Fear of failure...

Options
ms218899
ms218899 Posts: 11 Member
I'm back on track after losing 70+ pounds several years ago. I was able to maintain it for about a year and a half, and at the time I never imagined I would gain back much of what I lost. But a knee injury derailed me, stopped my ability to run, and left me without much motivation. I found it again, and have been back on track for several weeks. But I definitely fear failing again. Has anyone had a similar experience? Would love some support/friendship along this journey back to optimal health!

Replies

• PacificLotus
    PacificLotus Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Failing again? You lost 70 pounds! That's definitely not a failure. Gaining it back is a learning experience - you know what derailed you and can plan accordingly. I've lost and gained the same 30-ish pounds about 4 times now - each time learning more about the process, maintaining, and about myself. It'll stick sooner or later. Feel free to add me. :)
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 and gained back 45. So yeah, I can relate.
  • BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I can definitely relate. I had lost about 60 and then gained back 90 before finally coming back here. I know not to make the same mistakes again once I reach my goal weight.
  • FrancisCV7
    FrancisCV7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    The road to fitness is an endless one. You're going to encounter setbacks, like your knee injury, along the way. So, you deal with it and like you've done--you get back on track. We can't expect the unexpected and we certainly can't let the fear of the unexpected keep us from working hard.
    You can do this :)
  • ms218899
    ms218899 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the votes of confidence! I just look at how hard I worked before to get where I was and maintain it for awhile, and it was so disappointing to fail. It was definitely a learning experience, and I'm just going to continue to use that as my motivation.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand on how a major injury can be a setback - or just changing habits. I dropped 30kg, rebounded 10, then dropped back down to my 'now' weight.

This whole lifestyle change, healthy habits game is a long, long one. The thing is that there's never an endpoint. Your injury shouldn't be an endpoint - it should mark the start of your transition into something different, something that worked better for you.

The gradual increase back up to starting weight isn't the endpoint, it's the opportunity to draw a line in the sand and get back to good habits.
  • MissyBfit
    MissyBfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You have done so well :) I need motivation too!Just started this week!Anybody want to help me along,would be most welcome :D
  • MissyBfit
    MissyBfit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I also have a knee injury!
  • krae34
    krae34 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hello yes!!!! And I had a daughter as well s a knee injury!!! You can still do this!!! I am sure in these few weeks you have never felt better!!! You also look at thinks in positive ways that you never looked at !! Keep it up you can do it!!!!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It might help you to read the well known book feel the fear, but do it anyway by Susan Jeffers. A lot of it is a mind game. Sometimes I have moments of struggle and doubt, but tbh im too bloody minded and focused to envisage not reaching traget its just a matter of when.

Instead of fearing the sky might fall in, there are simple steps you can take to ensue that no matter what happens you can deal with it. In terms of diet my failure risk is about 5% and thats to keep me honest. It would be dull not to get to target.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    It makes me a little sad that you use the word failure. This is your life, not practice. You put on some weight, you lost some weight you put some weight on again. This is not a failure, its a set back. You are strong, you were strong enough and dedicated enough to loose 70lbs. That's a lot!! You know you can do it, but then you had a set back. Now you want to loose it again. You know you can do it because you've done it before and you can do it again.

Physical set backs sucks. I had a shoulder injury that put my training to a halt. I could of trained but instead I felt sorry for myself and made excuses. I gained over a stone. I could kick myself for letting my focus slip.

I took a look at my belly one morning and decided enough's enough. I joined MFP and got back to training. I don't do certain exercises that i know will exacerbate my shoulder pain but I do believe that getting back into training and working the muscles around it has helped. I also get all those great endorphins from working out and I'm feeling good.

Get stuck in!! good luck X

• byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I totally feel you. I have dealt with several rounds of injury to my hip/SI joint. Each time it makes me so depressed. I love to run but I have been told by 4 different docs (all different kinds) that I need to stop running because of my joints. So there were months where I wasn't able to much of anything for physical exercise. I gained about 20 pounds over the last two years. It made me even more depressed. I have been feeling really good for about 6 months now, and about 3 months ago I jumped back into my healthy lifestyle that I love so much. I feel much better in general and I have lost about 12 of those 20 I had gained. I am on my way, and so are you!!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Feel free to ad me! I lost 25 lbs and have now gained it back and am struggling. Everyday is a new beginning! We can do it!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    35d62c6c6007e9706b625ed2f65f97c9.jpg

Welcome back! You made a great decision to come back and try again!