Am I doing it wrong?

Options
shibainulover14
shibainulover14 Posts: 13
edited March 2015 in Introduce Yourself
One of my friends said that she would exercise with me and we would both lose weight. Which I was very excited about. Then she gave me advise on what to eat and when we exercise together. Which also, isent that bad. But now that I'm fully committed to losing weight. I'm afraid to eat.
I have been eating about 500 calories a day and in 2 months I have lost 17 pounds. I just want to lose my weight so bad I'll do anything to loose weight at this point. But my other friend is telling me it's unhealthy and really bad for me, but it's hard to break now that I changed my eating completely. I exercise almost every day for about a hour on the elliptical and burn about 400 calories a day.I just don't know what to do if anyone has any suggestions for me I'd really appreciate the help.

Replies

• bq4me
    bq4me Posts: 9
    Options
    You should definitely increase your calorie intake. this is definitely not healthy. you can increase your worK outs instead.This can cause lack of nutrients in your body.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who experienced the worst. When you don't consume enough calories, and your body can't find enough fat source, it will turn to your muscles. And what is your heart? It's a muscle.

I had an eating disorder for 17 years. My body, literally was consuming my heart for energy. I now have two heart problems.

Is it really worth it now to lose the weight that fast if it's just going to speed up your death?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Speak with a professional
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @My_Butt‌ all I really want is a flat stomach. And I just get afraid if I eat I won't lose any weight that month :( and I'll feel like I didn't do my best to diet. :s
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Are you doing it wrong? YES
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @bq4me‌ thank you for the help~ if I exercise on a elliptical for about a hour. Should I be on it for 2 hours or a hour and thirty? Because a hour on there is about 4 miles for me.
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @JimFsfitnesspal‌ then how do I do it right? Because one of my friends is saying that's ok. Then another is saying it's not ):
  • bq4me
    Options
    Well you can add weight training on top of the elliptical that will help u burn fat
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @malibu927‌ I don't know any..or where they are ): just my friends really
  • bq4me
    Options
    You don't want your body burning muscle. I can't imagine 500 calories that's insane. Where do u even get the strength to work out
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @bq4me‌ okie thank you :) I will try that tomorrow when I go to the gym~
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have been eating about 500 calories a day ...

Are you doing it wrong? Yes. Slow and steady is the way.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What you are doing is not healthy, and may be dangerous. Talk to a doctor/dietician etc. You should increase your calories to at least 1200. A better option is to eat about 1800 calories and burn 600 calories on a treadmill.

A 500 calorie diet will make all your muscles dissipate, and you will soon end up looking someone living in a famine.
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @bq4me‌ I usually try to go early and in the morning I'm not hungry. So I just go work out and when I get home I have like a 160 calorie bowl of cereal.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @My_Butt‌ all I really want is a flat stomach. And I just get afraid if I eat I won't lose any weight that month :( and I'll feel like I didn't do my best to diet. :s

You could disclose your height, current weight etc, so that your MFP friends can give you better suggestions. Perhaps you may need to talk to a therapist to deal with your perceptions about your body.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    My_Butt wrote: »
    Take it from someone who experienced the worst. When you don't consume enough calories, and your body can't find enough fat source, it will turn to your muscles. And what is your heart? It's a muscle.

I had an eating disorder for 17 years. My body, literally was consuming my heart for energy. I now have two heart problems.

Is it really worth it now to lose the weight that fast if it's just going to speed up your death?

Quoting as a reminder and adding a link to National Eating Disorders.
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

Please eat more food, or even drink a shake or smoothie. Listen to your other friend who's telling you to eat.
  • snowflakesav
    snowflakesav Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day is too few to provide good nutrition. Good nutrition gives you pretty hair, great skin, and keeps your brain functioning.

You can still lose weight and get great results by eating a few more calories... Check out the calculator when you set up your profile.

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    OP: This is my personal experience. Every equation that sounds like: "If I achieve X, then I will by happy," or "When I reach Y, I will be happy" is an equation that is never solved. Because these are just external proxies. You're not addressing the real source of happiness and wellness that is in your inmost soul.

If you've truly been eating 500 calories a day, then you need to introduce yourself to a medical doctor and a therapist rather than an Internet board full of well-intentioned strangers.
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @zamphir66‌ I don't feel sick and needed some advise. I didn't know what to do...I don't feel like I need a therapist but Ty for your concern.
  • shibainulover14
    Options
    @snowflakesav‌ thank you for your help~