Veggies Frozen or Fresh?

Options
Christine_72
Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
I've read that frozen veggies are more nutritious because they are picked and then frozen straight away. I just can't get my head around eating veggies out of a packet. I've always believed fresh is best.
What's the general consensus here, fresh or frozen? Does it really matter?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think if you are going to have them sitting in the fridge for almost a week bought "fresh" from a supermarket then frozen is better. Depends how quick they are eaten. A lot of frozen veggies are not as good as fresh though but some are pretty good.
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, flash-frozen veggies very often have more nutrients intact than the fresh ones that have traveled from the grower to the grocery, and perhaps sat around for a few days. While my brain "gets" that, my palate can't seem to come to terms with the texture of frozen veggies... they never seem to have that "snap" of fresh veggies when I prepare them (usually in a stir fry or steamed); and I can usually spot a frozen veggie in my meal from a mile away...maybe someone has advice on making them more palatable.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I bought a ton of fresh veggies today. Walking past the frozen section, they were all conveniently chopped and packaged, but i just couldn't buy them... If I knew for sure they were as healthy as fresh then i'd probably give them a go
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options
    It used to be that it took a long time for vegetables to be processed from field to table and so frozen was better. Now there are mobile packaging facilities that can literally have veg on the road to the store within hours of picking. If it is an out of season item, consider where it is being shipped from (i.e. Chile or Peru) when making your decision, but for the most part fresh and frozen are very close nutritiously in the States, Canada or UK. Another thing to consider: I tend to grab the fresh out of the fridge more readily and forget my frozen items, so my style means fresh is more nutritious. And less expensive since I end up tossing frost-bitten peas and corn quite a bit.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I buy both. One category seems to make it to the trash rather than my stomach at crazy volumes/percentages
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I think peas and corn are the best of the frozen veggies. The rest I'd manage with when fresh is gone.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    In nutrition terms they are very similar. I dont have a problem with frozen, but in a lot of circumstances prefer fresh because the texture is better. I eat a lot of veg.
  • Joyeuxbelle
    Joyeuxbelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Although I prefer fresh veggies, and will usually default to them for dinner and large meals, I do use the individual steam pack frozen veggies for lunch...purely for convenience purposes. It's so easy to chuck it into the microwave, and then mix with tuna and brown rice. I'll always buy fresh salad items for dinner in summer, and then switch over to fresh veggies in winter. Best of both worlds.

I used to prep my lunch veggies, but I'm time poor at the moment so the frozen steam bags are a lifesaver. I guess it comes down to your preferences, and priorities. If you're happy with fresh, and have the time to prepare, then there's no reason to change.

Regarding the nutritional differences; the difference in nutrients is so minimal it's really not worth worrying about, and so small that your body would know no difference.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I usually buy spinach frozen since I get more volume in a smaller package. It makes no difference in my eggs. I prefer most other things fresh though, even if their frozen counterparts might have more nutrition. I do buy frozen berries, though.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I can't believe that if there is a difference that it's enough to make a difference. I buy whichever is cheaper.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    both are good.
    fresh in season, have frozen sprouts/ broccoli/ cauliflower/ spinach in freezer.
    my tip for frozen veg is to zap in microwave first,then roast off with whatever i am cooking in oven,with plenty of seasoning/ herbs/ one cal oil to give a lovely roasted finish.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I always have frozen spinach and kale on hand for omelets, soups, smoothies, etc. Frozen peas, broccoli for different dishes. I also buy fresh veggies like lettuce, peppers, zucchini, asparagus, carrots, potatoes, fresh broccoli for roasting. I like having both.. and frozen is good in a pinch.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    With the exception of Frozen Corn, I prepare most meals from fresh Produce. During the summer, when Fresh Corn is available, I prefer to BBQ my corn on the cob.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I find that frozen veggies are best if you put them into other dishes, like soups, casseroles, etc. I eat a lot of fresh veggies and just buy them every few days. Our family goes through produce quite quickly and I find I'm making a trip to the store every couple of days. No veggies go bad in my fridge! I don't think there's much difference nutritionally between frozen and fresh.
  • kathyk519
    kathyk519 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I use both depending on what I am using them for and how I am eating them. I tend to eat fresh when I eat them raw like a salad, although I do put frozen chopped spinach into a smoothie. As far cooking is concerned, it depends on what it is and what I am making, sometimes it is a combo of fresh/frozen in one dinner.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Fresh tastes better. Frozen is more convenient. Nutrition-wise there is little difference between them.

Stop focusing on the last 1% of 1% of healthiness and just eat a balanced, portion controlled diet. You'll live a happier, richer and healthier life in general.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I buy some of each generally. I buy frozen broccoli, peas, and corn. I have to have fresh for asparagus, brussels sprouts, squash, and spinach.
  • kutedaisy
    kutedaisy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for the convenience of frozen in the fresh they have a section in produce section where veggies are already washed and cut up if that helps.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I've read that frozen veggies are more nutritious because they are picked and then frozen straight away. I just can't get my head around eating veggies out of a packet. I've always believed fresh is best.
    What's the general consensus here, fresh or frozen? Does it really matter?

frozen do have more nutrients...but it's pretty marginal and I really wouldn't do a whole lot of hand ringing over it. I eat primarily fresh...only frozen veg I eat is peas.