Consistently low on protein :/

Options
Hi I need some alternative suggestion to getting enough protein considering I'm quite picky..
Don't really eat meat, not really a vegetarian but not a fan of most meats, and have even lost my appetite for fish lately. Still eat tuna and shell fish, but couldn't handle it more than once a wk. I love nuts the most as a protein option, but I feel like its not enough to live on and a little high in fat to eat daily. Beans and lentils I don't mind, but have a very slow digestive system so cant have these more than maybe twice a wk either.
Any other suggestions on how I can get more protein would be great :)

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Dairy (milk, yoghurt, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, cheese, etc). Eggs. Soy or nut milk. Seed or nut butters. Seeds, which you can easily add to other foods or grind up. Eggs. Tofu. Edamame. Certain grains -- quinoa is one, I think. Peas. Hummus made from chick peas, or store bought. Oatmeal w/ other protein additions (milk, seeds or nuts or nut butters, etc).

Protein powder if necessary.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, egg whites, and cottage cheese would be my suggestions.

I personally often have to drink at least one protein shake a day to meet my protein macro. Protein bars are also not too bad. Sometimes I sub them for my dessert.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I get mine from chicken, lean pork and burger, fish/seafood, quinoa, beans, nuts and nut butters, eggs, yogurt, and some veggies have a couple grams in them.

If needed, try to find a protein bar or look into protein powders. It is best to try to get your amount from real food first.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Dairy (milk, yoghurt, greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, cheese, etc). Eggs. Soy or nut milk. Seed or nut butters. Seeds, which you can easily add to other foods or grind up. Eggs. Tofu. Edamame. Certain grains -- quinoa is one, I think. Peas. Hummus made from chick peas, or store bought. Oatmeal w/ other protein additions (milk, seeds or nuts or nut butters, etc).

A good list. There are also some good protein bars out there. A bar is usually my breakfast on weekdays.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Kale, Broccoli, Brussel sprouts.
  • PhatFattyBoomBah
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    Greek yogurt, egg whites, and cottage cheese would be my suggestions.

I personally often have to drink at least one protein shake a day to meet my protein macro. Protein bars are also not too bad. Sometimes I sub them for my dessert.

These sound good to me, dairy (well soy) is probably where I get a lot of my protein, I have been having eggs lately, but often I feel a little ill after more than one of them. I do like cottage cheese and could also probably use a daily serving of yogurt for me digestive system :)

Protein bars might be a good thing to have stored at home when I need a top up though
  • PhatFattyBoomBah
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Kale, Broccoli, Brussel sprouts.

Always love a reason to eat more veg!
  • PhatFattyBoomBah
    Options

I do regularly eat oatmeal with fruit, nuts and seeds, hadn't thought about that :)
    Hummus! Excellent idea :D
  • nhaiduckfit
    nhaiduckfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're still struggling at the end of the day I'd suggest a protein powder that you enjoy and end you day with the amount of protein that you need. Protein bars are often a good way to satisfy both a "candy bar" craving as well as fill protein.

Also you can add egg whites to different things like oatmeal and smoothies!