Logging 10,000 steps as exercise

Options
I also posted this on the exercise sub forum, but i feel more comfortable over here. It was the first time i had ever ventured over there lol

I recently purchased a pedometer and am smashing out 10,000 steps most days. I don't count the normal everyday steps around the house. I pretty much power march outside to get to 10,000. I have read that this amount of steps can burn between 400-500 calories...
My question is can i log those steps as exercise? I'd err on the lower side of say 300 calories, and if i have to, eat back half, but will try not to.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Did you factor these steps into your activity level when you set up your MFP goals?

If not, I would log them. If you selected a higher activity level based on the amount of walking you do, I would consider them already factored into your calorie goal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Did you factor these steps into your activity level when you set up your MFP goals?

If not, I would log them. If you selected a higher activity level based on the amount of walking you do, I would consider them already factored into your calorie goal.

Nope, I set it to sedentary. The 10,000 steps is on top of my normal everyday activity. So it's probably closer to 12,000-13,000

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Log them as walking, at the speed that you generally walk.

P.S. Woo-hoo! Good for you for getting to the 10,000 mark!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Log them as walking, at the speed that you generally walk.

P.S. Woo-hoo! Good for you for getting to the 10,000 mark!

Thank you :flowerforyou:

I walk just under a jogging pace and do I don't know how many laps around my house and up and down the street! :blush: Each session makes me out of breath...

• Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There are calculators online that will give you more exact calorie burn on walking steps. I always thought it was 10,000 steps~ 5 miles~ 500 calories BUT!!!!! The actual calculation is based upon height, weight and stride length :s. For instance, I'm not quite 5'.. So rather than 2,000 steps per mile my steps are 2,514 per mile. I average between 9,000 and 13,500 steps a day. At 13,500 steps my calorie expenditure is only 381. At 10,000 steps I burn 282. I don't personally count it now that I know that's pretty much where I fall in the normal course of my day, but I will add in extra intentional walking like if we go for a hike or something. GREAT job on getting your step numbers every day :D
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Just under a jog is a totally different speed for different people.

I go with how fast I know that I walk when I am on a treadmill...or a slower pace if I know that I was loafing. MPF will calculate the calories for you.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,757 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You can connect MFP to free pedometers such as Pacer (iphone, Android), and to the apps of manufacturers of "activity tracking" devices such as Fitbit or Jawbone.

After careful observation and measurements I currently believe that (in MY case) approximately 16000 steps on Fitbit = 13000 steps on Pacer = (a tad above) "Active" setting on MFP.

I suspect that a total of about 5-6,000 steps (that include both daily living and "purposeful" steps for exercise) is the limit of what corresponds to the "sedentary" activity level on MFP.

As you move beyond that level you should either eat back your true exercise calories or modify your base activity level to correspond to your actual movement.

"trying not to (eat back exercise calories)".
    MFP, as I am sure you know, assumes that you will eat back your true exercise calories, the ones that are additional to your stated activity level.

The reason we only eat back "some" of our exercise calories is because often there is an over-estimation of our exercise calories and/or the inclusion of BMR calories in the number we are given as exercise calories.

By only eating back "some" we are protecting against eating back more than we've actually spent.

IF we knew the exact number of our exercise calories, however, why would we not eat them ALL back?

There is, presumably, a reason why we picked a 500/750/1000 calorie deficit as opposed to a 1000/1250/1500 deficit as our goal, right?

When we do not eat back our actual exercise calories we are actually changing that goal.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I also posted this on the exercise sub forum, but i feel more comfortable over here. It was the first time i had ever ventured over there lol

I recently purchased a pedometer and am smashing out 10,000 steps most days. I don't count the normal everyday steps around the house. I pretty much power march outside to get to 10,000. I have read that this amount of steps can burn between 400-500 calories...
    My question is can i log those steps as exercise? I'd err on the lower side of say 300 calories, and if i have to, eat back half, but will try not to.

I bought a Fitbit HR. It's just kind of like, "Sit back son. I got this.".
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking, that goes beyond your normal activity level, is exercise.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    <5000 steps/day = 'sedentary
    5000-7499 steps/day = low active
    7500-9999 steps/day = somewhat active
    >or=10000 steps/day= active
    >12500 steps/day= highly active
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14715035

I found this which is about what I think.

When I get around the 8-9k steps I feel I have been sort of active.
  • clubbybear
    clubbybear Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip and so far today I'm at 10,910 steps and it's given me 337 excersize calories. I will lose a few if I don't keep moving until midnight. I have to get closer to 15,000 steps to get 500 extra calories.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

My Fitbit starts giving me extra calories when I get to between 3-4,000 steps (depends how many stairs I've done to that point, and these include both general activity steps and the kind of marching with purpose you mentioned). In total, if I do 10,000 steps, I get an extra 300 cals or so, which I eat if I want them. Your plan sounds like a good one.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Just under a jog is a totally different speed for different people.

I go with how fast I know that I walk when I am on a treadmill...or a slower pace if I know that I was loafing. MPF will calculate the calories for you.

True. I was out walking with a guy one time and he decided to jog a while. I jogged with him until I got tired and went back to walking. I kept up with him for quite a while with him jogging and me walking.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I depend on my vivofit to calculate that stuff cause I'm math dumb. And my use of grammar sucks too. I agree with the gentleman who said to maybe set your level up from sedentary. I had 13,119 steps today but I only got 119 calorie adjustment because I wear an HRM when I exercise and it logs that exercise. It wont give me credit twice.