Your opinion/expiriance about this

Options
It`s a bit funny really.
I have lost 15lbs in the past 6 weeks and have gained a lot of muscles, but what I now notice is my right side is more defined then the left side.
I guess it`s because I am right handed and I have put more effort on that side.
Since noticing it a few days ago I try to put more effort on both side, maybe a bit more on the left.
Does anyone has similar experience to this? Will both side even up eventually?

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    What kind of training routine do you do?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Most people are stronger on one side than the other. The only people who aren't are body builders, but their whole sport is based around them balancing out their strength.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It is pretty common for people to develop their dominanat side of their body more

If you want to work on it a personal trainer should be able to give you exercises and tips to balance things out and strengthen your "weak" side
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Chances are you haven't gained much muscle while losing weight, but with fat loss are better able to see the muscles you have. You've likely developed your dominant side over your life and those muscles now appear more defined on one side with the fat loss. I can't see a visual muscle difference, but I'm very much weaker in my left due to an old shoulder injury, knee injury, and being right dominant. When doing any isolation exercises, I start with my left side and only do as much on my right as my left can handle. Over time this is supposed to even things out a bit, but with my old injuries, it's taking longer for me. I'm about 20% stronger in my right arm....oddly enough my right glute is weaker than my left, though maybe not odd as I may have used my left glute more over time to compensate for my left knee injury...we all have our little quirks.
  • erikgoya
    erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Its a weird thing the way that works.

I'm a bit weird though; the left side of my body is "bigger" or "more defined" by my right side (dominant) is stronger. Go figure.
    Don't worry about it too much OP
  • ddache
    ddache Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Personal trainer is not an option right now, workout at home is the only possibility.
    Just noticed it and wondered if it will even out in the future. But I dont mind it.

Thanks all for your input.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    ddache wrote: »
    Personal trainer is not an option right now, workout at home is the only possibility.
    Just noticed it and wondered if it will even out in the future. But I dont mind it.

Thanks all for your input.

Do you use weight machines? What kind of exercises are you doing? Because if you are lifting weights, try using free weights. I try to use them exclusively because it works both sides of my body evenly. Then, I do other things with my weaker side that aren't workout related just to try to keep things even, such as I'll vacuum left handed. Sounds weird, but over time it does help.