Maintenance Transition Mind Games

Options
I thought it was going to be so easy to eat 1520 (AKA the maintenance for my goal weight), but I see that number and get terrified because I haven't regularly eaten that much in a long, long time. I'm comfortable hovering around my 1300-1400 gross (900-1100 net) even though I know that's completely wrong and not what I should be eating anymore. Has anyone else had this issue? I don't know how to accept the fact that I really can eat up to 2,000 on my heavy exercise days. Of course, I had no problem eating this much when I was overweight...

Stats:
5'2"
20 years old
SW: 155
CW: 117.2
Goal Range: 110-115

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! I'm having serious problems maintaining my weight, and I think I'm losing again since I started running. I just don't know how to eat more as I don't want to snack anymore just for the sake of snacking and I'm rather full by what I eat already.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I thought it was going to be so easy to eat 1520 (AKA the maintenance for my goal weight), but I see that number and get terrified because I haven't regularly eaten that much in a long, long time. I'm comfortable hovering around my 1300-1400 gross (900-1100 net) even though I know that's completely wrong and not what I should be eating anymore. Has anyone else had this issue? I don't know how to accept the fact that I really can eat up to 2,000 on my heavy exercise days. Of course, I had no problem eating this much when I was overweight...

Stats:
    5'2"
    20 years old
    You know it's wrong, and yet you constantly do it?

If you can't get your mind around eating at a HEALTHY target, that means NET of at LEAST 1200 calories, then I suggest you seek some professional help.

No way EVER should you be netting 900-1100 a day.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

Stats:
    5'2"
    20 years old
    You know it's wrong, and yet you constantly do it?

If you can't get your mind around eating at a HEALTHY target, that means NET of at LEAST 1200 calories, then I suggest you seek some professional help.

No way EVER should you be netting 900-1100 a day.

I totally understand that I've probably gone about the last 8 months all wrong. I lost weight a few years ago and did it much worse than this; think eating 600 and trying my hardest to burn all 600; avoiding a 0 net this time around was a victory for me because I did have that history of horribly disordered eating. Obviously the way I did it before was not sustainable, hence me ending back up here after gaining all the weight back plus 15 pounds.

I guess my question to you is, if I've been so low for so long, should I not be as gradual with upping my count and start netting at least 1200 right away, or should I still "reverse diet" and start netting at 1000, go up to 1100 next week, 1200 the next, etc. etc.? I have a feeling netting 1200 won't really "shock my system" and cause a water weight gain.
  • abbeyjones1994
    abbeyjones1994 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would at least go up to net 1200 even if you have a temporary water gain (which you may not). It's the safest thing to do and the water weight isn't fat. Just know that it's normal and ignore it. After that, you can start increasing by 100 a week until you reach your maintenance.

That's what I figured would be best. Thank you! I'm glad that some people realize there's a huge difference between knowing something is the wrong way to do it and actually having the ability to do it. 8 months of restriction is a lot, so it might take some time for me to be okay with changing my mindset, but I know this is for life and it's time to match my actions with my thoughts.