Protein

It is suggested that protein is vital in achieving weight loss. All of the reasons to support this claim make sense. However, I have dietary restrictions which make most of the normal protein items impossible for me. I cannot eat eggs or nuts, and I cannot drink milk. Suggestions??

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Chicken, steak, pork loin, shrimp, fish...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    What can you eat? :)
  • My dietary restrictions are due to lactose sensitivity and IBS. I know that the above mentioned food items are considered protein, but it was y understanding that eating protein immediately following your workout was the goal. I'm not exactly gonna eat chicken or tuna steak after y workout at 8:30am. I need early morning protein suggestions, no??
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited March 2015
    Unless you are a competitive athlete that needs to take advantage of every little detail, trying to get first place instead of second on a stage, then don't over think it. Just eat at your regularly scheduled time. If this is 1 to 4 hours later after your workout... that's ok. Your muscles won't drop off and the workout you just did won't be negated because you ate chicken 2 hours later instead of downing a protein shake 10 minutes after workout.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Well why didn't you say so?

Personally, I think steak or chicken are delicious breakfast options.

But for you, it's worth noting that whey protein powder is extremely low in lactose (a by-product of cheese making so the lactose goes into the cheese) so most people with lactose intolerance/sensitivity are able to have whey without any problems.
    So a whey protein shake made with lactose free milk may be a perfect option for you.

Of course, ham (or Canadian bacon) is a great breakfast protein too.
  • joshuachaztaylor
    joshuachaztaylor Posts: 1 Member
    Hemp protein work good also
  • OliveDrinkin
    OliveDrinkin Posts: 2 Member
    My fave breakfast is a choci protein shake with banana and peanut butter (teaspoon). Or quaker protein Oatmeal, just add water.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    I know that there are lactose free yogurts. I have not tried them since I have not gotten to the point where i am lactose intolerant (my mom hit it a few years ago so I have it to look forward to). I eat a lot of yogurt. I have a friend with IBS and he also has issues with eggs, which is sad because he loves them.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Can you have things like goats milk? In the back of my head, I remember hearing lactose is only in cows milk. Maybe try different cheeses from different animals.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    So many options ... just pick one of your normal breakfast items that is relatively portable, and take it with you on the days you work out.

Ideas:
    Bacon & peanut butter toast
    English muffin and sausage pattie
    Oats make with water or alternate milk products ( Soy, Almond, etc )
    Meal replacement product ( smoothie, breakfast bar, etc ).
    Biscuits and sausage gravy
    Hash ( sausage, corned beef, etc )

Non-TAD ideas:
    Ful Mudammas breakfast burrito
    Tofu scramble
  • I guess I'm gonna need to buy a toaster, haha. Thanks!
  • Thanks to everyone who responded. Very good suggestions all around.