Sugar free products/Bad tum

Options
I was just wondering does anyone else suffer from a bad tummy when they eat sugar free products. I know that a lot contain sorbitol etc and that can cause it. But I seem to suffer even when I have a sugar free chocolate bar. I'm diabetic so can't really consume to much sugar as it will effect my blood sugars. Any ideas for some sweet treats. Thanks. I live in the UK so should be available over hear

Replies

• nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    He'll yeah everytime I fly I usually chew half a pack of trident or stride and the sorbitol always gasses me up for a while.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yes, most sugar alcohols (except erythritol) can cause gastric distress. Erythrtiol, stevia and lo han guo (monk fruit) are generally good. If you are ok with artificial sweeteners, look for sucralose or aspartame. Use caution/or eat in small amounts of the following sugar alcohols (also called polyols or glycitol) until you know their effect on you: sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol (also toxic to dogs), isomalt. There are a few others but they are not as common. Also use caution with certain types of fiber used in some low carb/low calorie foods (these aren't necessarily bad, but some people do have a bad reaction/bloating/gastric upset) such as inulin, polydextrose, or isomalto-oligosaccharides (IMO). Since you are diabetic, you should also check how foods containing any of these ingredients affect your blood sugars.
  • angelasrescuedog
    angelasrescuedog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    Yes, most sugar alcohols (except erythritol) can cause gastric distress. Erythrtiol, stevia and lo han guo (monk fruit) are generally good. If you are ok with artificial sweeteners, look for sucralose or aspartame. Use caution/or eat in small amounts of the following sugar alcohols (also called polyols or glycitol) until you know their effect on you: sorbitol, maltitol, xylitol (also toxic to dogs), isomalt. There are a few others but they are not as common. Also use caution with certain types of fiber used in some low carb/low calorie foods (these aren't necessarily bad, but some people do have a bad reaction/bloating/gastric upset) such as inulin, polydextrose, or isomalto-oligosaccharides (IMO). Since you are diabetic, you should also check how foods containing any of these ingredients affect your blood sugars.

Thanks I will air on the side of caution.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah this happens to me. I have a fairly strong stomach, but if I have a pack of the sugar free worthers hard candy I WILL get unwell and have diarrhoea and feel terribly unwell for at least 24 hours. Very annoying as I like a low cal snack to use while studying.
  • MonsoonStorm
    MonsoonStorm Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    search youtube for sugar free haribo ;-)
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    yep when i eat sugar free candies i have awful upset tum & gas, frequent trips to the bathroom.. sweeteners like sweet n low dont really upset my stomach, and i have them in tea and what not. and sugar free jellys & jams seem to do fine. but things like sugar free candies, icecream & flavoured syrups seem to make me very very gassy & rumbly in the stomach. a lot of people's digestive system seem to be sensitive to them. but alas i still eat them when i really want sweets for not a lot of cals or to squeeze in some snacks lol. oh well
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. "Excess consumption may have a laxative effect" generally means for me "Don't make any plans and stock up on the Sorbent".
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. "Excess consumption may have a laxative effect" generally means for me "Don't make any plans and stock up on the Sorbent".

^^^^
    '''''may have a laxative effect''''' more like why dont i just eat some sugar free chocolate or lifesavers if i wanna get things moving along..
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    20 grams a day is a suggested limit on sugar alcohols that affect digestion. I have found I am very sensitive to xylitol, but can tolerate 50g of erythritol with just a few sound effects.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    "Bad tummy" No, but I used to drink diet soda. I stopped when I started having slurred speech from the aspartame. I never drank more than three cans per day.

Stopped using artificial sweeteners, made no other changes, and the slurred speech went away.