Frozen chicken.... weigh frozen or cooked??

Options
Hi guys, I got frozen chicken fillets that need to be cooked from frozen. How do I go about weighing - should I weigh frozen or when they are cooked? Obviously there will be a noticeable weight difference and am leaning towards weighing when cooked but I just want to double check! :)

Replies

• kerussll
    kerussll Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I would do the cooked weight. Some water/frost will cook off.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    I always weigh my meat raw, and record it as raw. Whether it's thawed or not shouldn't make a difference.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Most meats shrink when they are cooked due to loss of moisture. I record foods in the form I eat them and I always cook chicken!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I weigh it cooked as well...and of course any oil that I add while cooking.
  • Elaine1345
    Options
    Usually the frozen chicken fillets I buy are to be cooked from frozen but would you believe the ones I bought tonight had specific instructions "Not to eat from frozen"!! So I just had to do a mad dash to ASDA to get fresh chicken to cook by time the hubby comes home lol Alright great thanks guys!!:)
  • Megatoine
    Megatoine Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I weigh it cooked. The frozen water weighs more. This will drain off when you thaw. Cook then weigh for accuracy.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to log it correctly. There are "cooked" and "uncooked" options to choose from. By the way, you can quickly thaw out chicken if you put it in a sealed plastic bag and then put it in a bowl of water.