Any Optifast users out there?

Replies

• mlashkar
    mlashkar Posts: 8 Member
    Just started optifast on March 13. Today is day 4. I am down 4 pounds (I know it is all water now) and I need to loose 35 pounds as quick as possible because I am trying to conceive and I will be off optifast once I get the positive results. I have at least 4 weeks and I will see what happens. I am adding bene-fiber twice a day and I don't know if this is a normal feeling or shall I increase the benefiber. I will see how it goes till Thursday and see the doctor at the clinic.
  • mlashkar
    mlashkar Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
  • dorseyk
    dorseyk Posts: 1 Member
    I am starting Optifast tomorrow, any advice is welcome. I'm nervous!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    dorseyk wrote: »
    I am starting Optifast tomorrow, any advice is welcome. I'm nervous!

Good luck with that.

I really wish people would understand that these programs are not necessary to lose weight. You should not have to pay someone just to eat less. In fact, if we all just ate less to lose weight, you could theoretically *save* money by just buying less food.
  • julski13
    julski13 Posts: 3 Member
    Good luck, #dorseyk! The first week is the hardest. I lost 55# with Optifast after trying Alyssa's method for 30 years. The Optifast program is waaaaay more than just the shakes - it's the Doctor supervision, the Behaviorist, the Nutritionist, the Exercise Physiologist, and the group sessions that really helped me cover ALL the aspects of weight loss. Keep up with your diary (I'm almost 200 days straight), and go to group! You can do it :)
  • judylynn1953
    judylynn1953 Posts: 1 Member
    I started Optifast 800 through Kaiser Permanente on March 1. Although it has been difficult and sometimes very frustrating as I miss regular food, it has been well worth it. I am 25 lbs down with about 30 more to go. I look so much better already I can't believe it. This program is expensive and intensive but I have tried EVERYTHING over the years (I am 61 years old and have been overweight much of my life). I ignore the naysayers and appreciate the upbeat people who encourage me in this difficult journey. If you are thinking about the program, do it through a medically supervised one...very important. Good luck!
  • Michelleposa
    Michelleposa Posts: 1 Member
    Hi
    I'm Michelle. I'm from nz . I've been on optifast for about 17 weeks. I have lost 44kg. I work out hard and eat well most the time tho find not so good food slips Iin when i visit my family only recent as im nowon ttransition. I need to stays strong. Thankfully no big binge behaviors.
  • catblaq
    catblaq Posts: 5 Member

Hey Michelle, was on optifast in the intensive phase for 7weeks.
    I lost 10kg.
    I found I was always hangry and resentful of normal food eaters.
    But I was committed to losing my weight too, so I would cheat sometimes.
    When I would cheat, I'd have either more Veges, another Opti, or meat.
    The best thing is to keep the carbs out so you stay in ketosis even if you slip.
    When carbs or sugars come back, you get hungry because your body processes these differently, I think.
    Cat nz
    Hi
    I'm Michelle. I'm from nz . I've been on optifast for about 17 weeks. I have lost 44kg. I work out hard and eat well most the time tho find not so good food slips Iin when i visit my family only recent as im nowon ttransition. I need to stays strong. Thankfully no big binge behaviors.

• Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    AiryGia wrote: »
    Hi there...

About a year and a half ago, I started the Optifast plan. I lost 35lbs... and have kept that weight off. It was tricky getting back on to 'real' food, but the entire point of the program *I* did was to take the shakes as your fuel, make it easy for yourself to NOT think, obsess and worry over food for several weeks, mean while I was in intensive classes learning about... well, everything. Food, my relationship with it, exercise, health, nutrition, label reading, creating a healthy home, how to shop, how to eat out, expectations, dealing with other people trying to side track you, etc etc...

The point of the Optifast was never to think we could survive like that long term. It was a way to subsist, ensuring we dropped weight and stayed motivated, while we got 'off' food (like any other addict) and re-learned everything we knew.

It was pretty amazing, to be honest. And yes, a LOT of people gain back the weight. It would be REALLY REALLY easy to do so.

But if you're using the program as you might another addiction program, and really ABSORB what you're bring taught, the Optifast is not the part you focus on.

Good luck!

Hmmm, interesting way to look at it, good point :)
  • stomsick
    stomsick Posts: 18 Member
    I'm starting Optifast on Monday....I know this thread is over a year old...was wondering how everyone did and if they kept the weight off and how they did it! I'm nervous but excited at the same time. Any words of wisdom??
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    I lost ~50 lbs on the program in 2012 and then another ~50 on my own after. For the most part, I have kept it off. I go up and down 5-10 lbs now and then. I am not always great about the food part, but definitely kept the exercise habit. Also, I still log everything, every day.
  • stomsick
    stomsick Posts: 18 Member
    That's great! I'm hoping that this will jump start me...I've been logging and tracking for 6 months and nothing is happening. I will continue to keep logging afterwards too.
  • emmab852012
    emmab852012 Posts: 82 Member
    I just started today, 2nd time. First time i lost 50lbs, but cheated often. Not this time!
  • lsg15
    lsg15 Posts: 14 Member
    Hi Everyone,
    I started Optifast through Kaiser on Jan 19,2016 at 223lbs and 5'7". I just finished 17 weeks of Optifast and began transitioning and had my first "real food" meal last night, 3 oz of chicken breast and asparagus for a total of 230 cals. I have battled weight my entire adult life, losing and regaining. After seeing my lab results in Jan and noting that I was prediabetic that was enough to push me to completely committing to this program. I was already on a blood pressure pill. I did not want to be a victim to the effects of diabetes.

I've had 6 Optifast meals/day for a total of 960 cals for the last 17 weeks. I 100% committed to this program. I never once ate off plan. When the delicious smells of food came my way, I just reminded myself of why I was doing this and how I felt when I stepped on the scale each week and saw the progress towards my goal. That was enough motivation for me. I have a husband that I still made meals for from time to time but he and my friends and family have been very supportive. I went out to restaurants and events but planned so that I took the Optifast soup with me or I ate a bar or shake before going and then just enjoyed the company over a glass of diet soda or coffee. I did not want to isolate myself because I know the real world is out there and I needed to learn how to have it in my life and not make my life all about food. I have sat through many nice meals with my friends and family and incorporated my food plan into it and survived and felt good about it.

It comes down to making yourself #1 and remembering that life is just a series of choices and the choices you make effect the outcome. Attending the classes weekly gives support and new friendships. It really helps to share and open up to others. The medical management gives you the real numbers of what your body is doing and is just another way to see your progress.

So, here is where I'm at now. As of 5/10/16 I weighed in at 180 for a total loss of 43 pounds in 17 weeks of full meal replacement products and not straying from plan. I went from a size 18 to nearly a 12. I am happy to say that I am off ALL medication with a normal blood pressure and my A1c is 5.7 from 6.3.

My goal for activity was 10000 steps per day but you set that yourself and I made that about half the time. Some in my class who had physical difficulty had goals of just getting in 100 more steps than the day before. You set your own goals that are realistic and try to do better each day. Some days you are successful and some days not but you don't stop trying to reach the goal completely. Just start over.

I have had no adverse side effects with Optifast and have used this time to learn about myself. I am not one who enjoys cooking or being in the kitchen so I have had to put lots of thought into how I will plan and prepare meals because eating out and fast food was a staple for me. I have bought an Air Fryer which I just love and it is quick and easy. If I'm cooking it has to be simple. I'm happy with chicken and asparagus for now. Over the next few weeks we will drop a meal replacement and add a "real food" meal at around 250 cals each to start revving up our metabolism to continue to lose weight. 20 pounds to go.

I wish all of you the best on your weight loss plan. Optifast works as do most plans IF you commit 100% and remember why you are doing it, remind yourself of your goal, savor the positive effects and learn from the not so positive effects.
  • Officially_Rosey
    Officially_Rosey Posts: 73 Member
    lsg15 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,
    I started Optifast through Kaiser on Jan 19,2016 at 223lbs and 5'7". I just finished 17 weeks of Optifast and began transitioning and had my first "real food" meal last night, 3 oz of chicken breast and asparagus for a total of 230 cals. I have battled weight my entire adult life, losing and regaining. After seeing my lab results in Jan and noting that I was prediabetic that was enough to push me to completely committing to this program. I was already on a blood pressure pill. I did not want to be a victim to the effects of diabetes.

I've had 6 Optifast meals/day for a total of 960 cals for the last 17 weeks. I 100% committed to this program. I never once ate off plan. When the delicious smells of food came my way, I just reminded myself of why I was doing this and how I felt when I stepped on the scale each week and saw the progress towards my goal. That was enough motivation for me. I have a husband that I still made meals for from time to time but he and my friends and family have been very supportive. I went out to restaurants and events but planned so that I took the Optifast soup with me or I ate a bar or shake before going and then just enjoyed the company over a glass of diet soda or coffee. I did not want to isolate myself because I know the real world is out there and I needed to learn how to have it in my life and not make my life all about food. I have sat through many nice meals with my friends and family and incorporated my food plan into it and survived and felt good about it.

It comes down to making yourself #1 and remembering that life is just a series of choices and the choices you make effect the outcome. Attending the classes weekly gives support and new friendships. It really helps to share and open up to others. The medical management gives you the real numbers of what your body is doing and is just another way to see your progress.

So, here is where I'm at now. As of 5/10/16 I weighed in at 180 for a total loss of 43 pounds in 17 weeks of full meal replacement products and not straying from plan. I went from a size 18 to nearly a 12. I am happy to say that I am off ALL medication with a normal blood pressure and my A1c is 5.7 from 6.3.

My goal for activity was 10000 steps per day but you set that yourself and I made that about half the time. Some in my class who had physical difficulty had goals of just getting in 100 more steps than the day before. You set your own goals that are realistic and try to do better each day. Some days you are successful and some days not but you don't stop trying to reach the goal completely. Just start over.

I have had no adverse side effects with Optifast and have used this time to learn about myself. I am not one who enjoys cooking or being in the kitchen so I have had to put lots of thought into how I will plan and prepare meals because eating out and fast food was a staple for me. I have bought an Air Fryer which I just love and it is quick and easy. If I'm cooking it has to be simple. I'm happy with chicken and asparagus for now. Over the next few weeks we will drop a meal replacement and add a "real food" meal at around 250 cals each to start revving up our metabolism to continue to lose weight. 20 pounds to go.

I wish all of you the best on your weight loss plan. Optifast works as do most plans IF you commit 100% and remember why you are doing it, remind yourself of your goal, savor the positive effects and learn from the not so positive effects.

Wow, great commitment! :) Happy for you that you got the results you were after (^^,)
  • mandylkrueger
    mandylkrueger Posts: 3 Member
    super excited I've found a group who are using optifast! I'm starting next week and I'm super excited!
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm glad to see this thread is still active!!! I'm starting the University of Michigan optifast program next month. I have 100 lbs to lose and it's daunting! I believe I'll be successful with this program especially due to the nutritionist counselling and doctor supervision. I'm curious to hear from those on the program about their experiences and for those who completed it, how they are maintaining their weight loss. Thanks :)
  • mandylkrueger
    mandylkrueger Posts: 3 Member
    hi guys! I'm starting my optifast journey tomorrow! I know it's going to be hard at first especially since Thursday my works having a cookout with great food and drinks but I know if I don't start now then I'm always going to find another excuse to start later. I'll keep you all posted :)
  • been2happy
    been2happy Posts: 1 Member
    1 week in myself. Lost 4lbs. 4 opti all day then at night something other than opti equivalent to 160 cal that is allowable. Overall under 1000 monitored calories a day. This app is helpful and my nutritionist loves it as a helpful tool during the program.