how do I motivate myself to loose this weight?

Options
I need help, ever since I was a kid I've had a weight problem, been on all kinds of diets and been to a few gyms but I have a hard time staying with it.my health has gone down hill type 2 diabeties, high blood pressure, and now my 16yr old is on the verge of diabetes, help

Replies

• StassiaMCruz
    StassiaMCruz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is going off & on diets. What you would have to do is change your entire lifestyle permanently. It's the only way to lose the weight & keep it off.
  • gpstreet
    gpstreet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think that by joining this site you have made the biggest step in the right direction by addressing your 'problem'. It is full of good advise and stories to keep you motivated.

For me, I constantly have the site up on my computer and activatley recording all food and drink I take in. I also measure my weight at the same time every day (just after I get up and have paid nature a call) and then I 'check-in' the measurements. Most days I am happy to see the result. Some days I know I have indulged and I can see it in the graph. But everyday I am happy to see the slow drop in weight and know that my actions are having results. It seems that there will be a big drop in weight at first and then slow down to a gradual decrease. Don't let this perturb you.
    Take photos so you have something to compare against.
  • StassiaMCruz
    StassiaMCruz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Set goals. Plan your meals. Get excited about working out. Buy cute gym clothes & a cute goal outfit. Write down why you want to change & go for it! We're all here to help you along your journey if you need it!
  • soonerthanlater
    soonerthanlater Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In my experience, motivation gets you started, habit keeps you going. Focus hard on WHY you want to be fit (more energy, less illness, example for your kids, whatever is important to you) while you build a healthy set of habits. Every time you think of eating something, ask yourself if eating that thing will help move you toward your goals. If not, what will? Also, don't beat yourself up for past 'failures'. Live in the Now. For example, Now, I am going back to bed to get a little shuteye ahead of my 5 AM workout. Best of luck to you.
  • callieanna6279
    callieanna6279 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks , I'm gonna try to keep track of what I eat on here , and hubby and I are talking about taking family walks in the evening so hopefully it will help, I'm always tired so hoping I can get myself to do this and exercise? Thanks for the help everyone I think this site will help a lot
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    Learning to eat well is like learning to ride a bike - or any skill. A lot of us want to hop right onto a new program and take off, but we really need to learn balance first. Start slowly if you need to, allow yourself to have setbacks without giving up, and keep moving forward even when progress may feel slower than you should like. Set small goals and create new habits. Habits have been the most important thing for me. I think it's the trying to do it all at once that keeps us crashing over and over.
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    This site will help and teach you to lose weight. You are allowed a daily budget of food, counted in calories. If you spend no more than your daily allowance, you will lose weight. If your 'wallet' is spent, then you have to wait for breakfast....

However, in your case, your health and even your life is highly at risk as well, you should be followed up by a professional, and really follow up on what they are saying, to avoid an early grave! This sounds harsh, but my mothers family is predisposed to develop type 2 diabetes (bad pancreases I guess). We have family members that died of it prematurely, lost limbs, are on dialysis... because they were not taking care of themselves properly. The problem with being hyperglycemic is, that you do not feel the destructive forces of diabetes untill it is too late.
    So use this site to track your calorie-intake, and to lose weight, but do no longer eat anything that you want. As a diabetic, you need to be very strict about it. My grandfather was diagnosed at age 40, is now 86. He deals with his food intake in a military manner, but tells me it is still a daily struggle after all this time. The result is that he is in very good shape for his age, the big exception at the diabetes clinic both he and my mum attend. He is their longest diagnosed patient, still in good health.

It is a disease that slowly kills, and it is usually underestimated.

I guess that should be your motivation!

Dealing with diabetes is a life long struggle. If you can turn your food choices around, especially for your 16 year old, before it is too late, it will be your greatest gift to them!

I know, a bit of a rant, but it is a sensitive subject for me! My father was diagnosed 3 months ago, my Mum 3 years ago.

Starting with the family walks is a great idea, that is positive on more than one level!