Shirataki Noodles

Options
Has anyone trieds these noodles? If so, please provide your feedback. I also need to know if you ordered from online or from your local grocery/health food store.

I love pasta. So if this is a tasty alternative, I am all for trying it.

Thanks!

Replies

• fit4lyfe7
    fit4lyfe7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've tried them a couple of times and they are a good alternative. I've used with tomato sauce as pasta and also in a chicken stir-fry. Just make sure you rinse them well before using. I get them at a couple of my local grocery stores. Enjoy!
  • dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just couldn't get over the weird texture. I just stick with whole grain pasta or spaghetti squash.
  • seagreenstarfish
    Options
    I have eaten these plenty of times. So far I have fried them in stir fries...they are alright! I wouldn't say fabulous like that, but OK.

However, I ate them in Japan, in a dish called hotpot (which is awesome and works well in many diets..!! It is basically boiling water with veggies--then various meats are added and cooked, like a fondue in water...they meats add to the taste of course. The noodles taste great in this! So does tofu!).

I did not order online since I live in Europe. I bought at a local Japanese shop.
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I order mine online and find them a good alternative. I've used them in stir fry, spaghetti, and alfredo. You just have to rinse them well and make sure you soak all the water out. I ended up buying a sham wow thats just for my noodles because I was wasting so many paper towels. They really hold water.
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    They're ok, but not comparable to the flavor of a really good noodle. I like to think of them as a more flavorless substitute. Good with a strong sauce.

I've tried the yam kind and the tofu kind - the tofu seemed squishier, the yam a bit chewier. Both were really stinky out of the package and required a really thorough rinsing first.

I just made a stir fry, using the yam ones, some rock shrimp, stir fry veggies, black bean soy sauce, curry powder, and a TB of PB2. Tasted fine, though not as good as when I use my saimin noodles. But I got a noodle treat and it filled me up, for substantially less cal/carbs than if I added the saimin.

Anyone know if they make them freeze dried? I scrounged through Uwajimaya today, but didn't see anything like that except in the fridge case in those liquid packs.

Or has anyone rinsed/blanched them then tried freezing them in individial servings?
  • erica14304
    erica14304 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan. I can't get over the texture of them. My local grocery store carries them. They are in the health food/organic section.
  • jessie580
    jessie580 Posts: 87
    Options
    I can't get past the texture :(
    I kept gagging.

not for me!
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I get them at my regular grocery store (Meijer), in the Asian foods section. While they're not exactly like regular pasta, I do enjoy them, but as previous posters have said, they need to be well rinsed, and thoroughly dried to take out most of the moisture so that the sauce sticks better. For the calories and nutritional count, they can't be beat in my book.