crockpot calories?

Options
I'm making bbq chicken tonight for dinner. It has bbq sauce and italian dressing as part of the recipe. If you have ever used a crockpot or slow cooker, you know that there ends up being a LOT more liquid than you start with. Because of this, I'm not sure how to count my calories for the recipe! Obviously, I'll add the chicken into the calculator as part of the recipe, but what about the rest? I don't use all of the liquid that's left, although I do reduce maybe half of it to make a thicker sauce. Would you use about 2/3 of what you put in since all of it won't be eaten? All of it? I'm not sure what to do :/

Replies

• suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    To be safe - I usually count it all.
  • AllyV0621
    AllyV0621 Posts: 81
    Options
    bumb, because i'd like to know to. sorry i'm no help.
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    To be safe - I usually count it all.

I did (for now), but that can probably be a difference of about 50-75 calories a serving which is quite a bit. I'm stumped on this one haha.
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    I make everything into a recipe and it will break it down into a per serving count for you. Just be real about how many servings you will have or make. I hope this helps :)
    Good luck on your journey!!
  • kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I make everything into a recipe and it will break it down into a per serving count for you. Just be real about how many servings you will have or make. I hope this helps :)

I do this as well, but I'm concerned about the bbq sauce and dressing that won't be eaten and that's left as liquid in my crockpot and how to count that calorie content.
  • chattygirl2
    Options

I do this as well, but I'm concerned about the bbq sauce and dressing that won't be eaten and that's left as liquid in my crockpot and how to count that calorie content.

AH, I understand.. maybe.....you can make the sauce as your recipe and break it down into more servings?? Like 30 or so if your only gonna have 2 Tlbs. and the add your chicken separately. That's about all I got!! :)
  • chattygirl2
    Options

AH, I understand.. maybe.....you can make the sauce as your recipe and break it down into more servings?? Like 30 or so if your only gonna have 2 Tlbs. and the add your chicken separately. That's about all I got!! :)
  • chattygirl2
    Options
    I found this recipe, maybe you can modify it from there!
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/zesty-slow-cooker-chicken-barbecue/Detail.aspx
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

I think you're over thinking this. Just add up all the calories and that's all. If you don't eat the sauce of whatever, that means you consumed less calories, isn't that what you want? Does it really matter if you input it correctly? You're under the limit.
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I count everything I put in the crockpot as part of the recipe. Then when I figure out how many servings, I divide it by the number of servings in the part we actually eat. It's probably a little higher this way, but I figure I would rather be a little over than under.