Things to think about before you skip your workout

Options
I am new to regular exercise. So, I am trying to form a new habit. Some days it is really hard. I found this article "10 Questions to Ask Yourself Before You Skip Your Workout" and it has really helped me so I thought I would share it. http://exercise.about.com/od/plateausmotivation/tp/beforeyouskipyourworkout.htm I read that it takes 66 days to change a habit or acquire a new one. So, I have made the commitment to stick with MFP and the changes I am trying to make with in my lifestyle for 66 days before I say that I can't do this. I think I am at 42 days. I can't say that I love the gym. However, I do love that I am doing it and I have not given up. I know that I have made progress in other areas of my life in the last 6 weeks too. [That has been cracking me up.] At one point in my life, I was confined to a wheelchair for 8 years due to a brain aneurysm. So, the fact that I drive myself to a gym and get on a treadmill is a miracle. I have pushed hard before . . . like walking again. I just refuse to give up on exercise or reaching my goal weight. Really grateful to have discovered MFP!

Replies

• GwhizzE
    GwhizzE Posts: 6
    Options
    That's so amazing! I had been going to the gym but I let myself fall away. Going out of gratitude is a great way to get yourself there. Keep up the great habit building! :)
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    That is a great mindset to have. You are on the right track. I think after making going to the gym a habit, eventually you'll come to a place where it will actually bother you not to go.

Also congratulations on your miracle! That is incredible.
  • philpottl
    philpottl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is a great article, thanks for sharing! Keep up on the MFP, I think it's really true about the taking 66 days to form a habit. I have started and stopped MFP many times, but this round I'm at 72 days and I feel like it's not a "round" this time, it's just now something I do. I have REALLY bad days I've tracked (where at the end of the day, it tells me I'd be 9 pounds heavier in 5 weeks if I ate like that day!!!) but I find that those days are fewer and fewer now that I am tracking daily. It really does help you commit to a healthier way of life.

Your post and your story will help me motivate when I'm thinking of not going to the gym. And I don't know if this will help, but I've tried to stop thinking about not liking going to the gym and have been thinking about what I feel like when I leave the gym. That's a feeling that, for me, is what often times gets me there.

I wish you continued good health!
  • BrownSheep
    BrownSheep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I definitely appreciate the good advice about the words I use to talk about going to the gym and the benefit of your experiences!!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Awesome story OP best wishes for your continues journey. Learning to walk again beats weight loss any day. I just find it a bit dull but more or less straightforward.

Im thinking of a rest day tomorrow an read that article and can answer every one of those questions. Once you build up some momentum, then its much less of a problem, even if you dont like it. You just end up going.