Protein

Options
It is suggested that protein is vital in achieving weight loss. All of the reasons to support this claim make sense. However, I have dietary restrictions which make most of the normal protein items impossible for me. I cannot eat eggs or nuts, and I cannot drink milk. Suggestions??

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Chicken, steak, pork loin, shrimp, fish...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What can you eat? :)
  • jbk120180
    Options
    My dietary restrictions are due to lactose sensitivity and IBS. I know that the above mentioned food items are considered protein, but it was y understanding that eating protein immediately following your workout was the goal. I'm not exactly gonna eat chicken or tuna steak after y workout at 8:30am. I need early morning protein suggestions, no??
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Unless you are a competitive athlete that needs to take advantage of every little detail, trying to get first place instead of second on a stage, then don't over think it. Just eat at your regularly scheduled time. If this is 1 to 4 hours later after your workout... that's ok. Your muscles won't drop off and the workout you just did won't be negated because you ate chicken 2 hours later instead of downing a protein shake 10 minutes after workout.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Well why didn't you say so?

Personally, I think steak or chicken are delicious breakfast options.

But for you, it's worth noting that whey protein powder is extremely low in lactose (a by-product of cheese making so the lactose goes into the cheese) so most people with lactose intolerance/sensitivity are able to have whey without any problems.
    So a whey protein shake made with lactose free milk may be a perfect option for you.

Of course, ham (or Canadian bacon) is a great breakfast protein too.
  • joshuachaztaylor
    joshuachaztaylor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein work good also
  • OliveDrinkin
    OliveDrinkin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My fave breakfast is a choci protein shake with banana and peanut butter (teaspoon). Or quaker protein Oatmeal, just add water.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I know that there are lactose free yogurts. I have not tried them since I have not gotten to the point where i am lactose intolerant (my mom hit it a few years ago so I have it to look forward to). I eat a lot of yogurt. I have a friend with IBS and he also has issues with eggs, which is sad because he loves them.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Can you have things like goats milk? In the back of my head, I remember hearing lactose is only in cows milk. Maybe try different cheeses from different animals.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    So many options ... just pick one of your normal breakfast items that is relatively portable, and take it with you on the days you work out.

Ideas:
    Bacon & peanut butter toast
    English muffin and sausage pattie
    Oats make with water or alternate milk products ( Soy, Almond, etc )
    Meal replacement product ( smoothie, breakfast bar, etc ).
    Biscuits and sausage gravy
    Hash ( sausage, corned beef, etc )

Non-TAD ideas:
    Ful Mudammas breakfast burrito
    Tofu scramble
  • jbk120180
    Options
    I guess I'm gonna need to buy a toaster, haha. Thanks!
  • jbk120180
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded. Very good suggestions all around.