Controlling appetite and cravings!!!

Options
Hello everyone I've looked at a lot of things and I know the main thing is to drink a lot of water but what others ways are they to decrease your appetite or defeat cravings??

Replies

• kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Chewing gum helps me feel less hungry for a little while (not a long-lasting fix, though). Tea is good, too.

For cravings, there's not a whole lot that I've found. Although I'm trying to be better about my cravings, by reminding myself why giving in won't satisfy me in the long run.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I am actually taking Hydroxycut. I know a lot of people frown upon it, but I take a medication that causes extremEly high appetite and weight gain, Hydroxycut has helped me to cut back on my craving and my appetite is diminished.
  • morningskye123
    Options
    Drinking slim fast works. :)
  • mongoosealamode
    mongoosealamode Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Cut back on carbs. I started keto recently and have been hungry only a few times in the past week
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eat tons of food that is low in calories and high in fiber. Noming on baby carrots and spinach with big glasses of water through the day keeps me busy and full.

I also eat lots of broth based soups. T hey taste savory and are filling without a lot of calories.

When I have a craving I drink water, if I am still hungry I eat veggies, if I am still hungry I eat a little bit of what I was craving.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I get really bad cravings just before monthlies and I can't find anything that works I've even tried appetite suppressants they don't work just before my cycle is due to start so its basically a 2 day binge of choc or carbs..sometimes I crave meat products such as pork pies I can't just eat one..if they come in pack of 6 I can end up eating the whole pack...rest of the month I can control cravings better.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Green tea helps me.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I try a few things. First I drink a big glass of water and wait about 10-15 minutes.

After that, I figure out if this is really hunger or something else (bored/anxious/sad/etc). If it's one of those, then I figure out how to handle that - tea, gum, a walk.

And then if it really is hunger, then see what calories I've got left for the day and see what I can have.
  • RainbowKitty37
    RainbowKitty37 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber and water are what I find helpful for keeping myself in check.
  • sheppar2
    sheppar2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Certain foods stick in your gut longer, in other words they take longer to digest, leaving you feeling full or satisfied for a long time. If I eat a hot dog I'm not hungry two or three hours longer than a normal meal. Your digestive system breaks down Carbs such as pastas and breads very quickly, so if your meal is mostly those I might try adding meat or something with fiber.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Eating what i crave within my calories, because, you know... lifestyle change and all....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I make sure I eat enough nutrient dense foods, lots of fiber, plenty of protein, and try to get 30% of my calories from fat because it's satisfying. I try to leave room in my day for a small treat and drink plenty of water.

I also don't eat breakfast until I'm actually really hungry. I've found that for me, this usually isn't until around noon. For me, eating starts my appetite for the day. Delaying eating delays my appetite. This isn't true for everyone, though. Do what works best for you.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats keep me sated longer. Also, lots of nutrient dense foods (nuts, avocados), etc.
  • megphill552
    Options
    Drinking slim fast works. :)

By drinking slim fast it's only temporary you put weight back on after you've lost it, despite it being a possible contender to control my appetite
  • shannonmaines
    shannonmaines Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Definitely drinking more water helps, but I've been finding that protein helps as well. I mostly eat hard boiled eggs, chicken, nuts, and protein shakes.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Wait it out. Being SO over fed for such a long time gave me a distorted idea of what hungry was. IF I have already eaten within a reasonable amount of time and I start "feeling " hungry I'll first go for water, wait 20 minutes. ..if I'm still "hungry " I'll go for an apple or nuts etc. If I'm hungry and all my calories and macros have been accounted for, it means I'm bored, tv is fueling a desire to snack, so I go to bed, headphones in and chill.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat almost 140 grams of protein on a lot of days, at least 50 grams of fat. I snack. I have a tea that I absolutely love and can drink like 4 cups of. I've mastered high volume/low calorie eating.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to give into any cravings just make sure you don't have access to that food in your house.

If you don't have it then you can't eat it.

I also find that I only really crave unhealthy stuff if I know I have easy access to it.