Finding Time For Exercise

Options
I am a stay at home mom of 9 kids. 7 in school 2 at home. If I can't walk in the morning when the 7 are in school, I usually go after they come home. How do I stop feeling guilty for making my kids take care of the younger kids while I go for a walk. I am usually gone for 30 min.

Replies

• UppityWoman66
    Options
    First of all: do not feel guilty. It's good for the older kids to learn responsibilities and to care for others. : ) Second of all, I remember, as a kid, walking with my mom around the neighborhood to help her get some exercise in. Though, with 9 kids, I think you more than earn some walking time to yourself. You Go, Mama!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Do your kids at home take a nap? Can you take them for a walk in a stroller?

Pull up a YouTube video or pop in a DVD. Look for something low impact so you won't risk waking them.

Walk At Home videos are low impact. They are chaptered so you can do them in pieces....this one has 10 minute segments: https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/Leslie-Sansone-Mix-and-Match-Walk-Blasters-p/2024.htm

Jessica Smith's YouTube channel is great! Look for low impact options there.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    19MKCKE95 wrote: »
    How do I stop feeling guilty for making my kids take care of the younger kids while I go for a walk. I am usually gone for 30 min.

Have your husband watch them, when he gets home.

• Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing. Eventually everyone will get used to the routine...
  • LITtlerMeCO
    LITtlerMeCO Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty for taking care of yourself, you'll actually be a better mom if you are more fit.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    19MKCKE95 wrote: »
    I am a stay at home mom of 9 kids. 7 in school 2 at home. If I can't walk in the morning when the 7 are in school, I usually go after they come home. How do I stop feeling guilty for making my kids take care of the younger kids while I go for a walk. I am usually gone for 30 min.

Go in the morning while they are all sleeping... I see allot of Moms in the gym at 5AM...
  • 19MKCKE95
    Options
    My kids don't always take naps at the same time. My husband gets home most nights around 8 pm but then I have to give the younger ones their baths and put them to bed. Dad has more work to do at home because it's tax season.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'd prefer a mom who lives to be like, 100, and gets to be my mom for as long into my life as possible, to a mom who dies earlier or is incapacitated earlier because she didn't take care of herself.

This is me being dramatic to illustrate, and is not meant to make anyone feel bad or blame anyone for having health problems. But seriously. It's 30 minutes well spent. You are important to your kids, and they will want you around for their kids, and their kids' kids if possible! (And they'll appreciate a mom with lower stress levels too!)

Plus: You're being a role model to your kids. Not just for keeping active, but for prioritizing yourself and placing value in yourself. You want your kids to grow up and take care of themselves too!

Finally: My parents were pretty busy when I was little. Working, chores, etc. I honestly do not think I was harmed by it, nor do I think I noticed or cared that they were not with me 24/7. I had brothers. Books. Toys. A backyard. A TV. Etc. I would have been perfectly fine if my mother had taken a walk without me every day. :)

(Also seconding the suggestions of including the kids, or using YouTube videos, if/when a walk by yourself is not going to work out.)
  • 19MKCKE95
    Options
    My teen girls help out and don't fuss but usually have a ton of homework. My boys 18, 13,12 and 9 are the ones who complain the most.They have no homework and if I put them in charge of the little ones some on gets hurt and I come home to fighting and crying. That's when I feel guilty.