Injured knee

Options
I am DYING to get back to running and other cardio - but my hurt my knee a little while ago.
What other suggestions are there for cardio that wont impact my knee??? I have a hard time even walking at times

Replies

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Try swimming. I had to take a break from running two years ago due to runner's knee and swimming helped out a lot.
  • kimark1
    kimark1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds series. I have a little trouble with my knees as well and these workouts don't seem to bother it as much as some of the others that have a lot of jumping or twisting leg movements.
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    bump - I aggravated an old injury (from 4 years ago - DID NOT require surgery) so I'm interested to see what people say.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Swimming and elliptical
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Swimming is always good.

When I sprained my ankle I started doing cardio boxing (Wii Sports Active) sitting on my exercise ball, worked my core well at the same time.
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    try emu cream i was suffering with pain in my knees from biking someone reckomendend this and it worked wanders :-)
  • abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    Swimming is ideal if you have access to a pool. If you can handle the elliptical, it's the closest to running that will do the least damage to your knee because of the impact. Biking is good too! Don't forget to do some strength exercises (leg press, leg extensions, squats, etc) to build up stability in your knee.

I've had two major knee surgeries so I know how you're feeling. Please, please, please take it slow so you don't reinjure yourself!
  • charliep1984
    Options
    Hi,

I recently dislocated my knee and I've found that cycling has been my saviour whilst trying to get back to full fitness.

I was cycling before I was even walking properly and would highly recommend it, low impact and real strengthening potential.

Charlie
  • mizzdivat
    mizzdivat Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I injured my L-knee cap after my first half marathon in April of this year. I haven't been able to work-out like I want to since. Walking and low impact treadmil is all i've pretty much been able to do. The knee is gettin better, but it's a slow heal and it sucks!
  • elemire
    elemire Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    See a physical therapist- I had an injury last November and she recommended Kinesio Tape to stabalize the knee.
    She also got me back to running in only couple of months. In the meantime swimming and low resistance on the bike.
    Good Luck!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    One of the cardio exercises I do at the gym is using a 10lb medicine ball and holding it over my head and then slamming it down to the floor... doing it 20 times and then throwing it against the wall for a minute seeing how many you can do. repeat that 3 times. Your HR will increase a lot! I have to wait in between to get my HR back down before I start the next set! Would be no stress on the knees!

4925355.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter