I keep losing and then gaining the same 5 pounds

Options
I am in a major holding pattern (partially due to self-sabotage). I need to lose 25 pounds to get to my goal and have made many great healthy changes since wanting to be focused on being a healthier individual but I have probably spent the last 5 months losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. I do well for a couple of weeks and then have a couple of days that undoes all my previous hard work.

Any ideas how to break this cycle?

Thank you!

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    philpottl wrote: »
    I am in a major holding pattern (partially due to self-sabotage). I need to lose 25 pounds to get to my goal and have made many great healthy changes since wanting to be focused on being a healthier individual but I have probably spent the last 5 months losing and gaining the same 5 pounds. I do well for a couple of weeks and then have a couple of days that undoes all my previous hard work.

Thank you!

Stop restricting the foods you like that you may splurge on. Instead, eat them in moderation within your daily goal. And make sure your goal is reasonable. With 25 lbs to lose, set your goal at one pound per week.
  • lisafllrvr
    lisafllrvr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem need to lose 10lbs
  • philpottl
    philpottl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks @auudii - your message helped me reset my mindset to just being focused on the one pound a week I need to lose. I appreciate it!
    -
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    This is a hard question to answer. It is hard particularly because this is not a huge amount of weight... It does not mean that it is not as important than if you needed to lose 50 or 100 pounds.

Let me see if I can explain.. You have been possibly comfortable in your current weight and want to lose it... but your mind and your body are not in sync with each other.. So you do well, then you back off ... then you do well and back off again..

Before you know it, you do not have much time left to reach your goal and then you may do some extreme things to lose those pounds and only to gain it back and maybe some more.... Sound correct or close?

This takes getting your mind getting in sync with the rest. Those thoughts turn into actions and therefore undesired results... Until you get these working in unison it is almost impossible. Get the mind right and the physical aspects (smell, touch, sight and taste) will follow suit... You can't do anything (this goes for every situation) until the mind is right...
  • curvy2602
    Options

Thank you!

I am in the same boat. And what's worse, my safe zone as I like to call it has shifted upwards a bit. I need to get back to my old self but seem to just yoyo up and down those five pounds. I agree with auddii. Really good advice that I'm going to take on board myself. I think a two pound loss for me is unreasonable so I'm moving it back to one per week and pushing out the deadline to July. It seems like something I could actually achieve. Good luck and feel free to add me! I have not added any friends yet
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    curvy2602 wrote: »

Thank you!

I am in the same boat. And what's worse, my safe zone as I like to call it has shifted upwards a bit. I need to get back to my old self but seem to just yoyo up and down those five pounds. I agree with auddii. Really good advice that I'm going to take on board myself. I think a two pound loss for me is unreasonable so I'm moving it back to one per week and pushing out the deadline to July. It seems like something I could actually achieve. Good luck and feel free to add me! I have not added any friends yet

Why have a deadline at all?
  • curvy2602
    Options
    You're right. Deadline is the wrong word. I just meant a rough time to work towards, it kind of keeps me on track but I see your point. Maybe I should just focus on the goal and not the time.
  • curvy2602
    Options
    Also, I am not a crash dieter. I eat well but need to exercise more and eat smaller portions. That's all.