Counting Calories Burned

MRivera422
MRivera422 Posts: 62 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there a semi-accurate way to count calories burned? There seems to be a whole bunch of controversy on this topic. Anyone who says they burned a good amount of calories (600+) automatically gets shot down by someone saying there is no way that’s accurate. Some say polar watches some say cardio machines. Can I trust an elliptical when I’m in the gym? Can I trust a watch when I am running outside or lifting in the gym? What is the best way you keep track of your calories burned during your workouts?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited March 2015
    <shrug> They're all semi-accurate (with accent on the semi), but all the methods have very wide margins of error. Best approach I've found is to pick a consistent method (using the MFP estimates is easiest), not eat back calories at first and then adjust intake up a hundred calories or so at a time if you're losing too fast. Trying to get any more accurate is just a waste of time.
  • CroakerNorge
    CroakerNorge Posts: 165 Member
    I use a heart rate monitor - it works for me. I've always entered the calories I burn, per the HRM, into my tracker, to use, and I've never had to adjust anything.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Calorie burns will vary by height, weight, age, gender, exertion level, hormones and more.

A heart rate monitor (with a chest strap) measures the difference between your resting heart rate vs. your heart rate at exertion. That's a pretty decent estimate for steady state cardio. The reason I said chest strap....arm movement can throw off wrist only models...plus they measure your pulse only time to time.

If you plug quite a bit of data into a cardio machine....then it's not too bad. But the cardio machine still can't know how hard the workout was for you.

Then you have workouts with up/down heart rate levels....Hiit, Intervals, etc. Heart rate monitors are way less accurate here.

Then you have weight training....the biggest issues of all here. This has nothing to do with your heart rate. This is lifting more, challenging your muscles, fatiguing them. A heart rate monitor captures none of that. Besides people with a higher % of muscle mass burn more calories for everything. A heart rate monitor can only guess.

Make your exercise goals fitness based, not calories burned based. Fitness is mostly for health....calorie burn is just a small perk.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    They’re all estimates based on a set of general assumptions. Since we seldom meet all of those assumptions, there are variances. Just plug an amount and go. If you’re meeting your goals, then keep keeping on. If not, tweak your estimates.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    They’re all estimates based on a set of general assumptions. Since we seldom meet all of those assumptions, there are variances. Just plug an amount and go. If you’re meeting your goals, then keep keeping on. If not, tweak your estimates.

+1

I don't understand why this is so hard for people to realize....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2015
    esjones12 wrote: »
    +1

+2

There is no way to get an exact calorie burn for any one body... no matter how you put numbers on paper, spreadsheet or some machine.. Estimates are the best you can go by and watch your physical scale weight, measurements or even caliper measurements, etc. etc.. move up or down...

edited to add: analysis of your diaries (calories in and calories out and results will give you a streamline over a couple two or three weeks and then tweak from there... trail and error... tweak and more trial and error and then tweak some more...
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member

+1

Some of us noobs are being thrown all sorts of information at once, and it can get quite confusing. That's why I came to the forums; lots of people willing to help make sense of it!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member

+1

Some of us noobs are being thrown all sorts of information at once, and it can get quite confusing. That's why I came to the forums; lots of people willing to help make sense of it!

I was talking about the regulars who constantly give bad information ;) Don't believe everything you read here...
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    I use a Polar HRM for cardio and HIIT training (Insanity, T25, Turbofire etc). I take the number at a ballpark value. I compare it to online calculators and what MFP gives me and take the lowest of the three then even knock another 20% off just to be sure. I will say that from my experience the HRM gives me the lowest number most of the time. But I'm good about pausing it during rest and stretching periods. Not saying it's accurate but it gives me a number I can at least work with and monitor.
  • MRivera422
    Thanks alot everyone! This helped alot!
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    If you eat at your calorie goal and only eat some of your exercise calories, the accuracy doesn't matter. If you eat back all of your exercise calories you are flirting with failure because they can be wrong.
  • MRivera422
    If you eat at your calorie goal and only eat some of your exercise calories, the accuracy doesn't matter. If you eat back all of your exercise calories you are flirting with failure because they can be wrong.

Currently I do not eat back any calories after I work out and this has been working. However, that will change shortly since I am getting closer to my goal and the amount of calories I can eat are getting lower and lower. I am aiming to only eat a small portion of what I burn. Less then half.
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member

+1

I was talking about the regulars who constantly give bad information ;) Don't believe everything you read here...

I take everything with a grain of salt. That and a lot of people are pretty quick to shoot down bad info. Combine it all with a little common sense and I think I've got it. Maybe. Lol. :blush:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited March 2015
    I use 6 calories per minute for everything. Works just fine and is as close to accurate as any other measurement. Plus, it's free.
  • Sassy_xo
    Sassy_xo Posts: 44
    I used to rely on the calorie burn MFP gave me based on my weight, activity done, and length of time, but after talking with my physician came to the conclusion that My Fitness Pal WAY overestimates the number of calories being burned. For example, if it tells you that you burned 280 calories doing an hour of housework, it seems too good to be true, right? According to my M.D., that's because it is! You wouldn't even burn that many speed walking for an hour (at least not at the weight I'm currently at). For right now while I've been saving some money, I've been relying on the info from the cardio machines at the gym based on my weight I enter when I begin the workout and the heart rate monitors connected to the machines. This is generally way more active than just picking off the listed activities on MFP. I finally went ahead and spent the money to invest in a FitBit tracker. I had a hard time justifying it because I'm a broke college student with rent and bills to pay, but my health is worth the investment and from what I've been told by both my doctor and trainer at my gym, this is the most accurate way to get the closet estimate to the calories you are actually burning. Whatever way you choose, just try and be as realistic about it as possible. Don't fall into the trap of letting yourself overeat and justify it by saying you burned a ton of calories at the gym, because most of the time this is just not the case!

It can also be helpful to talk to your doctor or a certified nutritionist or trainer because there are SO MANY conflicting opinions and advice given on the internet, and even though it is all given with good intentions, it is not always the most accurate. Good luck on your fitness journey, and good for you for getting active! :)
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    edited March 2015
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I use 6 calories per minute for everything. Works just fine and is as close to accurate as any other measurement. Plus, it's free.

So 40 minutes of interval training and 40 minutes of Yoga both burn 240 cals?

Or is it more like a system where at the end of the week it all evens out? Reason why I'm curious is because if someone on here is doing a program like P90X3 the schedule is erratic. One day it will be an Agility Vid with high cal burns, next is Yoga, next is Upper Focus with weights, next is Pilates, next is MMX with high cal burns, then Lower Focus type thing. Those will all have significantly different calorie burns.