread out on a foil lined baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for about 20 min, until the garlic cloves are browned and the brussel sprouts are lightly browned and crisp tender.

1/4 pound of brussel sprouts this way has about 130 cal.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon + Pomegranate

(Adapted from Barefoot Contessa)
    •1 pound Brussels Sprouts, trimmed and cut in half through core
    •2 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1/2” pieces
    •1/4 cup olive oil
    •Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
    •1/3 cup pomegranate seeds

Preheat oven to 375°. In large bowl combine the brussel sprouts, olive oil, salt and pepper until well coated. Spread evenly in cast iron fry pan and sprinkle with bacon pieces. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender and browned. Toss once during roasting. Remove from oven and top with pomegranate seeds on serving dish.

Garlic Parmesan Roasted Brussel Sprouts

1 - 1 1/2 Pounds Brussel Sprouts

5 cloves Garlic, minced

1/4+ cup Parmesan Cheese, freshly grated

2 T. Olive Oil

Sea Salt, to taste

10-20 cranks Fresh Ground Pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Lightly spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with cooking spray.

Cut off the bottom of each sprout.

Remove the first layer of leaves, then wash the sprout.

For smaller sprouts, cut in half.

For larger sprouts, cut into quarters.

Either mince the five garlic cloves or use a garlic press.

Add the garlic to the olive oil, and mix.

Using a basting brush, spread the oil over the sprouts and evenly coat.

Sprinkle the sea salt and Parmesan cheese over the sprouts,

Then add the fresh ground pepper.

Place in the oven uncovered for 40-50 minutes until the centers are tender.

I stirred mine occasionally so that some of the thinner pieces didn't car badly.

These were a success, and surprisingly good to everyone.

I will be making them again, and hopefully this time Matt will try them:)

• sad_kitty
    sad_kitty Posts: 84 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do a variation on that Garlic Parmesan recipe, but I add a bit of fresh lemon juice to them after roasting, before I sprinkle with cheese. The recipe also works great with french beans/string beans (also add a dash of paprika for kick).
  • Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Update! I did just roast them for about 35 minutes with juts oil salt and pepper and they were quite good!
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Wow, these recipes beat my lazy method of just cooking them in the microwave. I love brussel sprouts...
  • i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR
    i_SWEAT_n_SWEAR Posts: 3,308 Member
    Options
    I steam them! Mix them with green beans or cauliflower & broccoli. I recently had a friend make me maple glazed Brussels Sprouts. They were amazing. Should Google that recipe! Good luck!!
  • DvrDawg
    DvrDawg Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I slice them, put them in a bowl (sometimes with shredded carrots), add some water that just covers them - then, put them in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes. Then, drain them and put seasoning on them (salt or pepper, McCormick seasonings like garlic and herbs or cajun, etc). Sometimes, I'll toss in some chicken with a little low sodium soy sauce. A staple for me.
  • megann4223
    megann4223 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate brussel sprouts... but I thought I would try this recipe for supper tonight: http://www.onceuponachef.com/2009/11/roasted-brussels-sprouts.html Roast brussel sprouts with balsamic vinegar and honey. It sounds strange... but they're shockingly good.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Fry up some bacon and some onions. Cut the bottoms off, cut them in half and roast them in the bacon fat left in the pan. Then pop them in the oven in the same pan and add the bacon and onion, cast iron works well for this, and roast them for about 45 minutes. So freakin good!
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I made them for the first time about a month ago - I'd never had them before. I used Rachel Ray's recipe and LOVE them. Made them again last night. Kids are still iffy on them, but they take a bite without making a face. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/brussels-sprouts-with-bacon-recipe.html

I second this recipe. It's my favorite, they turn out so tender!
  • SportySpice87
    SportySpice87 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    *Brussels Sprouts .... not Brussel Sprouts .....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite recipes for baking them: http://cookieandkate.com/2014/roasted-brussels-sprouts-and-crispy-baked-tofu-with-honey-sesame-glaze/

I also like them cooked over medium heat on the stovetop: just slice them in half and place them in a pan cut side down then cover and cook till they're tender (add a splash of water to the pan if it seems like they're burning). Any time I do this I'll toss them with salt, pepper, garlic, and a little hot sauce.

That looks fabulous! Bookmarking.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,844 Member
    Options
    Steamed, doused in melted butter and sprinkled with seasoned salt. Even my kids will eat them this way!