Question for those that go to the gym, but never wanted to o

Options
Well the subject kind of says it all.. But here's the thing;

I used to love exercising, I played Rugby, Squash, Tennis, Cycling, Canoeing, Football (or soccer to those that don't understand the world's game haha), I used to be very active and never really stepped into a gym. I would go for runs outside, I never did weights (they bore me) but I never had to due to the activities I was doing, plus if you do a lot of contact sport or upper body sports / pushs up, you don't really need to either..

Now I am not so active (hence the reason to lose 4st) and I really don't enjoy exercising at home (I live in a shared house with limited space), but I love the feeling I used to get when I ran outside. Now I'm more paranoid about looking like an overweight person who can't run (which is such a mental issue that I am trying to deal with)

Over the years I have spent hundreds joining gyms, lasting a few weeks and then cancelling and losing money. But I am hoping there are people here, who have been in a similar predicament and can offer some advice or insight into how you got over the mindset and now see the gym as part of a daily routine??

Thoughts and comments (even ridiculous ones) appreciated and welcomed :)

Cheers
Marcus

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i hate hate hate the gym but i just force myself to go anyway because i know i need to do the c25k thing
    so my suggestion is set yourself gym goals and time limits so then you know that you need to go to reach your goal instead of just going for the sake of it
    another thing is i feel soooo much better after ive been!
  • michelle2566
    Options
    I joined a gym and was a bigger than I wanted to be,but I just got on with it and when I got there I found there were all sizes there some even bigger than me.........I go 4 times a week now twice in the gym and twice in the pool,I have lost 49 pounds and now dont even think about how I look I just go and do what I need to do to get the rest of the weight off.I say go for it join and enjoy it.
  • Susanr26
    Susanr26 Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't know where you live - but a great alternative to a traditonal gym is CKO kickboxing. You punch and kick heavy bags instead of the air (like in some gym classes) . You wear with gloves of course (so no hitting actual humans) . Its an fantastic cardio AND strength training workout. There are also "gyms" dedicated to spinning - like SoulCycle in New York. Most of these places have a free introductory class so no commitment. And I know CKO has the option to pay $20 bucks for one week unlimited so you can try out different insturctors. Wishing you the best!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i have a similar story, i used to play hockey, tennis, do martial arts etc... Then i got ill, stopped gained weight, i used to go for trials at the gym and hate it, now i've gotten me a gym membership with swimming and classes included, i can vary my routine, i dont go daily by any means, 3-4 times a week is enough for me, i just blast music in my ears and get on with it. I'm very concious (sp) still, but the way i see it is i can either

a) worry about what people think, and always stay fat and worry, or

b) i can worry about it for a while, get in shape, and never have to worry again.

Theres no easy trick, i guess you just get it after a while, i joined up at a gym where i can't cancel, knowing i'd lose £350 if i stopped going helps!
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I never liked gyms. Hubby even gave me an anniversary present to encourage me to go. I just am bored. I cannot stay on any piece of equipment for more than 2 minutes. So instead of wasting money, I try to walk, dance, do yard work, do something I like. My form of exercise MUST accomplish something, not just go around in circles getting nowhere.
  • AbacoRaveness
    Options
    If you truly hate the gym you could try finding other activities that don't involved going to the gym. My husband and I golf... we actually walk the course (4miles) carrying our bags instead of using a cart and we've also starting working with weighted clubs on a daily basis to improve our swing speed (we see it as improving our game, but its actually building muscle and burning fat at the same time!). We also hike... we go to the state part near our house and hike the 5mile trail 1-2 days a week. Then lastly, I ride horses. My horse is young, green, and in need of training. Get on a green horse and work it for an hour at the trot and canter and you will be exhausted when you get off!
    These are the things that we do, but there are lots of other examples out there (tennis, swimming, etc.) None of which involve HAVING to go to the gym or force yourself. Find an activity you love and do it for the fun of it... you'll forget that you're getting a workout at the same time.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I absolutely DO NOT love going to the gym. So, I got a personal trainer for a few sessions - he got me started on a plan, helped with the whole 'gym intimidation thing' and knowing that he was waiting for me to show up forced me to go as well. Now it's a habit and part of my regular schedule.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    For me to start off with having a personal trainer - I had to be there at a certain time to meet up with him...... But it also allowed me time to meet a few other people, and get comfortable with the environment.

Music - if I train on my own my iPod is in my ear all the time!, shop around for a gym where you feel comfortable - and actually like the environment and people. In my case the gym I am going to is extremely " no frills" not one single mirror, tv etc - it is a real "working mans gym" rather than spandex and Lycra - which I love - the guys are so much more supportive.

they also do things like "bootcamps" , boxing etc - it does not have to be boring - and again a PT can help you switch things up.

But unfortunately the reality is only you can get your but off the couch and in there - and the way I tell myself - I can't blame the gym - if I want it bad enough I get in there - even if it sometimes a huge mental battle to get in the door!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Try 24 hour fitness gyms...real gym with real people, and a trainer can definitely help you stay motivated until those endorphins kick in and make you want to be there.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    hey mpev ,

I had the same issue when I was really overweight. It didn't really bother me as much as it seems like it's bothering you. Nonetheless, i had the same issue. I was self-conscious of the way I looked while running outdoors and while in the gym.

As for running: In the beginning of my weight loss phase I ran either early in the morning (before sun came up) or at night. This way I didn't have to worry so much about how I looked.

As for the gym: I just stuck it out and went to the gym. At first I'd go early in the morning when it wasn't crowded. But soon after I just realized there are people of all sizes there and just went at times that fit my schedule. When you are there you have to stop focusing on your image. If you take a look around there are people of all sizes there - and most likely more overweight than not. And since everyone is there to achieve similar goals you will most likely find people/friends that will be supportive of your own weight loss regimen. By supportive I mean give you tips/advice on dieting, weight training, etc. Tips/advice and watching those that are fit do a particular routine helped me build my own. Lastly, people that like to workout or are very fit like to talk about their routines/diets/etc. They are great sources for information.

Just hit the gym and soon you'll see results that should make you more comfortable with going to the gym (but by then you won't care about how you look).

Good luck.
  • busygirl1
    busygirl1 Posts: 217
    Options
    I love the gym, I cancelled my membership in Feb to save money but have just reinstated it! The trick is to use ALL the facilities! go to different classes, use the pool, change the music on your MP3. It can get boring if you let it but that's when you need to change it up a bit. Even better is to strike up a conversation, i met some nice people at my gym. Good luck to you x x
  • Marcus_E
    Marcus_E Posts: 124
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the quick replies. And some awesome comments as well - really appreciate it.

Common theme really, which is good to know.. Well the next two weeks, I am travelling with work a lot and won't have the time to sort this out, but I like the idea of organising a personal trainer - means you have to commit to someone - it's their time as well..

So will pop into my local time during the week and organise something - you're all right, it's just a matter of getting on with it.. Really it should be the least of my worries.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about the teachers. I take amazing classes at my gym and the teachers keep me motivated. It's good music, lots of sweat and classes with both men and women (men are not going to waste their time on a exercise class that sucks).
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I am a gym owner, so these posts always interest me. I don't know where you live, but ask for the ablility to join month by month. Trust me, gyms are struggling, like every other business. They should bargain with you, not pressure you. You should never have to shell out hundreds. If you want to discuss with me what they are trying to pressure you with, I can give you some hints in how to deal with it.

On a positive note, ask for trial memberships, trial classes, and even a consult with a trainer.

If you have a program that is progressive and full of variety, you will not get bored. As far as feeling uncomfortable about yourself, maybe you could join the gym, make some friends, and then transitioning to things outside together.

Anyway, I'm happy with the suggestions I've seen here.
  • shortly24
    shortly24 Posts: 18
    Options
    I love going to the gym now. But before? No way!

So what changed?

I joined a small gym. In my case, womens only.

I got a place that sets a programme and reviews it often.

I get to go to classes that are fun and inspiring. And small. Often only 4 people! Makes a big change.

I slot it in at different times of day so it's never too routine.

I got them to do me up two different programmes so I'm not stuck doing the same thing day in and day out. It means I have two of each and two classes each week if I make it six days.

And I got some bits and pieces like a swiss ball and dumbells so I can exercise at home on the day(s) I dont' fit it in.

I make an effort to talk to people so i have some 'gym friends'.

It all works in together to help keep me motivated. That and the fact is is working! That always helps.

Best of luck finding an option that works for you.
  • chollylops
    chollylops Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I would also say try and go for one that has a pool too - gives you variety too. Also don't over commit yourself - the thought of HAVING to go every day will probably bore you from the start. I go 3 times a week and it's just right for me - I could squeeze a couple of more sessions in if I wanted to but what I am doing is working right now. I have been a member for years but always got bored after a while - now I miss it when I don't go and even squeezed in a couple of quick swims last week as due to work I couldn't do my normal sessions - it really has helped me keep positive and feel like I am doing something towards weight loss - I honestly believe that I have managed to lose weight this year because of going to the gym. I also make use of the electronic scales every 4 weeks so I have my little piece of paper to show me how well I am doing! The other thing that works for me is having a gym buddy. Because I give her a lift it commits me to go - otherwise I would be more tempted to find 'something' else to do - so a personal trainer may be the answer too.
    Good luck!
    Wow thanks for all the quick replies. And some awesome comments as well - really appreciate it.

Common theme really, which is good to know.. Well the next two weeks, I am travelling with work a lot and won't have the time to sort this out, but I like the idea of organising a personal trainer - means you have to commit to someone - it's their time as well..

So will pop into my local time during the week and organise something - you're all right, it's just a matter of getting on with it.. Really it should be the least of my worries.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU..
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I hope I understood the question right, but here goes my sort-of-off-the-wall take. I disliked gyms in the past, too. And I would pay and never go and end up wasting money and cancelling. But now I have a whole new approach, and yes, it's all mental. I view my whole experience--getting healthier, losing weight, getting in shape, toning up,and eating right--as an "adventure" I am on. Kind of like climbing a mountain. If I fail, it has tremendous implications. Like...my life depends on making it up and down the mountain, you know? So with that attitude, I now include the gym as part of what I absolutely need to do. Currently, I use the gym for lower body strength on Nautilus-like machines, and treadmill work on days where the weather makes running outside inadvisable. For upper body strength, I use dumbbells at home (takes very little space, can be done in my bedroom). I run outside three days a week whenever weather permits. But the trips to the gym I now view as life-saving. To use the mountain climbing adventure analogy again, the gym has been like overnights at base camp waiting for the weather to clear. Thank god I had a gym membership on those mornings early on when in the dark of winter, freezing rain, I couldn't run outside. Anyway, good luck with it and hope it works out for you too this time!