Is cardio bad for you?

Options
Hi all, been logging in for almost 4 weeks straight, let myself go a bit (about +15 lbs). Eating much better lately and doing intense 45-60 minute cardio sessions 4-5x/week to start getting some pounds off (-7 lbs so far). So today I read that cardio will make me fat, which is not good if true. I plan on working weights into my routine starting this weekend, but what's the deal with the cardio making you fat business?

Replies

• Rashanti1
    Rashanti1 Posts: 108 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Umm....where did you happen to read that cardio makes you fat?

Also, you said yourself that you've lost 7 pounds so far so obviously it's not true lol
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Link the article.
  • zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dtodd62 wrote: »
    Hi all, been logging in for almost 4 weeks straight, let myself go a bit (about +15 lbs). Eating much better lately and doing intense 45-60 minute cardio sessions 4-5x/week to start getting some pounds off (-7 lbs so far). So today I read that cardio will make me fat, which is not good if true. I plan on working weights into my routine starting this weekend, but what's the deal with the cardio making you fat business?

It's true. Ever watch a marathon or a competitive cycling event? Nothing but obese people out there.

/s

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns a lot of fat, it can not be blamed for making one fat.

Some people will say that doing only cardio will make you "skinny fat". I think that's just a way of saying "lean but not ripped".
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent question! Our bodies were designed to do certain things, our genetics drive what we’re best at, and volume can be a problem for even the best of us.

Elite endurance athletes often struggle with very bad health issues. Why? Because they pushed themselves so far for so long. Exercise is stress, and the more intense, more often, longer we’re under stress, the more acute the response. In short, or light bouts, that can lead to adaptive improvement. And then there’s the line where it becomes chronic.

From personal experience, I’ve found my appetite goes crazy when I’m pushing out a lot of cardio. So, when I’m training for a longer run (like a marathon), I’m likely to put on weight. If I train doing long, slow distance and mix in some HIIT, I’m able to avoid the appetite pop.

Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Exercise should be geared toward other health and fitness goals. If you want good cardiovascular endurance, then by all means, train that way. But don’t think, I’ll burn more calories and lose faster. Patience and persistence are key.
  • lovelaughrun
    lovelaughrun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent question! Our bodies were designed to do certain things, our genetics drive what we’re best at, and volume can be a problem for even the best of us.

Elite endurance athletes often struggle with very bad health issues. Why? Because they pushed themselves so far for so long. Exercise is stress, and the more intense, more often, longer we’re under stress, the more acute the response. In short, or light bouts, that can lead to adaptive improvement. And then there’s the line where it becomes chronic.

From personal experience, I’ve found my appetite goes crazy when I’m pushing out a lot of cardio. So, when I’m training for a longer run (like a marathon), I’m likely to put on weight. If I train doing long, slow distance and mix in some HIIT, I’m able to avoid the appetite pop.

Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat. Exercise should be geared toward other health and fitness goals. If you want good cardiovascular endurance, then by all means, train that way. But don’t think, I’ll burn more calories and lose faster. Patience and persistence are key.

this guy ^^ gives out good, solid advice
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    So today I read that cardio will make me fat, which is not good if true.

Where on earth did you manage to find a statement like that?

It is a ludicrous level of wrong.

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes, it destroys your will to live. Proceed with extreme caution.
  • AdrianBry
    AdrianBry Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    most of those "cardio will kill you" are people trying to sell you something

remember as far as weight loss goes... anything you do (even reading or watching tv burns calories) leading to weight loss
  • dtodd62
    dtodd62 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'll attach link later
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

A year and a half old blog based on single study findings that are countered by multiple studies.

Ok.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Dumbest article I've read for a long time.
    Apart from cherry picking random facts about some specific conditions to support her hypothesis and then trying to apply that to all "cardio" (as though all cardio is the same...) some of it is so wrong as to be laughable.

Suggest you pick more intelligent and informed sources of information.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any media interpretation of a study is just going to be shock value for ratings. And they'll contradict themselves the next week.

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Yes, it destroys your will to live. Proceed with extreme caution.

This was me an hour ago on the rowing machine. I hate life all 5km of the way. Too bad I can't argue with the results that thing has given me. The inches lost since I started...

I like cardio in moderation. I generally don't do more than 30-35 minutes of any kind of medium to high intensity cardio 5 days a week.
  • dtodd62
    dtodd62 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies...I'm sure that, like everything else, moderation is the key. After I posted I also read a story that was the complete opposite view. I'll carry on, but I do need to mix in resistance training. I just thought a solid month of intense cardio would get things moving, which it has. Using this app is also a huge help, it's amazing how it changes the way you choose what to eat throughout the day.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I've seen all those fat riders in the tour de France and those marathon runners what a bunch of fatties they are
  • 999tigger
    Options

People react differently to cardio, not everyone gets hungry as a result.

You use the phrase
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.
    I thought it came from a calorific deficit, which can be created by burning calories as well as reducing consumption? I cant see why you cant go and do some exercise to assist the deficit.

• 999tigger
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies...I'm sure that, like everything else, moderation is the key. After I posted I also read a story that was the complete opposite view. I'll carry on, but I do need to mix in resistance training. I just thought a solid month of intense cardio would get things moving, which it has. Using this app is also a huge help, it's amazing how it changes the way you choose what to eat throughout the day.

Maybe learn to discrimuntae a bit more and read from more reputable sources.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

People react differently to cardio, not everyone gets hungry as a result.

You use the phrase
    Fat loss comes from what and how much you eat.
    I thought it came from a calorific deficit, which can be created by burning calories as well as reducing consumption? I cant see why you cant go and do some exercise to assist the deficit.

You’re right, everybody is their own n=1 experiment and no one thing fits everybody. But there are general principles that apply to the majority.

Yes, I strongly believe there is more going on for fat loss than just the quantity of calories in and the quantity of calories out. For example, if you choose to not eat any protein, you’re likely to lose more muscle than fat. And if you allow your hormones to get out of whack or don’t provide the nutrition your thyroid needs, you’ll put on fat even if you’re eating at a deficit (all along sacrificing muscle).

You can look at your exercise calories as a part of the overall burn, but let’s look at a basic day with and without exercise:

Without exercise
    Eat 1200 calories, daily need 1700, deficit 500, expected weight loss is 1 lb per week (on average).

With exercise
    Eat 1700 calories, daily need 1700 + 500 calories from exercise, deficit, 500 calories, expected weight loss is 1 lb per week (on average).

Could you eat even less with exercise and effectively lose more? Yes, but for many of us, we need the energy to keep up the intensity of the exercise (burning 500 calories through exercise takes effort).