The Paradox of Singledom

Options
sammycee15
sammycee15 Posts: 12 Member
I've been single for about a 1 year and half. I have loved most parts of it and it has been a huge motivation for getting in shape since I no longer have a safety net of someone who should love me regardless of the number on my waistband. But I found that

a) though being single does motivate one to get into shape
b) involves a lot of dates, drinks, and dinners

How do you guys cope with maintaining a gym routine, eating healthy, and still being able to go out for drinks and dinner?

Replies

• Markdjones83
    Markdjones83 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Dates? What are those?
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Dates? What are those?

LOL
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    lol I feel you girlfriend! Try just meeting for a drink and get a "friendly" cocktail, like vodka and soda or a glass of wine. OR go for Japanese , which is usually a safe bet for calorie conscious eating. It's hard dating and eating out alot and staying in shape. Just make sure you log everything and work off the extra calories! Oh yeah and have fun. :)
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »
    lol I feel you girlfriend! Try just meeting for a drink and get a "friendly" cocktail, like vodka and soda or a glass of wine. OR go for Japanese , which is usually a safe bet for calorie conscious eating. It's hard dating and eating out alot and staying in shape. Just make sure you log everything and work off the extra calories! Oh yeah and have fun. :)

Trying to log everything whilst eating out will probably kill any chances of it being fun. Imagine having to ignore your friends every so often to play about on your phone whilst attempting to find exact nutritional information for whatever it is you've just eaten/drunk.
  • almondbutterbay
    almondbutterbay Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I go on a lot of dates that don't involve food - like going bowling, ice skating, to the movies, walking around downtown, on carousels, walks on the beach

I also like coffee dates and I find if you plan around dates you can make drinks and food fit into your food journal
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    How many dates are you going on?

I typically go out twice a week. I just make sure that I am disciplined during the day and somewhat careful over dinner. On the days I don't go out, I'm pretty disciplined.

I workout at 6:15am so dates don't get in the way of my gym routine. I will call it an early night though - especially if I don't like the guy.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Wait until you find someone and fall in love... Fitness goes out the window for most people. Then you find yourself down the road 3-4 months later, 15-20 lbs heavier, wondering what the hell happened.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    almost all restaurants have options for people who are watching what they eat (and I am not talking about salad) :) I don't generally drink while out on a date as it generally involves me driving - just enjoy yourself
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Never mind, I read that wrong.

Being single or taken shouldn't be an excuse. You can find all kinds of excuses to blame being out of shape on, but it boils down to desire. Either a desire to be in shape, or a desire to put food in our face (too much food that is).
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    nm212 wrote: »

Trying to log everything whilst eating out will probably kill any chances of it being fun. Imagine having to ignore your friends every so often to play about on your phone whilst attempting to find exact nutritional information for whatever it is you've just eaten/drunk.

Or, you know, log it in when you get home afterwards. Just a thought.
  • sammycee15
    sammycee15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Haha you guys are all awesome. I go on maybe 2 or 3 dates a week I guess. I wish I was a morning person but I like hitting the gym after work because it helps me sleep better at night

I think I always took the drinking on dates as a rule of they start to loosen up and show the real side of them. Who knows! I just miss bourbon :) but loving the bod.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Jeez, if I go on 2 or 3 dates a month Im feeling pretty on top of the world...that I actually met 2 or 3 guys to go on a date with that month. Cause usually its less...a lot less...like, Netflix every Friday night less... hrmm I need to do some self reflection on my dating life..this might be why Im still single.

Soo yeah, personally, when I go out, I try to find the menu online before I head out to do my calculations. Also, since my dates are planned a few days ahead of time, I try to give myself a cushion of calories though deficit / exercise, that way I have something "in the bank" by date night, so to speak.