Dining Out

Options
So my friend from out of town is coming and wants to go to dinner. I am really trying to be good but I havent eaten out since I joined MFP! Any healthy (but yummy) suggestions for sushi?

Replies

• mkatzb3
    mkatzb3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    So my friend from out of town is coming and wants to go to dinner. I am really trying to be good but I havent eaten out since I joined MFP! Any healthy (but yummy) suggestions for sushi?
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Many restaurants, like Applebee's and Chili's, have sections of their menus with healthier options and they'll list the calories/carb/fat content, and whatnot.

General rules are to pick dinners that come with a lean meat (chicken, fish, etc.) that's grilled, broiled or baked (no breading) and not totally drowned in thick sauces. Get veggies on the side and limit your bread intake (it won't kill to have a single roll, but leave it at that... or, if you have the willpower just say no totally :) ). If getting a pasta dish go for whole wheat pasta and only eat half (and take the other half home), because restaurants usually overdue the portion sizes.
    If doing soup or salad... stick to broth based soups (not cream based), and stay away from creamy salad dressings.

Don't be afraid to ask your waiter for specific alterations to meals (substitutions, etc).
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Double :tongue:
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Lots of places like Chili's and Famous Daves has calorie information and "healthier" options, but when you look at their calories they're outrageous!!!

Go to healthydiningfinder.com It is very cool. Also check out individual restaurant online, and lot of them list calories that are healthy, and you can get great stuff!

My bad! I missed the sushi part. :tongue: I think it must be time for me to go to bed!
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Good news: sushi is awesome.

Really, Japan has one of the healthiest diets in the world. Sushi is such a great, healthy, light dinner.

But we aren't in Japan. And the sushi we eat has often been Americanized.

So a few things to look out for:

- Anything with "tempura" in the name means it's fried. Like shrimp tempura, etc.
    - Philly rolls have cream cheese.
    - Some rolls have mayo. Check and ask to be sure yours does not.
    - Special, fusion rolls (like Scorpions) are often loaded with not-so-hot things.
    - Eel and octopus aren't "unhealthy" per se, but they are higher in fat

Also, some sushi places offer brown rice. I think it tastes better than white, and it adds fiber. Either way though, most sushi rolls don't use all that much rice. Seriously. If you tear most rolls apart and add up all the rice, it's a surprisingly small amount.

Here are some suggestions for a great roll:

- Veggie rolls, as long as there's no mayo, are almost always the lowest in calories. I.e, cucumber, avocado, etc.
    - Fishies are great for you. I love tuna, abalone, flounder, snapper, whitefish, and salmon.
    - If you use soy sauce, opt for the lower sodium kind

And some general Japanese food suggestions

- Miso soup is the bomb. It's low-cal, healthy, and delicious.
    - Edamame is great for protein
    - Seaweed is often high in sodium, but it's still a veggie and it tastes great sprinkled on soup or rice
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    MY daughter and I went out for lunch today and I had them to divide it in half and and put it in a carry out box. I had a chopped steak Bake potato/sour cream . I ate all the salad. And I had a nice evening meal with some brocoli. don't know for sure the food value but I think I came pretty close====Marie
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    For lo-cal sushi, I would start with miso and edamame...then go for sashimi, which is mostly fish. I would stay away from anything like spicy rolls. Spicy rolls have mayo in them. Some rolls also have deep fried noodles in them...so if it says 'crispy roll', stay away from that too.
    Enjoy your sushi...yum!