Calorie intake when pregnant?

Options
I know you're not supposed to diet essentially when you're pregnant, but how many calories should you consume if you're pregnant and needing to lose weight?

I know that in your third trimester you're supposed to up your calories by around 300 because your metabolism runs a lot faster but do you think my current allowance of around 1200 is enough?

Many thanks in advance

:-)

Replies

• amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    that really doesnt seem like enough to me. i mean i dont know what im talking about. ive never been pregnant nor am i a doctor but that seems like too little.
  • th1nkth1nmama
    th1nkth1nmama Posts: 158
    Options
    great question! I would love to know too!! I was told I could lose weight into my second trimester but I'm no longer pregnant... just incase I get preggers again would love to know.
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    eat women, just eat healthy that baby needs nutrients and so do you to keep up with it ! dont cut back, 1200 is what i eat daily for a non pregant younger body . you need to now feed yourself and that child to keep you both working if your not healthy and ready for labor then who knows, and if your not eating enough then that baby wont come out to healthy either. dont start a diet like that until you consult your doctor
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Please, please, PLEASE consult with your OB. Don't take advice from people on a public forum. The health of you and your baby are important. Your doctor will better be able to discuss with you how you can "diet" while still keeping yourself and your baby healthy.
  • peanutrenee
    peanutrenee Posts: 179
    Options
    my doc told me during the first 3-5 mo calorie intake should stay the same... and in the 6-9 mo up it a little bit... eat when ur hungry.. cause u do need to feed the baby but the myth of eating for two nope.. and ur not going to get a 35 lb baby so be aware of ur weight,...im 9 mo preg and ive kept my cal intake between 1200-1400 call and i work out. ive gained 35 lbs. and im due in 7 days. but talk to ur doc hed know best
  • jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    Options
    you're prego and eating for 2, you need to be eating ATLEAST 1500-1800 cals!! You are burning calories and the baby needs nutrients. STick to lean meats, veggies and low sugar fruits along with your dairy intake and you will be fine, but trying to diet while prego, you will not have a healthy baby....think about the baby
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    You should really talk to your doctor about this.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    No, 1200 is NOT enough.
    You really shouldn't loose weight when pregnant, even when you start overweight.

I am pregnant right now. I started about 20 lbs overweight. I told MFP that I want to gain 1/2 lb a week, and my calorie allotment is nearly 2000 cal a day (when I don't do any exercise). I mentioned it to my doc, and he mentioned that 1/2 lb. is closer to the min - I should be gaining 1/2 to 1 lb a week, even starting with extra weight. I am currently 20 weeks ... I gained 3 lbs then lost it again (been rather ill, really struggling to eat the full calories) so I'm still at my pre-pregnancy weight. The doctor isn't worried, but he emphasized that I need to eat small, frequent meals to help get enough calories through the day. The added 300 cal is more important later on, as the baby is growing so much faster at the end of the pregnancy than the first trimester.

Mild exercise is fine when you're pregnant. Avoid things that will get your heart rate too high, raise your body temp much, or have you on your back for long amounts of time (this last becomes more important as you move into later pregnancy). And always listen to your body and stop if you need to. This isn't the time to be striving for a new personal record.
    Swimming is an excellent exercise in pregnancy, by the way.

Also make sure you are taking some sort of multivitamin, specifically that has 400 micrograms or more of folic acid. Iron and calcium are also really important (it doesn't have to be a prenatal, my doc is fine with me taking a generic women's daily from the grocery store). Baby needs a lot of nutrients and you don't want to become deficient in anything. Also don't forget to increase protein intake.

Once the baby comes, you can take off the weight. Good news, nursing uses up about 500 calories a day. It's like a workout without the workout (sort of, lol). Until then, focus on healthy diet with lots of fruits, veggies, and proteins. You can still be building sensible eating habits.
  • lindsaybutela
    Options
    I agree, I think that 1200 calories is very low. I remember reading everywhere that you should ideally gain 25-35 lbs during the course of your pregnancy, and that weight gain varies per trimester. When I was pregnant, I didn't worry about my calories, and I ended up gaining a respectable 38 lbs. As long as you are getting plenty from each food group (especially protein!), eating when you are hungry, and avoiding junk I would think you would be fine. Still, I'm no expert :-) Talk to your doctor and see what he or she recommends! Also, "What to Expect When You're Expecting" is a great resource. Good luck with your pregnancy!
  • jenbrandt
    jenbrandt Posts: 1
    Options
    You and baby need the calories. My doc said, "It's not the time to diet." And you need to eat 300 extra calories a day. But again , the best person to consult is your OB.
  • leelee243
    leelee243 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of women "eat for 2" when pregnant... NOT necessary. It is correct that caloric needs stay the same the first half of pregnancy, but that is for people who aren't already dieting. It depends on how much you weigh now... think about weight GAIN goals, not weight loss, and is mostly based on BMI. Those that are obese should only be gaining 0-10 lbs; overweight 5-15; average 10-25; underweight 15-30.
    The second half of your pregnancy does increase your caloric needs by 300/day. BUT... eat good, wholesome, nutritious foods, drink plenty of water, take your vitamin & have a small treat when baby tells you and you'll be fine. :) GOOD LUCK
  • rainydayboys
    Options
    Talk to your doctor.

But no, I don't feel that 1200 is at all sufficient to maintain a healthy pregnancy and developing baby. Pregnancy is not a time to be trying to lose weight. Eating healthy, absolutely. But no dieting. From what I remember, the extra nutrients needed during pregnancy can be achieved by adding a banana, a hard boiled egg and a glass of milk per day to an already complete meal plan. You need more calories while prego, not less.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I set my calories to maintain my pre-pregnancy weight. Right now I'm half way through my pregnancy and I've gained 13 pounds (my doctor has never said anything about my weight and my baby is growing right on track). In your first trimester you don't need any extra calories, once you reach your second trimester you need 300 more a day. I still log my food, but to be honest I listen to my body more than anything. I eat when I'm hungry and try to make healthy choices - some days I do, some days I don't.
  • ladyisbroody
    ladyisbroody Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had heard that your calorie intake shouldn't change at first, but i'm off to the doctors in the next week to register my pregnancy so I will speak to them then. Ideally i'd like to gain as little as possible, as i'm rather overweight.

I would have thought that if i'm eating a varied diet including lots of fruit and veg, that the baby would be getting plenty of nutrients anyway, but I understand what you're all saying.
  • seansquared
    seansquared Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yeap, speak with your Doc. You really don't change your intake until late in the pregnancy, and even then only by a little.