Food snob or not?

Options
I am actually not sure if 'food snob' is the right term, but after many food conversations I am really becoming aware of how full of nonsence I am when it comes to food. People always ask me what my family dislikes when they invite us over for dinner etc and my answer is always: Oh, we eat everything. This is sooo not true. (Well, my hubby and children eats everything). I was just wondering if anyone else had this many issues with food... Here is my list. What is yours?
1. I like the taste of mushrooms - HATE the texture.
2. I don't eat anything slimey e.g. achar (South African thing made with mango or something).
3. I don't eat any kind of spread on my bread - since I was a child. Butter/Margerine only. Cheese or meat I will take.
4. I cannot stand breakfast cereal. I think the problem arises when it gets soggy from the milk.
5. I can't stand honey - not even the smell.
6. The smell of warm milk makes me gag.
7. Love the taste of chili - don't like too much of a burn. I want to be able to taste what I eat.
8. I will eat - but don't like normal fruit e.g. banana, apple and pear - I love the tropical stuff like cantelope, kiwi etc.
9. I absolutely hate icing. I don't eat cake with icing on it. (Good thing though!) I also don't eat cake with any type of filling that could potentially have made the cake soggy.
10. This is such a MOM thing... I DO NOT eat my children's left overs. It grosses me out. If I had to give them a bite/sip of something, they can have it - I definitely do not want it back.

Now I feel even worse... And I'm not even close to finishing this list. Your turn!!!

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I'll eat pretty much anything.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    thats not a food snob - thats just picky LOL
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    A food snob would be someone that eats everything, but is critical of the process.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Your just a fussy eater.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    A food snob would be someone that eats everything, but is critical of the process.

which is why i AM a food snob LOLOLOL
    at least i admit it
  • tryanother
    tryanother Posts: 36 Member
    Options

which is why i AM a food snob LOLOLOL
    at least i admit it

Thank you for clearing that up... ;)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Kiwifruit are not tropical. They grow in New Zealand (hence the name), though we totally hijacked them from China (they were known as Chinese Gooseberries when I was a kid). NZ is decidedly temperate.

'Exotic' might be a better term for your fruit preferences.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ha ha I see where you're coming from OP - I don't consider myself picky because I don't have major allergies or cut out major food groups etc, but I do have a few quirks:

I have a weird intolerance to uncured pork. I can eat bacon, ham and sausage with no problem, but not things like pork chops or roast pork loin - I can't digest it and it doesn't stay down.

I like bananas but don't like banana flavoured desserts - banoffee pie doesn't tempt me in the slighest

I love mushrooms but hate mushroom soup and mushroomy cream sauces.

That's about it I think. I'm a good guest :)
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a food snob. I think because I like to cook. I'm that girl in the produce section going between the one the vine and roma tomatoes to see which is fresher that day. I try to limit anything from a bag or box (cereal being the exception) and I'm not shy at the butcher counter, I'll bat my lashes and ask them to trim off the fat for me (saves me the step)
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Now I see my problem. I'm not enough of a food snob!! I'll eat anything :)
    Off the top of my head the only thing I really cant eat is fish with bones but I think that's pretty normal.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Now I see my problem. I'm not enough of a food snob!! I'll eat anything :)
    Off the top of my head the only thing I really cant eat is fish with bones but I think that's pretty normal.
    I've never eaten bones in fish, try not to do that. :p
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ok, my turn :)
    I loooooooovee chocolate but can't stand it transformed to cake, cream, etc.
    I hate milk, it is so bad that I eat my cereal with orange juice
    I don't like sauces
    I don't like raw fish - no sushi for me
    No tartar either
    but I love all fruits and vegetables
  • tryanother
    tryanother Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Kiwifruit are not tropical. They grow in New Zealand (hence the name), though we totally hijacked them from China (they were known as Chinese Gooseberries when I was a kid). NZ is decidedly temperate.

'Exotic' might be a better term for your fruit preferences.

Did I say tropical??? I meant exotic! English not being my first language and all. :#
  • louminouche
    louminouche Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My husband is a food snob - he likes food with foam on, jus, coulis, flowers on his food.. He likes taster menus in restaurants - one mouthful and it is gone. That is what I call a food snob. I am not a food snob - i love plain food, eggs, bacon, cheese, vegetables and fruit. Pasta too. I hate offal though.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I use to not eat a lot of things, I've gotten over quite a bit of it recently by making myself eat them.

Things I won't eat:
    1. Mushrooms, period. They are gross
    2. Peas. I had a bad reaction to canned peas when i was a child and I still can't eat them
    3. Cooked carrots - love them raw but cooked ones are so slimy!
    4. Things without proper seasoning - use salt and pepper as you cook! Adding it after you're done cooking is not the same!
    5. Undercooked or raw meats of any type. I've only just started being able to handle steak cooked to medium.

There are more but that's my list for now
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I dont think food snob is the right term, if you dont like it you dont
    i dislike
    olives, green and black
    avocado
    celery
    aubergines
    that pickle in the mcdonalds burger
    liver
    kidney
    cottage cheese
    green peppers, but love red and green peppers
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I think you're a food aficionado, not a snob :smile:

I won't eat kiwi because I think *that* is slimy, so not sure how you gag it down.

I don't like...
    ... cow milk, but love soy and almond milk.
    ... commercially farmed/raised meat or fish, but love wild game
    ... beets (tastes like dirt!)
    ... pie, but love cake with a few inches of sugary birthday cake icing slathered all over
    ... egg noodles, but will eat pasta on occasion

Other stuff, too, but all in all, food and I are pretty good buddies.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No, but everybody is entitled to their aversions.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not a food snob but I have a few specific food dislikes
    • shredded lettuce
    • cheese melted on most things other than pizza and grilled cheese sandwiches
    • most hot sandwiches (exceptions: grilled cheese, hamburgers, hot dogs)
    • powdered sugar sprinkled on cheesecake
    • corn
    • meat with fruit on top or fruit-based sauces/flavors
    • water and tea with lemon in them

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Everyone has food preferences.
    I like trying new foods and generally have no trouble finding something to eat wherever I go. I would not consider myself picky but I have a list.
    I dislike eating seafood. I won't even try a lot of it.
    I dislike cucumbers. I like dill pickles. I dislike sweet pickles.
    I don't like eggs much on their own. I prefer them fairly well cooked as well.
    I will not eat liver, brains, etc. No animal feet or heads.
    I hate cilantro.
    I would only eat certain things (like insects) in a survival situation.
    I prefer food that it not so spicy hot that I can not tell what it is flavoring and just have burning pain.
    I don't like pie with sugar dumped on the crust. Soggy pie crust is also bad.
    I won't eat hot dogs unless they are somewhat charred. Please save the overcooked one for me.
    I dislike cupcakes that have 3 inches of frosting on top. Cupcakes are a bit stupid anyway.
    I dislike kettle corn.
    I don't like "processed cheese product".
    I dislike artificial fruit flavored things.
    I hate grape jelly. I secretly only like strawberry jam even if I sometimes eat other flavors.
    I don't like cantaloupe or watermelon.
    I will eat bacon but I hate the smell of bacon.
    I don't like tofu much.

There are probably other things.