Im new - diet/running tips?

Options
Hi All! :happy:

Im new on here today. Im determined to get into shape, get fitter and stay that way. I have also never used a blog/message board so this is a day for many firsts for me.

I would really like to try running as a way to keep fit/clear my head, any tips would be greatly received. I bought a decent pair of running shoes today and breaking them in the house, tomorrow is my first run, a bit nervous about how I will get on and feel at the end. :ohwell:

This website looks like a great way to keep a track of what you are doing and how you are getting on, looking forward to seeing my progress!

Thanks for reading, have a nice evening

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    If you've never really run before I highly recommend couch to 5k (c25k) http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I have asthma and this has been a really helpful tool to not only teach me how to run, but slowly introduce it to my normal routine that wasn't high-impact.
  • nc1191
    nc1191 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was never really into message boards myself (besides facebook) before this website. Now I love it!
    Also I was never really a "runner" and I still don't consider myself one, but I'm getting there and building up endurance. My advice is just take it slow and don't push yourself. Even if it's only 10 or 15 minutes, it's better than nothing. Keep jogging for a short amount of time and slowly you'll be able to go a little longer each time. I know that wasn't expert adivce :tongue: but I'm just telling you what I've learned from my experience so far. You'll really enjoy this site. It's awesome for support and motivation and it really makes you feel good about yourself. Good luck on your journey! :smile:
  • MisstoMrs2012
    Options
    Hi and welcome, am new to this site also and pretty new to forums in general, although ive also joined a wedding site as am getting married next year!

Add me if you want and we can keep each other motivated!, am based in the UK.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hello & welcome.....excellent choice of exercise running - I have been doing it properly for a couple of years & on/off before that. I am not a natural runner & as a pear, not really the best body shape!! I also don't run that fast (my max would be 10:35 on a 10k distance). When I started I couldn't even get half a mile down the road without puffing & blowing but I found the walk/jog/walk approach worked!! Meaning run for say 1 min then walk for 3 min & so on for about 20 mins then gradually increase the run & decrease the walking part over a period of time - if u are going 2/3 times a week then u should be able to increase a little each week. Eventually u can increase the length of time & u will then run all of it!! I can say it's been a journey for me & have had to persevere & be patient but I am now surprised I can run a 10k comfortably in 65 mins. I did my 1st half marathon last year which took me a slow 3:45 but am hoping to do another next year in a sub 2:30 - anything is possible!!! My ultimate goal is to do a marathon in the next 7 years but we will have to see!!!

The other thing I would say is to get good running sox as well as trainers as they do make a difference to normal sox. Also I don't know what country you are in but "runners world" is a good magazine to look at for tips or their website, think they cover most countries.

Otherwise good luck & enjoy!!! Feel free to add me if u want some help with motivation etc!!

DF :0)
  • amoid84
    amoid84 Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi All,

Thanks for all this great advise. This notice board stuff is great!!!!!

I will take a look at the couch to 5K before my run, will try to use this, hope it works for me, thank you!

Thanks nc1199 :smile: , I think this was my problem before, I tried with a running club but I think this was far too advanced for me so I was intimidated and didnt go back, I think I needed to be told to start off slower, will keep this in mind rather than charging in. Im hoping I get on with the site, it looks really good from today, my husband has also joined today so will be spuring each other on.

MisstoMrs2012, congratulations!!! I wish you all the best for your wedding, I really hope it will be the most amazing day you can imagine. Will add you (when I figure out how, still very new, lol), keeping the motivation up sounds really good!

Dragonfly1996, thanks so much for this advise, invaluable, Also, thats great about what you have achieved, I hope I can do as well as you! How does your body shape affect your running? I would say I am apple? I def feel I am like you when you started, walking is ok, but running to the end of the road is a bit of a challenge, hopefully I can follow in your foot steps and acheive a decent run! I will look into socks, I had read about this but didnt think much of it at the time. I actually bought Runners World this month, the Paula issue, this is part of what has motivated me to do this now, it has some good articals and advise. Will add you, as said before, I need to work out how.

Thank you everyone so much!!! :happy: