Blenders and food processors!

Options
hey guys! I really want to invest in a new blender and food processor, but don't want to spend a whole lot. I make green smoothies in my blender and hope to make nut butters, almond meal, and "ice cream" (frozen banana based) in the food processor. Any good ones you guys use?

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    You can do all that in a vitamix. They have a pretty good deal on them at Costco if you're a member. I'm not sure what your budget is though
  • jangus9416
    jangus9416 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah vitamix is way out of my budget lol I almost went for a ninja but reviews made me change my mind
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My hubby is the blender guru. He swears by his Ninja. I'm not allowed to touch it.
  • jangus9416
    Options
    Do you think the ninja is powerful enough to make nut butters? Or should I still invest in a food processor?
  • gaelowyn_pt_duex
    gaelowyn_pt_duex Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    My hubs got me the ninja professional blender/processor. I use it daily to make smoothies in the two "individual" cups. I've used the blender as well to make large batch smoothies. I haven't used the dough hook or "food processor" type bowl. I love how fast it blends. like 3 seconds for the indi cups. and it pulverizes the ice or frozen fruit completely. no chunks. Not sure where he got it- here's a link though to see all that was included: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ninja-Supra-Kitchen-System/28861023
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »
    Do you think the ninja is powerful enough to make nut butters? Or should I still invest in a food processor?
    You definitely still want a food processor. I have an old robot coupe that I would never part with.

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Your basic $20-ish blender works fine for most purposes. I remember in the 1950s, when my father worked for Hamilton Beach, one of the ways they tested blenders was by making peanut butter -- so, yes, a blender works for nut butters, perhaps better than a food processor. Our present blender is an Osterizer from Walmart. Works as well as its predecessors. I believe I've owned a total of 3 over the last 40+ years. They do last a very long time.

My 1970s Hamilton Beach food processor refused to die but I finally got tired of it and gave it to a young friend who was just starting out. We now have a Kitchen Aid factory reconditioned one we got from their website. The factory reconditioned stuff from them is 1/2 price. I expect it to last until we "move into the home" 20+ years down the pike.

Oh, and there are three other blending/processing toys I highly recommend to complete your kitchen:
    • an immersion (wand) blender for doing soups
    • a cheap little mini-processor for doing a few nuts, etc. Black & Decker has one for about $15.
    • a coffee grinder for doing spices
  • breelizabethbiscardi
    breelizabethbiscardi Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have the ninja that came with a blender,food processor, and three single serve mini blenders. It works great. I make "nice cream" using the processor, smoothies and sauce bases in the blender and the base for baby food, and homemade cashew and almond milk in the small single serve blenders. It's not as powerful as a vitamix but it was cheaper and it works for my needs :) I'm vegan and use it for pretty much everything.
  • breelizabethbiscardi
    Options
    Also I make sunflower and almond butter with the processor that came with the ninja :) so yes it's powerful enough
  • jangus9416
    Options
    Thank you so much! Today I reached the halfway mark with my weightloss, so I think the ninja will be my reward!