So very frustrated with slow progress

Options
I have about 100lbs to lose and I am so frustrated! I have been trying since January and it's like I have to fight my body for every little pound. I have lost 26lbs, and it's not coming off very quick. I feel like it should be melting off when I have so much to lose! I'm logging very carefully, counting each calorie and just started exercising but it is so slow... definitely not 2lbs a week. I do one cheat day a week, and if I want a little treat I try to do enough exercise to cover it. It's never been this hard before! I have yo-yo'd my whole life and it usually comes off really easy. I suppose having 2 kids changes things. :-/

Replies

• 0Amra
    0Amra Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    26 lbs is great progress! You should be proud of yourself, you've already achieved 1/4 of your total goal. If it helps, it took me about a year and a half to lose 100 lbs. It definitely didn't melt away, but slowly I got there. Keep at it, you'll get there eventually :smile:
  • KayRisTee
    KayRisTee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That's 2lbs a week, which is pretty amazing! Looking at the number to lose makes it seem slower than it actually is. Maybe you could try focusing on amount lost as oppose to thinking how much you have to lose. OR think of it as it's 26 more pounds than you lost last year (I assume). Either way you're doing awesome! Keep it up and don't get discourage.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I have about 100lbs to lose and I am so frustrated! I have been trying since January and it's like I have to fight my body for every little pound. I have lost 26lbs, and it's not coming off very quick. I feel like it should be melting off when I have so much to lose! I'm logging very carefully, counting each calorie and just started exercising but it is so slow... definitely not 2lbs a week. I do one cheat day a week, and if I want a little treat I try to do enough exercise to cover it. It's never been this hard before! I have yo-yo'd my whole life and it usually comes off really easy. I suppose having 2 kids changes things. :-/

26 pounds since January is not slow progress. Just keep doing what you're doing. It seems to be working so far.

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    That's actually VERY good progress. I've only lost 13 pounds since December 10th with careful deficit and a dedicated gym routine. I'd be jumping for joy if I lost over a quarter of my weight loss goals the way you have!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should probably readjust your expectations if you think that's slow.

Plus, 26 lbs is fantastic.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Actually, go count - that is 2lbs/week. I agree with Ninkyou, you need to adjust your expectations. If you are finding it difficult or too restrictive, I would suggest relaxing your goal so that you are more comfortable. The time will pass faster.

I've been using MFP for almost a year, and it does not seem like it at all! It's just habitual now. If I was depriving myself, it would have been excruciating, though.
  • aksteve777
    aksteve777 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    dont give up as you'll just have to start over. You can do it, just keep on keeping on. :wink:
  • parkerpowerlift
    parkerpowerlift Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    If you're averaging 10 pounds a month, you'll meet your goal by the end of 2015 or early 2016. Like everyone else has said, you actually are having really good progress! I'd average 1-2 lbs lost for the beginning of my weight loss. It's taken me 10 months to lose 43 pounds, OP.

You can do it!
  • elephant2mouse
    elephant2mouse Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    That's very quick! It's taken me over a year and a half to lose 60!
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Previously, it took me 30 months to lose 30 lbs! Now that's slow progress. But it was great to see the scale going down.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Slow progress? I have loss 25lbs since November. I think you're doing great!
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    26 pounds since January? Are you kidding? I've lost 8 pounds since January and I've done all the "right" things with 1200 calories a day and moderate exercise. About 2 cheat days this entire time period. (You're probably younger than me.) I congratulate you on this very impressive weight loss!
  • mistydm76
    mistydm76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That is good progress. I have lost 16 lbs since Jan. I also have been logging calories and working out 3 times a day.
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on the 100lbs!!
    Think of it in 10lb increments. Each 10lbs I lose I celebrate it with buying new workout clothes or stuff that will keep me motivated. I also do a see u later dance.
    Ive been able to have 5 celebrations thus far. I focus on that part not the other 40lbs I want to lose. Four more celebritions to look forward to!!

Your are doing great!!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    25 pounds in 2.5 months? It took me four months to lose that much. Congratulations, you've got this down!
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    26 pounds since January is excellent. I have lost close to 27, but I've been working on it since late August. You're 26 pounds smaller than where you started, so that is definitely great progress - concentrate on the the fact that you ARE making progress.
  • cdn_beaver
    cdn_beaver Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Take progress pictures and keep measurements of your body. You can be losing fat without having the scale move. Don't think of this as a race and just take it one day at a time. You'll get there eventually so just enjoy the ride!
  • heatherb243
    heatherb243 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I guess I should be more positive... I feel like it has just slowed down lately. The first week I think it was 6lbs and I just wanted to keep that pace. Last week it was only a half pound. I'm going to be very excited to hit under 200lbs, but maybe I'm being impatient.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Healthy and safe is 1-2lb a week. Does your calorific deficit add up to more, have you worked out what its reasonable to expect?

11 weeks and 3 days if you started on Jan 1.

Roughly 2.3lb a week.

Where you should be looking at is making sure you get to the end and lose it all and why you have yo yo'd in the past. There is no doubt you are being impatient as well as unrealistic. Chill out and support yourself over the great results you have.

• heatherb243
    heatherb243 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm quite sure that I am being impatient, I just felt like since I am so big it would go faster. I guess I didn't really look at the math before I posted, since my loss has slowed to .5 lbs last week. I have so far to go and it is really disappointing to hit a plateau already.