Lady Cramps

Options
How do people deal with them?

I don't generally get them too badly, just a bit achey, moody and want to eat the entire world but can generally work through it.

Today, even though I have taken some painkillers, I just went for a little wander round work and it nearly made me cry.

Does not bode well for the gym this evening...

Any suggestions?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I used to use a heating pad across my belly to ease them a bit. 20 minutes on and then 20 minutes off. Repeat as necessary.
  • XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Just midol and relaxing. I know you can't go to gym obvi cause you're in pain, but I've noticed that when I get my period and I still go to gym I feel good physically and my period goes away sooner and it doesn't come too heavy, not sure why but I love it.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Black coffee helps. Skipping anything greasy helps too, I usually just get a giant salad for lunch on That Day. And if they're unusually bad, I would just take some sick time and take a nap, and/or just move my gym time to the next morning. Nothing is worth being awake to feel that awful.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Walking actually helps mine.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Those stick on heating pads are a MIRACLE.

Also, I'm so with you on this today, so, you know...shark week high five and all.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I don't get them bad, but when I do:

Yoga
    Baths
    Heat packs
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Mine are much better than they used to be since I switched birth controls.

But usually:
    Heating pad
    Ibuprofen
    Going for a run
    Stretching

All seem to help.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Those stick on heating pads are a MIRACLE.

Also, I'm so with you on this today, so, you know...shark week high five and all.

Made me chuckle!

Normally they're not too bad and I prefer to go to the gym so I can earn a extra calories in case I suddenly NEED chocolate or pizza or something. And sometimes it helps with tame the PMT monster. Tho moot point right now cuz I'm feeling a ikle sick from the pain.

Grrrr. And wah.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Low impact cardio usually helps with my cramps. And another vote for heating pads.
  • Milotic2015
    Milotic2015 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Walking, Taking a warm bath and advoiding all caffine helps with mine. If they are too bad then i take advil or tylnol.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'll eat a banana and pop some ibuprofen. Sometimes it is hard to do, but getting moving and working out helps the most.

I hate heating pads...they make me feel sick....
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

I don't generally get them too badly, just a bit achey, moody and want to eat the entire world but can generally work through it.

Today, even though I have taken some painkillers, I just went for a little wander round work and it nearly made me cry.

Any suggestions?

I do the following:
    - Pay extra attention to hydration.
    - Pay extra attention to sodium (and keep it lower around TOM).
    - Take ibuprofen (if necessary)
    - Use a heating pad (I like the stick-on ones), it was a revelation to me how helpful they are!
    - Exercise, but forgive myself if I just can't manage the same intensity as usual.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Cold chamomile tea (brew warm and let it cool) Sounds strange probably- but its an antispasmodic (anti cramping) when cold. This has worked wonders for my cramps.

Also walking, keeping hydrated and keeping sodium and dairy low
  • justjack18
    justjack18 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Heating pads and hot baths are the only thing that help me. Oh and a nap lol
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    The sticky hot patches, hot water bottles, heating packs, and Ponstan. And no exercise (exercising makes them worse for me).

And plenty of curling up on the couch with favourite movies and sulking.
  • AlexisMichele93
    AlexisMichele93 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Same thing as everyone else has said! I have endometriosis so mine are pretty bad. I miss school, have to go to the doctor, etcetc. I relax, use a heating pad, take my prescriptions (I have a pain killer, I would suggest something with naproxen sodium, and I have iron supplements for my anemia) eat foods I enjoy even if they go a little over my limit, massage my stomach, cry any pain out for a little bit, distract myself in anyway possible, drink a lot of tea, nap, sit in the shower/take a bath time permitting, and when my cramps subside a little I can do a bit of minimal exercise to alleviate some of my pain. You'd have to try the last one yourself as I've heard it hurts some and helps others. Curling into a ball and then uncurling seems more relaxing to me than remaining curled up, I dunno maybe it's the satisfaction of getting to get that little "ah, a bit better" when rolling into a ball each time lol
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Tylenol, but when that doesn't work, I put a lot of pressure on my abdomen. Sometimes I even lean forward over the back of the couch so I can press my body weight down.

I have heard magnesium can help and I 'm considering giving it a shot.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    working out makes my crampy ring of fire even worse

i relax and put heating pads on my lower stomach and lower back while curled up in a ball

lots of tylenol
  • billiebutton
    billiebutton Posts: 49 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Any suggestions?

I have several magic bags (once that that has straps that I put around my back for my back pain, one for cramps, and one I'll use for my legs.I also take evening primrose oil and also use Naproxen and or Acetominophen. I get debilitating cramps that cause me to throw up. I find it hard to exercise at that time since I'm in so much pain. I do find exercise helps though if I can force myself to. Also nice hot baths.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

You might try taking calcium and magnesium in the days leading up to your period. Don't go crazy with them ... especially not the magnesium. Stay within recommended doses. But I seem to find that they help somewhat.