Toes get numb during elliptical workout. Any ideas why?

i spend about an hour a day on an elliptical. About half way through my workout, my toes start numbing. Any ideas on why or prevention?

Replies

• maceyanglin
    maceyanglin Posts: 33 Member
    I have flat feet, mine did the same thing during zumba for a while... I think once i was drinking more water it improved. But that could have just been a coincidence. Good Luck! I think if it persists and you are worried then go to the Dr. just encase
  • jenmom2myboys
    jenmom2myboys Posts: 311 Member
    I use my elliptical everyday and just got new sneaks with better cushioning, it helps.
  • NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Happens to me sometimes. I go 45 min. Now I make it a point to re-position my feet in the "pedals"every so often. Shuffle them forward or back... Seems to help.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,097 Member
    You feet will swell as you workout, so I repeat the advice of making sure your shoes are not too tight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,501 Member
    The MAIN reason is unlike running, walking, jogging, etc., your feet have contact all the time with the pedals and with your full weight on them they compress the nerves. The less compression you put on them, the less numbness you'll have. Sometimes it's shoes, sometimes it's just lifting your feet off once in awhile. You'll have to experiment to see what works best for you, but also look at other options if it continues regardless if none of the advice helps (it could be that your weight for your height will make it continue). Walking, biking, spinning, rowing etc, are other options. Cardio is cardio pretty much and the goal is just to burn calories. How you do it really doesn't matter much when it comes to weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    It very well could be the incline setting on the machine. If your toes are elevated higher than your heel, your toes don't get proper circulation. Lower the incline and INCREASE the resistance to get your heart rate up :)
  • Iwilldothis4myself
    Iwilldothis4myself Posts: 34 Member
    Shoes may be too tight and also if your heart rate is too high it can make your feet start to go numb so just slow down a little bit and give your heart time to catch up. :smile:
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    If you're up on your toes the entire time, that's more apt to happen. Try keeping your feet flat on the pedals and you shouldn't get any more numbness.
  • sharrondking
    sharrondking Posts: 5 Member
    Thanks so much for the advice. The journey continues. #committed